Kodiak Mountain Goat RG480

I’ve never seen one on the beach but there’s been times I wish I had 😀

Spring goat hunts are still difficult. I think you’d enjoy it.

miloak

FNG
I've done plenty of goat hunts up in the mountains. Wouldn't break my heart one little bit to shoot one on the beach, golf course, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Couple buddies and I are going in March. Never done a spring hunt, but I'm looking forward to it. Hear they're getting a bit of snow....

Aaron

BRWNBR

WKR
There’s been quite a few cost increases in the guide industry the last few years. Air taxi Insurance is taking a jump, guide license fees have also increased. Goats are popular right now. And Kodiak having over the counter tags for them? Ya. Gonna make them a commodity.

I’m on the island right now. Did a three mile stretch of beach rocks yesterday saw a handfull of deer carcasses. Most the deer are on the beaches and sunny side of any slope. Valleys are trackless and loaded with snow. Haven’t seen many goats higher than 500’ (maybe half dozen) nor did I see any on the flight down the island.

I appreciate a easy(er) goat from time to town. As much as I love survival trips, fun laid back trips are good too.

For the OP I’d stick with Sam or contact Jason bunch for the goat still. Nothing cheap about hunting up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One time hauling balls on a skiff in PWS I came around a rocky point and a goat was just cruising on a cliff about 50 feet off the water. No snow or anything, not sure what it was doing.

In summer a lot of times Tahr come off the tops and down into the valley. Sort of anticlimactic really.

carter33

WKR
To piggy back on this post does anyone have any info on which lakes are good/not good to fly into for RG480 for a drop DIY hunt? I am planning one for next September with my dad, currently leaning towards Red Lake but this will be my first hunt on Kodiak.

miloak

FNG
To piggy back on this post does anyone have any info on which lakes are good/not good to fly into for RG480 for a drop DIY hunt? I am planning one for next September with my dad, currently leaning towards Red Lake but this will be my first hunt on Kodiak.

I would avoid Windy Lake. Very difficult to get in and out due to weather, but at least the Coast Guard knows where it is!
As a general rule, the further west you go on the island, the better the weather is, which translates into more huntable days and higher success.

miloak

FNG
@miloak

Any knowledge of lakes 1514 or 1253? They are just a little west of three saints bay.
None from personal experience. Lots of goats in the area and based on the lake names, you should be above the alder line.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I found this post when I searched "Rohrer" because I am looking at putting in for the draw next week. Curious what the OP decided to do?

Nice to hear some AK locals can't make sense of it either.
Ya, $$$$$! The mentality is, well, this guy is charging this much, that means I should charge this much. When some of em are selling a bear hunt for 30-40k, they think, well a moose is bigger than a bear , and more work, so that one should cost the same, or close, and a sheep is the pinnacle of Alaska hunting so that one should cost 15-25k, similar, and jeez, you know what, a goat is almost a sheep, so better charge 10k+!