Kotzebue caribou hunt August?

Currently planning a 2022 caribou hunt out of Kotzebou. Have an aviation crew selected and ready to book. My quest is, is mid august (13-20) a fine time to go? Its the only time that I can get off work so it makes the hunt doable. When we better off going further north?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Unless the herd behaves abnormally based on past 18 years, expect mid august to be best north and east of howard pass, which is a poke from Kotz. On some years when its cooler in july and august (rare) some caribou move a few drainages closer to Kotz by Mid august, so trust your pilot reports to estimate their cost and plausible success.

LBuchser

WKR
Bump for more input. I'm in the same boat, but I'm going this August 14th-21st.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Bump. I’ll be there this year mid-August. Would love to get more info.

OLE1021

FNG
My wife and I went last year August 24th. were in the bou everyday. many large herds. both tagged very nice bulls, and passed good trophies. flew in with arctic air and have no regrets.

enjoy your hunt. it was amazing.

any questions feel free to reach out

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Cool and congrats. Do you recall specifically where you were?

RK08

FNG
There is a group of us scheduled to Caribou hunt out of Kotz Aug 24-31st 2023. We booked with Arctic Air last July. I have seen positive and negative feedback from hunters using AA. I look forward to hearing how your hunt goes. Keep us in the loop and best of luck!

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
We're flying out August 21-27 with RAM.
This year? My buddy and I had to push last years flight off to this year. We are hunting September 7-17. I look forward to hearing how you guy do.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Be sure to get insurance
last year I ran into several groups of hunters that weren’t able to fly out due to weather. Your pilot will get you on the herd if you can get out.

Booked sep 9-15 with ram this year.
It’s gonna be tough with the closure that just happened. If you’re going this year and not using ram, you better call your transporter and ask what their plan is. I’m hearing two transporters may not even be flying this year.

5d521162cae11ee1866a072529dd27f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk