Kowa 554 vs Kowa 773

gradient

FNG
Yet another spotting scope question incoming.

I'm looking to purchase a spotter in the near future (slightly contingent on the NM draw results). Based on my research, I've narrowed it down to the Kowa 554 and 773. I appreciate that these are very different beasts, but I'm having trouble on deciding what the *right* class of spotting scope is for me.

Here's some context. I hunt about 80% of my time in NM with occasional forays into AZ for Coues and CO for Elk. I aim to hunt Elk and Mule Deer every year, both typically via archery in the back country. I don't want/need to carry a spotter for Elk, as we are typically running and gunning. In addition to the staples, my hunting group can typically count on 1-2 other species a year, be it Pronghorn, Ibex, Oryx, Bear, or Barbary Sheep. Deer + other species hunts are spent behind glass all day. A Caribou trip to AK is in the cards in the next 3 years. I'm not a trophy hunter, but I've definitely glassed up bedded animals in the middle of the day that I had to stare at for a long time to decide if it was actually an animal or not.

Here's a couple of other considerations. I see a lot of really cool stuff through my binos while out in the woods, and I'd really like to get into digiscoping through a spotter (probably phoneskope, but I've also got a Canon DSLR I may try out). Among my hunting buddies and I, we will typically only have 1-2 tags out of 4 guys. I envision carrying a spotter when I'm not carrying a weapon, and roping whoever doesn't have a tag into carrying it when I do, which mitigates the weight penalty somewhat.

My current optics setup is Swaro 8x42 SLCs, which get thrown on a tripod whenever I stop and sit for a glassing session. I've borrowed a number of different spotters from friends, and haven't been particularly pleased with the results. I've tried out the Razor mini, and found that I was able to see less detail than through my 8x binos. I've tried out the Razor 65, and don't think it is enough of an improvement to really want to invest in or carry it. Finally, I rented a Swaro STS 65 for an Oryx hunt, and found it to be largely useless due to the amount of heat waves coming off the white sand. That's not really a point against the Swaro though, as even our binos were struggling in the conditions, but heat waves are a common issue in NM and probably reduce the effectiveness of high magnification anyways.

The going recommendation for the jack-of-all-trades spotter is a 65, but both of the Kowa options seem to have some distinct advantages over that class. I think the gist of my dilemma is, if I go with a 55 will I be left wishing I'd gone for more scope?

tdhanses

WKR
Get both, I did, lol. Really there isn’t one that is perfect, it’s just impossible. That said the 773 with 25-60, plus you can add an extender to it just for fun and get up to 90x, which is great at the range Will probably fit your situation better. The 773 will also be better for digiscoping with the larger fov and magnification.

Also perfect time to get the 773 as its on sale, give Doug a call at cameralandny.

OP
G

gradient

FNG
Good point about the extender, seems like the 77 provides a ton of versatility! The ongoing sale is definitely impacting my decision, I'd previously been set on buying a 55 used and then selling it if I didn't think it was enough scope. Can always get the 77 now while its on sale, and look for a used 55 down the road :D

How comfortable is the eye relief on the 77? I don't wear glasses, and I appreciate that it is still a spotting scope, so << binos, but I've heard the relief on the 55 can get taxing pretty quickly.

The other aspect I'm not super set on is how useful magnifications above 45x really are in the common turbulent atmo conditions down here in NM, but maybe the FOV of the 77 shouldn't be undersold. I'm absolutely in love with the FOV on my 8x over comparable 10s.

tdhanses

WKR
Eye relief is great, the 77 is a great optic, you’ll not be disappointed and you my find down the road a 55 compliments it well.

tdot

WKR
I'm still new to Digiscoping. But the biggest thing I'm learning, is the more light, the better. If that is a primary drive, I'd guess the 77 is better. I havent personally heard from people who are Digiscoping with the 55, I'd be curious what their thoughts are.

But on the general question between the 55 and 77. Unless you have a specific reason for the 55, either weight or size. I'd suggest the 77. I just sold my 66 as I wanted something larger and thought I'd maybe get a 55 for the weight savings, but now after having time with the bigger optics, I've realized that I wont use the 55, as I'd rather opt for the better/bigger optics. This includes an upcoming sheep hunt. Where I'll be taking my bigger spotter.

