Kotzebue Hunt Recap

Wow beautiful country bou hunting is one of the best trips a guy could take. I did one on the north slope outside of prudoe bay had a great time. Congrats

mooster

WKR
Does RAM have a setup to help you with your game post hunt? Where’d you debone your meat?

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you guys had a great hunt!! I would love to inquire about all of you guys physical condition and performance out there! I’d love to do this with my father but is t in the best shape that he could be.

mooster

WKR
Sounds like you guys had a great hunt!! I would love to inquire about all of you guys physical condition and performance out there! I’d love to do this with my father but is t in the best shape that he could be.
A buddy and I hunted Sidik lake out of Kotz. We’re both early 50’s but avid fitness junkies with running and biking for aerobic fitness, mountain hunting and hiking for legs. I’ll say that hunting a mile & half from our camp was all I wanted. We could go farther but the thought of multiple trips out with a bou on our back kept us on check. Besides there wasn’t any great movement that we couldn’t see from our 1-1.5 mile lookout posts. So for reference where we hunted, and not all tussocks are created equal, a mile was about 50 mins of sweat inducing suckfest.

Last edited:
OP
B

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
Does RAM have a setup to help you with your game post hunt? Where’d you debone your meat?
They’ve got a table set up in their office for you to debone, as well as fish boxes and packing material for antlers

OP
B

brisket

Lil-Rokslider

There are places the transporter can take you that aren’t as hard as the spot we went. We got the choice of an easier spot but we’re told the hunting was not as good

to get ready for hunting this season I was putting in 200 floors on the stair climber 5 days per week and jogging (slowly lol, I’m still a fat guy) 4 miles 2 days per week for a couple of months before the trip

My dad didn’t do anything outside of walking and work around the farm, and my brother plays racketball daily for exercise. Dad is mid 50s and brother and I are 20s

I never felt like I couldn’t keep going. Dad struggled under a loaded pack. If my brother was struggling he didn’t show it

Last edited:

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I trained for 18 months for our hunt. Lifted, ran, biked, hill climbed with a weight vest etc. I am mid 50s but 5'10" and 145 lbs. I was the smallest guy in our group by a long shot.

I felt I could do everything the trip required of me, but we dropped three bulls the last afternoon at 2 miles + from camp. That took a toll on me that I needed two weeks at home to recover from. We had to get everything out before the planes came in the next day to pick us up. I will say that the pack out was the hardest thing I will probably ever do. It was almost all uphill.

If there is a next time, I will consider shooting my bull a bit closer to camp if I have the opportunity!!

mooster

WKR
I trained for 18 months for our hunt. Lifted, ran, biked, hill climbed with a weight vest etc. I am mid 50s but 5'10" and 145 lbs. I was the smallest guy in our group by a long shot.

I felt I could do everything the trip required of me, but we dropped three bulls the last afternoon at 2 miles + from camp. That took a toll on me that I needed two weeks at home to recover from. We had to get everything out before the planes came in the next day to pick us up. I will say that the pack out was the hardest thing I will probably ever do. It was almost all uphill.

If there is a next time, I will consider shooting my bull a bit closer to camp if I have the opportunity!!
I understand. We shot two night b4 take out. Packed until 1230, up at 5, packing again, scrambled for disassembling camp, repack gear. Luckily we contact our transporter via Garmin Inreach and asked if poss if we could be last out in our area. They obliged.

cyocham

FNG
Extra days:
Since we had planned for a longer hunt, we ended up with some extra days to do something with. So we took an earlier flight to Anchorage, rented a car and drove to Seward. We fished for 2 days and limited out on halibut the first and silvers the second.

That's all I've got, sorry it's a little long winded. I wanted to give a big thanks to all the folks on here that helped me out with this trip, both those I talked directly with and those that posted their stories/reviews/recommendations
Awesome trip! Did you have to filter water for drinking?

mooster

WKR
we boiled or UV treated our h20. we were on a lake and water was heavily silted where we obtained it. lots of brush on shoreline and mucky, so we had a hard time getting water w/out swimmies.