Kodiak Mountain Goat RG480

robie

WKR
My wife decided that for my 40th birthday she wants to go with me on a mountain goat hunt. Out of the blue this was her offer, I love hunting with my wife and this will be a blast.

I'm turning 37 this month so I've got time to research and book this, but my first question is about the 2 goat limit on Kodiak in RG480. I would be looking at booking 2021 or 2022.

Does anyone know of an outfitter that will let you shoot two goats on this hunt?

From what I can tell is that I would need two buy two permits and it should be legal to harvest two. Am I missing anything?

- - - Updated - - -

I've compiled a list of outfitters for Kodiak that have been suggested on here before. Would one of these over the other be a better experience for my wife?

In my mind for this hunt I want to fly into an alpine like and hike out from there each day. That is the hunt I've had pictured in my head for a few years. It doesn't have to be in RG480 by any means I just want to understand all of my options.

Rohrer ($8500)- Goat Hunting - Rohrer Bear CampRohrer Bear Camp
Cole Kramer (?) - Adventure Mountain Hunts - Cole Kramer, Guide - Kodiak Alaska
Rick Hoskins ($7900) - MOUNTAIN GOAT HUNTS - Hunt Alaska outfitters
Rogue Expedition ($9500) - Alaska Mountain Goat Hunting
Horstman's ($8500) - Mountain Goat Hunting Guide in Alaska Outfitter Guided Alaskan goat hunts

BRWNBR

WKR
Dick Rohrer. Call him or his boys Sam and tell them what you want and see what they say. Hands down that’s the number I would call. I’ve guided that island for 20 years. Those guys are straight shooters and run a good operation.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Dick Rohrer. Call him or his boys Sam and tell them what you want and see what they say. Hands down that’s the number I would call. I’ve guided that island for 20 years. Those guys are straight shooters and run a good operation.

Thank you Jake. I was hoping you would reply. I will call Dick and see what he suggest.

BRWNBR

WKR
Trying to get back into the forum scene. Life’s a little different for me now.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I’m on my mobile and don’t see how to send you a PM. Are you going to DSC in a couple of weeks? Cole will be there.
No I'll be in an Oryx hunt in NM. My buddy drew a tag.

No rush. Just when you get a chance.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

No I'll be in an Oryx hunt in NM. My buddy drew a tag.

No rush. Just when you get a chance.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Curious if you chose an outfitter and if you are still going in a non draw unit? I am in the beginning stages of trying to choose between goat/deer on Kodiak or goat/moose in BC.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I just reached out to Cole Kramer. I haven't heard back but I'm sure he's still hunting

Unfortunately it looks like most of the outfitters have gone up about $1K since I posted this. To me that seems like a steep jump over 1 years time. I'm assuming this is just an supply and demand situation but a 11+% price increase in 1 year is more than the cost of inflation.

Has something changed on Kodiak forcing outfitters to increase their fees? Any know of a young hungry outfitter/guide that is still charging $7K for this hunt?

Rohrer ($8500) is now $9500
Cole Kramer (?) anyone know what Cole charges?
Rick Hoskins ($7900) is now $8400
Rogue Expedition ($9500) still $9500
Horstman's ($8500) is now $10000

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Andrew, I know Jeremy at rogue is on the higher end but he’s a solid dude Andrew runs a top notch outfit!

I'm sure they are all good guys. They have solid reputations but for that price I would rather save a few more and go sheep hunting.

No, that’s a draw zone, Kiluda/Ugak Bay.
Wow, and 476 is one of the least desirable areas, on Kodiak, for a draw tag. The #'s aren't all that high in that area and the access isn't all that great. Access is mainly from the salt via boat or plane (there's only a couple alpine lakes big enough to get a beaver into), which makes for some major bush whacking. Typically 50% of draw tags up here are actually used, and of the 30 tags that were given out for 476 in 2018, 15 were actually hunted and only 7 goats were killed. Less than 50% harvest rate. $13K for a goat hunt in DG476, absolutely no thanks!

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Wow, and 476 is one of the least desirable areas, on Kodiak, for a draw tag. The #'s aren't all that high in that area and the access isn't all that great. Access is mainly from the salt via boat or plane (there's only a couple alpine lakes big enough to get a beaver into), which makes for some major bush whacking. Typically 50% of draw tags up here are actually used, and of the 30 tags that were given out for 476 in 2018, 15 were actually hunted and only 7 goats were killed. Less than 50% harvest rate. $13K for a goat hunt in DG476, absolutely no thanks!

Nice to hear some AK locals can't make sense of it either.