Kodiak Spring Bear Hunt Tips

WCB

Well Known Rokslider
IMO I would take the pistol. For me it is much easier to keep a pistol on me 100% of the time compared to rifle. Get up to take a dump at night or a pee. pistol can literally be in hand. Working on skinning downed game. Pistol is on my side not leaning up against brush or laying on my pack.

Roofer1

Well Known Rokslider
Know you live up that way, so this tip may be lame. Enjoy Kodiak. I was there this past spring and every day (as I drive my boring desk) I wish I was still there.

JustSomeGuy35

Well Known Rokslider
I got my Spring brownie because he was laying on top of the only hill with snow still on it. Spotted a sow below the snow line the day before. Next day, she was there again but the big boy was laying on top. Probably trying to keep cool since temps had jumped to almost 50 degrees. We put the stalk on him and by the time I got there (3.5 miles away) he was heading for a creek.

Like others have said, the boars will likely be chasing sows and hugging snow lines and their hides are extremely heavy. My bear squared at 9'9" and his hide was well over 100 lbs. I was in great shape back then but I would not have wanted to carry it 10 miles. It would take you forever to get back to your truck and you'd risk injury as well.

Good luck!