Kodiak Mountain Goat RG480

SLA

FNG
I would check with Mike Munsey, great area, nice base lodge and great long time outfit. Good luck, I love the island been 3 times so far.
Pm me if you want any additional info.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I would check with Mike Munsey, great area, nice base lodge and great long time outfit. Good luck, I love the island been 3 times so far.
Pm me if you want any additional info.
Thanks for posting him. He's $9k but you can add on a second goat. The price per goat is more reasonable. Plus fishing is included. I'm going to give him a call. I wonder if I could DIY some deer while up there as well or shoot a few see ducks.

I will send you a PM for more details.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Currently you can still kill 2 mt goats BUT only ONE can be a BILLY on that hunt (They want to control population)

My explanation for drastic price inflation is demand increase- Baby Boomers are retiring and hold 80% of the wealth. They also grew up hunting so they are finally spending on their dream hunts. I think prices will outpace inflation the next 15-20 years.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
The baby boomer theory makes sense. Hadn't thought about that aspect. If that is the case there should be a sharp decline of clients in the future as they age out of this hunt. That may it may not effect pricing.

I'm good with a Billy and a nanny if that is what the biologist say is best for the heard.

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
They'd probably be happy if you shot two nannies. They are worried about the population crashing so they want to reduce them to a level where they won't.

I wouldn't go there with the expectation of shooting two goats. Kodiak isn't an easy place to hunt. Unless you go for a really long trip you'll likely run out of time.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting him. He's $9k but you can add on a second goat. The price per goat is more reasonable. Plus fishing is included. I'm going to give him a call. I wonder if I could DIY some deer while up there as well or shoot a few see ducks.

I will send you a PM for more details.

I think he charges $1000 to add a deer.

I wouldn't go there with the expectation of shooting two goats. Kodiak isn't an easy place to hunt. Unless you go for a really long trip you'll likely run out of time.

I agree that in most cases, Kodiak isn't an easy place to hunt goats, although I have been on a couple goat hunts down there that were pretty damn easy, but I don't think the expectation of taking two is unrealistic. The last 5 times I've hunted the island have all been draw hunts, so one goat was the limit, but in all of those times, I could have easily killed multiple goats.

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
On the two times I hunted RG480 I could have killed two, but wouldnt have had the time to get them out. Maybe I'm just slow or unlucky

OP
robie

robie

WKR
In my mind it's nice to have options and more than one thing to hunt when traveling that far.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at these hunts for quite some time and have all the same names you do written down. The price increases are just getting insane with all of them. Goat and Sheep are atop my bucket list (like most), but with the current rates I believe I’ll likely be staying on the sidelines.

Last spring, I was quoted an archery sheep hunt in AK for 2022 at 21k. They were booked that far out in advance. I kicked it around hard, but I just couldn’t justify it to the wife despite having the time to pinch my pennies and rat hole the money away. I just checked and that same hunt is now listed for 24k and I’m sure they haven’t slowed down on their bookings any. When you look at this, you could go on 2 goat hunts with much higher odds, or a whole slew of DIY hunts in the lower 48 for several years.

It’s the cost of doing business now it appears. As a non-res, if you want to hunt them bad enough, you’ll either pony up the cash to play or just move there. For now, I’ll keep dreaming.

I'll be down there the first week in March, Boats and Goats round 2. Really looking forward to it! Also anxious to see first hand just how the deer are doing, etc.

We used Jeremy Ruesink's outfit last year and had such a good time that we are going again. They are doing two groups a year and to my knowledge the second slot is still available if any residents are interested. 4-5 people, pretty simple setup with warm sleeping arrangements and food included. Just have to get to Kodiak.

We used Jeremy Ruesink's outfit last year and had such a good time that we are going again. They are doing two groups a year and to my knowledge the second slot is still available if any residents are interested. 4-5 people, pretty simple setup with warm sleeping arrangements and food included. Just have to get to Kodiak.
Is that more productive then flying in with someone like Island Air? Or just more comfortable/enjoyable?

Goats from the boat in the spring is pretty fun. Can hunt all over. I’ve done both in the spring, boat wins.

I haven’t hunted down there in the spring, and I’ve never done a boat based hunt either, although it looks like it would be a blast. My only possible issue with a boat based spring goat hunt is that I’ve seen many, or at least quite a few, killed on or very near the beach. Goat hunting off the beach, or with very, very little work involved, isn’t appealing in the least to me. Not trying to be some kind of stuck up purest, but I just think that goat hunting should be difficult, or at least kind of difficult. That’s 90% of the fun/challenge, as far as I’m concerned, anything less is well, just not really goat hunting. Anyway, just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk