Kotzebue caribou hunt August?

Horby

FNG
Booked sep 9-15 with ram this year.
It’s gonna be tough with the closure that just happened. If you’re going this year and not using ram, you better call your transporter and ask what their plan is. I’m hearing two transporters may not even be flying this year.

5d521162cae11ee1866a072529dd27f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Care to elaborate on who the rumored 2 transporters are? Currently booked for 2023 and patiently waiting for a response from our transporter.

With the closures around Kotz, are there any other herds that drop camps can consistently produce on or are folks relegated to the Haul Road or Adak?

With the closures around Kotz, are there any other herds that drop camps can consistently produce on or are folks relegated to the Haul Road or Adak?

There's lots of GMU's to choose from, besides Adak (Unit 10) and hunting alongside the Haul Road. Sky's the limit, really. All are harvest ticket units (OTC). You should look into contacting transporters that operate in GMU's 9, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24 and 26. Good luck!

40 mile herd. It’s TOUGH finding a transporter though. Kinda have to get in a long line for that. Especially with 40 mile air.

OP
F
Is anyone that is flying out of Kotzebou in August still planning on hunting this year? Are you able to get to a huntable area out of Kotz in unit 26a?

My group is flying out Aug 15th with RAM. I trust Bryan and he said we'd still have a great hunt but it's gonna be more work on his end, can't wait

August with ram will be fine from what I’ve heard from him. September is where it’s going to get dicey. I’d consider rolling until next year if it’s an option.

As stated in their email, Golden Eagle is strongly suggesting all of their hunters push until next year and hope that the closure extending past this calendar year is overturned in court.

Does anyone have a bead on possible litigation against this closure?

OP
F
My worry with pushing to next year is, what if they do another population count and the heard is worse and they eliminate all non resident hunting up there. Is that a possibility?

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
My worry with pushing to next year is, what if they do another population count and the heard is worse and they eliminate all non resident hunting up there. Is that a possibility?

The season for next year is already closed by the FSB and their action on WSA21-01. That said, the state is challenging this in the court system and their challenge is not going to be based on herd size. So a new herd count won’t effect the courts’ decisions and since WSA 21-01 has already caused a closure for 22 and for 23, I doubt a new count will be done or any new WSA are raised as a result.