Kotzebue Hunt Recap

Uintah

FNG
Awesome trip report! I love reading detailed reports like this. Almost makes you feel like you’re there. Thanks for sharing. We’re booked w/ Ram for 2021. Can’t wait to hear the trip reports from all the guys going this year. Best of luck.

First off this was an awesome report. I loved reading it and feeling like I was right there with you the whole time. Thanks for Sharing. @Santa a group of four of us also booked with Brian and Ram for 2021. When are you going? We chose mid September, 13-20th. Can't wait!

Santa

FNG
First off this was an awesome report. I loved reading it and feeling like I was right there with you the whole time. Thanks for Sharing. @Santa a group of four of us also booked with Brian and Ram for 2021. When are you going? We chose mid September, 13-20th. Can't wait!
Ha! We’ll the crew right behind you. Sept 14-20.

Sconnie77

FNG
We're a group of three booked for Sept 10th-16th with Ram!! I don't know how I'm going to wait that long ;-)

OP
B

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the information. We have our transporter booked and deposit sent. On our moose hunt last year out of Bethel we wrapped the skulls and racks using foam and shrink wrap and were able to check them like bags on our flight. We flew Alaska air the whole way. I was hoping to do the same for this hunt. Any reason that can't work? I don't have space in the house for a shoulder mount so I was planning to do a euro mount and put it in the shop with the moose.

Thanks for your help.

For Ram, it was dependant on which plane thay flew you out in. For our group of 3 they flew 1 in a cub, and the other 2 to a different landing strip in a Cessna type plane. Once at the landing strip, the cub came back and ferried the other two to the hunting spot.The cub had a spot to strap antlers to outside, so there was no need to split them. For the guys that got picked up in the Cessna, the antlers needed to be split as the wing supports didnt have a good spot to tie antlers to.

I'm sure you could work out a way to get them all back whole if you wanted to. My wife is slowly becoming skull mount averse, so I'm limiting what gets euro'd so everything still gets to hang in the living room

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome pics and story! Hope to be that way end of August thru first of September. Congrats on the success!

twtays

FNG
Just got back from hunting exact same camp this September with my son. We got a very nice bull each and my son got a wolf. Ram Aviation was exceptional in all areas and I would recommend them to anyone wanting to do this type of hunt.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
My group and I used to hunt out of Kotz yearly, was a really awesome experience back then. Now it’s overrun with hunters in September and all the air transporters no longer charge the hourly rate, but a ridiculous inflated rate because non residents are willing to pay. Sure miss the good old days when social media didn’t exist.

Uintah

FNG
Just got back from hunting exact same camp this September with my son. We got a very nice bull each and my son got a wolf. Ram Aviation was exceptional in all areas and I would recommend them to anyone wanting to do this type of hunt.

@twtays, let’s hear your story and see some pics! Glad to hear you had a great experience using Ram!

twtays

FNG
My group and I used to hunt out of Kotz yearly, was a really awesome experience back then. Now it’s overrun with hunters in September and all the air transporters no longer charge the hourly rate, but a ridiculous inflated rate because non residents are willing to pay. Sure miss the good old days when social media didn’t exist.
Living in a western state popular with non-resident hunters I understand where you are coming from. However, I take a little different approach regarding other hunters and hunting conditions. My approach is that change is inevitable and that 10 years from today, today will most likely be the good old days for hunting quality, cost, crowding, etc. So I plan to enjoy each year as much as I can while I can. If that means saving and planning for 4 years to do a once in a lifetime caribou hunt that's what I'm going to do.
I echo your sentiment about social media but it is part of the world we live in.

hlunsford22

FNG
Classified Approved
Great write up and pics. My brother in law and I have a similar trip planned for Aug-2022. Will be our first time up there.