Kotzebou hunters

Two Instagram posts from RAMs first 2 weeks are posted above. Here's another.

I just wanna hear some first hand accounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from hunting with RAM. Hunted with Bryan 2 years ago, nothing but a great hunt. This time around not so much. Weather stopped us from going over the pass, one guy in that group was stuck up there for a bit in the snow. So they started dumping people in 23. We were literally by an old mine and could hear that huge mine constantly. We were way to low for that time of year, no one in 23 killed a caribou while I was there. Requested to be moved on the 3rd day and they wouldn't. Did not see a single caribou for 3 guys hiking multiple miles a day. This year it felt like he was just dropping hunters without any scouting to verify caribou were remotely close. He should have canceled the season if you ask me like the rest of the charters if he couldn't realistically put you on game. Late season guys may do well but I wasn't impressed with the effort they put into it this year.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Damn that sucks. I just got back from Kotz last night and one of Ram's groups was echoing your experience to my pilot. Dude that weather system the last 10 days was a deluge. The Noatak is runnin fast high and muddy.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
No offense but the writing was on the wall. Most of the unit was closed to caribou hunting and the reputable air transporters made the call not to drop hunters. Ram has had a solid history over the years of illegal practices and screwing hunters over. Those that decided to continue with them this year are taking a huge gamble and it sounds like it’s not paying off.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
For Christ sake it’s august 31!!!!! Thiers an aweful lot of hunting season left and the last ten days the weather has been miserable. Thier was a closure , what 5 years ago and every one did fine that year. Just let things develop a bit before the mud slinging starts. And yes, I’m booked with RAM on the 17th and we can’t wait to go!!!

Akselaken

FNG
Looks like there has been a couple guys aftrr you that have had good luck. It sucks you had horrible weather. Looks like if the weather would have cooperated it would have been a totally different story for you. And im almost positive that the previous owners ov RAM were the ones screwing people over. I have heard nothing but good things about the new owners.

Slugz

WKR
No offense but the writing was on the wall. Most of the unit was closed to caribou hunting and the reputable air transporters made the call not to drop hunters. Ram has had a solid history over the years of illegal practices and screwing hunters over. Those that decided to continue with them this year are taking a huge gamble and it sounds like it’s not paying off.
Yeah dude, previous owners.

Akselaken

FNG
We head into the field with RAM 9/16

Have you heard anything from Ram recently

badlands

FNG
Just got back from hunting with RAM last week. We had to wait a bit at the hanger due to non-ideal flying conditions further north, but they were able to get us into the field on the scheduled day nonetheless. 1st day we were fogged in until 11 am. After that, had 1 bull down within 5 minutes of hunting, 400 yards from camp. Shortly after that we had 2 more down 3/4 mile from camp. Had 3 bulls cleaned and packed to camp well before sundown that day. Day 2 we decided to hike around a bit with the one tag we had left. 2.5 miles from camp I was able to take a great bull. The crew of 4 before us at the landing strip waiting to be flown out all had 4 bulls, and sounds like the 4 hunters that came in after us also all tagged out 4 for 4. Ive been extremely blessed to have had favorable weather on both of my trips with RAM and wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.

Uintah

FNG
Thanks for sharing! 4 bomber bulls, that's awesome! Just out of curiosity, where did they fly you to? Did you just hunt state land in 23 or did they fly you into another unit? I flew with Bryan and RAM last year and had an amazing time and hunt. I agree with you that I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.

Fillman1

FNG
Flew with RAM 9/16 - 9/22 and were dropped just in front of the big storm. Plenty of animals Day 1-3. Both got bulls on our 1st day of hunting, and lucky we did. Weather came in Saturday afternoon, sustained high winds and substantial gusts with rain, fog, snow until Wed. Saw 5 bears total at a distance, no issues. Caribou had been moving from SW of us steady for the first couple days then petered out to just small groups. A good experience, our camp equipment, tent, cook gear and food was more than adequate. Report of other camps taking life hard in the storm. Caribou is delicious, getting it home was not too bad. Air cargo cost $298 via AK airline. 276 lbs total , 5 boxes plus antlers.

Attachments

• 20220917_104723.jpg
    20220917_104723.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220917_100845.jpg
    20220917_100845.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I also had a great experience with Ram. We flew in on Aug. 17th I do believe we hit the front end of the migration as we did not see one animal while flying north and East. We found them 7ish miles from camp to the East on Day one and after they they just keep funneling through headed West. When we flew out it was pretty clear they had only made it maybe 5-10miles west of us and then no more animals. I believe they may have moved a little later this year than in years past. We had great success and nothing but good things to same about Rams operation.

Larry..... I dont think you get enough appreciation or praise and I know you well enough thats not what your looking for but.... Thank you for having a Back Bone and being a voice/THE VOICE for all sportsman in this tough situation that our Government has put us all in without using common sense, data and bending over and taking it in the ass from the tribes over some feelings.... This year was my first time to Kotz and it was very evident that the locals wanted nothing to do with us being up there hunting spending my hard earned money where I can in there little community. Hopefully the lawyers involved will get the situation turned around for this next season... Thank you for what you are trying to communicate, educate and the represent as a sportsman in the face of the tribes and government!

Little late posting but we had a great experience with RAM. We went in on August 21.
They warned us that a lot of the hunters already in the field weren't seeing much. We didn't see a single caribou on the flight in. First day of setting up and glassing, and still no caribou. The morning we could hunt we got set up on a ridge line overlooking a pretty big valley, no caribou. About an hour in we spotted a massive heard about 3-5 miles away. We got packed up and started the hike. 3.9 miles later we got set up and I took the shot. 312 yards (.300WM) dropped my bull. Mine is the bull in the pack. As you can see from the other two bulls I should've waited to shoot, but the reports of no caribou scared me a little. Chris and I made the trek back to camp. As we came over the last ridge into camp there was a big bull standing 75 yards from our tent. We yelled at Aaron who was in the tent to get his rifle and hurry. He came out of the tent with crocs, a t-shirt, and smoked the bull at about 125 yards (Second pic) .300 PRC.

Second day we went and got the cape and antlers of my bull. On th e way back we saw no less than a couple thousand caribou. Fourth picture is maybe 50-75 yards from several shooters. That evening Chris set out by himself to look around. Within minutes we heard a shot .308 and he got himself a monster. Less than half a mile from camp.

We were all done be the second day we could hunt. Was using the InReach to text with another group only 15 miles from us and they didn't see a singe caribou during their hunt. We were seeing honestly probably over 500 a day. Many walking through camp. Sounds like we got extremely lucky.

We're booking for 2024 already!

Chris's Bou taken near camp.
Chris Caribou.JPG

Aaron's bull shot literally in camp.
received_481558920131944.JPEG

This picture is on fly out day. Caribou just migrating 100 yards from our tent. This group had a couple monsters in it.
Caribou Tent.jpg

Walking back from getting my cape and antlers. Regretting shooting on the first day at this point.
Caribou Crossing.jpg

My bull. First day we could shoot.
My Caribou.JPG

Grizzyly that came into camp one evening. Got about 50 yards from us but was completely uninterested in us.
He had clearly come back that night though as he left us a present about 10 feet from our tent.
Grizzly.jpg