Kowa 50mm vs Minox MD50

WestNE

WKR
I had illusions of a Nikon ED50 with MCII but the budget isn't there and frankly I'm not getting out enough to spend the money if it was.

Still no detailed reviews of the little Kowas but anyone spend time with both that can offer a comparison?

Nick

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bcimport

WKR
I’ve briefly looked through the new Kowa but it was smoky so it was far from the best time to create a full opinion. I own an MD50 from minox and have had swaro big scopes and the 50mm vortex in the past too. The minox is under priced for its performance. To my eye it’s better than the 11-33 vortex. I suspect the Kowa is better how much better you need vs dollars spent is up to you.

The value you get from a minox md50 is hard to beat. Picked mine up for $100. Is the kowa better? Yes. But it costs so much more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
WestNE

WestNE

WKR
Just so we are on the same page I am talking about the lower end 50mm Kowa's. There is a used one on the web right now for $220 so it and the Minox are really pretty close. The other contender that I just noticed is a new compact S1 spotter from Sightron. Everyone raves about their glass and no-nonsense functionality in riflescopes, do you think it translates to spotters?

http://sightronusa.com/spottingscopes/

Thanks for the input all!

Nick

I’m seeing the Minox MD 50 for $385. Didn’t it used to retail for 199? Have changes been made to the original?

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
I have bought and sold an Athlon ares and a Vanguard endeavor but still have my MD50. It’s not great but you have to spend a lot more money to get something worth packing over it. It also helps it weights hardly anything

tdhanses

WKR
The md50 is great for the price under $200, it’s not great overall but ive since gone very high end so the lower end optics failures stand out more.