Kotz ba delta caribou questions

mabrams

FNG
As most of you know trying to plan a caribou hunt for the first time and being a newbie to Alaska you mind is going 100mph and it seems you have more questions popping up each day.
What’s the real difference between a hunt out of Kotz vs a hunt on the delta? I have heard that the 40 mile herd is a little less weather dependent to get moving but the animals are fewer. Is the terrain drastically different? I have talked with GE, RAM and 40 mile and I’m not sure I could go wrong with any of these guys. Any info your willing to share would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

VernAK

WKR
There are several threads regarding caribou fly-in hunting.

What it boils down to is finding an outfitter that can fit you into their schedule as the demand far exceeds the supply.

" a hunt on the delta" needs clarification........Delta River?.......Little Delta ........the delta of some other river?

I think what you need to look at is the herd size. The 40 ole herd is small and often times the season only lasts a few days at best. The Western Arctic Herd out of NW Alaska is the largest in the land, currently at 250,000+ critters strong. The WACH herd migrates in mass and the chances of seeing lots of animals is much better in NW Alaska.

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters

Attachments

• 520652_orig.jpg
    520652_orig.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 35
  • Packing out the Bou.jpg
    Packing out the Bou.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 36
Dont only specific zones or units shut down in a few days for the 40 mile herd. I thought the fly in areas ni.rally are open the whole time since it's harder to access

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
Dont only specific zones or units shut down in a few days for the 40 mile herd. I thought the fly in areas ni.rally are open the whole time since it's harder to access

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Yes......the road zones attract great numbers of hunters and are usually closed after a few days as the harvest is high but difficult to predict and it requires a 72 hour closure notice.....IIRC.