Kodiak Weather?

bbrown

WKR
Any better options for checking the upcoming weather forecast other than weather.com for Kodiak city and Larsen Bay or forecast.weather.gov for the forecast at the airport? Flying in for the opener towards the southern end onto an alpine lake and was curious how accurate/applicable the reports for the locations at sea level will be at higher elevation.

Last edited:
National Weather Service's "Alaska Daily Weather Briefing" on YouTube. Gives you all local statewide weather reporting, aviation weather, and marine weather, including forecasts.

Nails

FNG
FAA weather cams are in several areas on the island. They give real time views of current weather.

I used the normal weather apps and the “MyRadar” app which shows the storm systems and wind patterns. With that I was able to know when to hunker down and when things were good. Who you headed out with in Larsen bay?

Editing and adding. The MyRadar app is only good if you have Wifi at a lodge or boat. Regular lower 48 service is shit on Kodiak from what I found. I used my inreach and the premium weather that gives you hourly while I was out if I needed.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Thanks. We are flying into a alpine lake with Island Air so no WiFi for us. Can’t wait…