Kowa 553 in low light

Quon24

FNG
I'm looking to upgrade my spotter and am considering a few different brands/models, but the Kowa 553 has peaked my interest due to it's compact size and solid magnification range. My current spotter is a Gen 1 Athlon Ares 65mm, and while it has been a pretty good scope for me, I'm looking for something that does a little better in low light situations.

Based on all the reviews I've read, the glass will be a major upgrade compared to the Ares, but will the Kowa 553 do better in low light with it's smaller objective? I don't spend a lot of time glassing with my spotter, but mostly just use it to verify things I spot with my binos. If I could keep the same magnification range as the Ares, but have better low light performance and save half the weight, I think the 553 would be perfect for me.

Thanks for the help

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 553. The positives is it's very light. The negative is it has an extremely narrow FoV, especially at higher power. In low light it will depend on what magnification you are using as it does with all optics. The higher you go the smaller the exit pupil becomes. So at 45X on the 553 it's going to be pretty dark at dusk. But at lower powers you will get a lot more light in.

Optically it's very good, but I find using it above about 40X is not that comfortable for me. I usually keep it in the 15-30X range and it's fine for that. Even then, the narrow FoV is annoying at times compared to a larger scope.

If you wanted an upgrade, you may want to consider the larger aperture Kowas (60 or 66mm) that are less money than the 553 but will be likely so close in resolution you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in field conditions. They are heavier, but the usable mag range is much better and will be brighter at lower ranges due to larger aperture.

There's always a trade off with resolution and lens diameter. The Kowa is definitely better optically than my larger Leupold Mk4 Spotter for instance. But, the Leupold is brighter just because it's a much larger aperture. Aperture rules. But if you want lighter weight you have to make some sacrifices.

Last edited:
I went down a similar road, wanting to have better low light performance in my spotter.

Doesn’t matter how good the glass is, it takes a big spotter to have meaningful low light glassing. I went up to the 774 kowa and got the performance I was looking for. Anything much less wouldn’t cut it for low light field judging, IMO.

OP
Q

Quon24

FNG
Thanks for the replies. That's kind of what I figured, but just wanted to confirm with someone who has actually used the 553. Looks like I'll just need to suck it up and go with a larger aperture and save weight elsewhere.

KHNC

WKR
Kowa seems to be a great optic from the limited experience i have seen with them.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
They are underrated. My 773 is pretty damn good! That said, I have an older Bushnell Elite that is not too far off to my eyes. If the OP is looking to not spend as much $$, look for one of the 20-60x80 Elites.

Matt G.

WKR
If you are willing to spend the money on a 553 I would steer you towards the 770. You can get some good deals on it if you look. I had both scopes and will take the weight penalty of the 770. The issue is the low light ,although great for a 55, and when at high power, you had to put your eye really close to the eyepiece.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
Q

Quon24

FNG
The 773 is definitely on my short list. Sounds like a good compromise between optical performance and weight. I remember seeing somewhere that Kowa is supposed to be releasing a new spotter. Does anyone know if it would be in the same class as the 773? Just trying to see if I should wait for that release or just get this model.

Matt G.

WKR
I heard rumors about speculation. I want to know too. I wish I knew of it was definate or not and what it is. Then I can save more funds and buy someone else's slightly used for a discount!

If you want more low light performance then larger objective is the answer. Even fair to middlin' glass in a 65mm will outperform great glass in 55mm at the same zoom in low light. That's just physics.

For the other 99% of the time between first and last light though the Kowa 553 will mop the floor with that Athlon.

If you are willing to spend the money on a 553 I would steer you towards the 770. You can get some good deals on it if you look. I had both scopes and will take the weight penalty of the 770. The issue is the low light ,although great for a 55, and when at high power, you had to put your eye really close to the eyepiece.

I'm just the opposite. I will give up just a few minutes at the end of the day, for the weight savings of a glass that will always find a place in my pack.

I primarily scan with my binos, and only pull out the 554 when something peaks my interest and warrants a closer look. Therefore, the smaller FOV is not an issue for me.

Last edited:
The 773 is definitely on my short list. Sounds like a good compromise between optical performance and weight. I remember seeing somewhere that Kowa is supposed to be releasing a new spotter. Does anyone know if it would be in the same class as the 773? Just trying to see if I should wait for that release or just get this model.
It's probably going to be something much bigger, to keep pace with the new Swaro 115.

In my experience you dont lose many minutes with the kowa 553, in most conditions it is usable during legal shooting light and its crystal for most hours of the day. Id rather spend hours glassing through a big 85mm but for confirming and taking short scans, and forgetting its even in your pack the 553 is hard to beat.

In my experience you dont lose many minutes with the kowa 553, in most conditions it is usable during legal shooting light and its crystal for most hours of the day. Id rather spend hours glassing through a big 85mm but for confirming and taking short scans, and forgetting its even in your pack the 553 is hard to beat.
Good call