I've owned and sold several doubles, in my experience they are very limited in use. I'd definently try what ever you decided on for awhile and then add a double, if you need it.

fatrascal

WKR
If you do a lot of hunting while hiking then maybe the 55 is the choice and it gets one vote. If you want to spend less money then the 55 gets another vote. If not hiking then definitely the 77 and it will be the better digiscoper which gets 1 vote. If you are young and hiking with weight is not an issue then another vote goes to the 77. If money is not an issue then I give the 77 another vote.
Personally, if I was going to Alaska for caribou or Colorado for elk then I would not go with the 55 or the 77. I would go in the middle with the 65. That way your cutting weight from the bigger 77 and gaining magnification and digiscoping clarity over the 55. In Colorado there are times when heat waves are not an issue and magnification clarity is good. then the extra magnification power is good to have. I'm sure Alaska will be spotting scope friendly in terms of heat waves as well.
There is not a lot of videos or information about the 55's because I've been researching it myself. There is one video on youtube where two guys are in Alaska comparing a 55 to a swaro 65 and they say everything is similar. But the 55 only goes to 45 power where the swaro 65 goes to 60 power and I know that extra 15 power makes a huge difference. I talked to a salesman at the Outdoorsmans and he said that the Kowa 55 is clear and wonderful out to 1,000 yards. For me going to Colorado and Alaska I'm gonna want something that is better than 1,000 yards and I have a Swarovski with 20 to 60 power and I've spotted and evaluated stuff way out past 1,000 yards. I'm sure the 55 probably can do better than 1,000 yards but what I'm saying is that I want to see more reviews. I'll probably just get a 55 and do my owne review. But knowing what I know after many years of backpack bivvy hunting I'm gonna say that it will be very tough to beat the 65. Fatrascal.

Since you are not planning to carry the spotter AND a firearm, go with the 773. Buy the 554 if and when you need it. Lots of places to shave 20 ounces if necessary.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The 773 has a distinct advantage over any 65mm class spotter with the increased objective lens size. It's also a compact spotter in that physically it's almost the same size pack wise as the 65 class spotters. It's about 3/4lb heavier than an ATS 65, and only a couple ounces heavier than an ATX 65. The 773 eyepiece is amazing, many regard it as the best in the business, the TE-11z wide angle. For $1899 on sale right now for the scope and eyepiece that's a no brainer. I have an extender for it I'll sell that's never been mounted if you go the 773 route. I run a Breakthrough XV4 filter on the front of my 773 to protect the front objective lens, it's awesome in the mountains. The 773 is a fantastic scope, but ANY optic is going to struggle with mirage in the desert, there's no magic pill for that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
If you do a lot of hunting while hiking then maybe the 55 is the choice and it gets one vote. If you want to spend less money then the 55 gets another vote. If not hiking then definitely the 77 and it will be the better digiscoper which gets 1 vote. If you are young and hiking with weight is not an issue then another vote goes to the 77. If money is not an issue then I give the 77 another vote.
Personally, if I was going to Alaska for caribou or Colorado for elk then I would not go with the 55 or the 77. I would go in the middle with the 65. That way your cutting weight from the bigger 77 and gaining magnification and digiscoping clarity over the 55. In Colorado there are times when heat waves are not an issue and magnification clarity is good. then the extra magnification power is good to have. I'm sure Alaska will be spotting scope friendly in terms of heat waves as well.
There is not a lot of videos or information about the 55's because I've been researching it myself. There is one video on youtube where two guys are in Alaska comparing a 55 to a swaro 65 and they say everything is similar. But the 55 only goes to 45 power where the swaro 65 goes to 60 power and I know that extra 15 power makes a huge difference. I talked to a salesman at the Outdoorsmans and he said that the Kowa 55 is clear and wonderful out to 1,000 yards. For me going to Colorado and Alaska I'm gonna want something that is better than 1,000 yards and I have a Swarovski with 20 to 60 power and I've spotted and evaluated stuff way out past 1,000 yards. I'm sure the 55 probably can do better than 1,000 yards but what I'm saying is that I want to see more reviews. I'll probably just get a 55 and do my owne review. But knowing what I know after many years of backpack bivvy hunting I'm gonna say that it will be very tough to beat the 65. Fatrascal.

Personally, I don’t agree after owning all three, well my Swaro was the 80hd with wa, but it’s personal preference, I’ll take my 77 Kowa with 40-90x or 25-60 over the non atx Swaro any day. Yes it weighs more but you would be shocked how easy it is to look through at 90x, yes heat waves can effect it but it’s still usable at times and weighs nothing to have the extender. The extenders do decrease eye relief but not like a traditional doubler.

fatrascal

WKR
Yes the 77 is going to be better than the 55 and 65 mm but I was speaking in terms of weight and backpack hunting which will probably be happening on a caribou hunt in Alaska to some extent. And I don't necesarily mean that you need a Swarovski 65 but any namebrand 65 that goes to 60 power. But I agree that if you want to carry a 77 and the weight is not an issue for you then by all means carry it. I was reading a magazine article where Mike Duplan loved the BTX so much that it will become the scope he will use on most hunts. I've also seen people on this website say they plan on using the BTX on backpack hunts. This I can't even imagine due to the weight. But as you have said tdhanses its personal preferance. What a good problem to have. Trying to decide which great spotter to get. 20 years ago the choices were few.
But this discussion brings up a question that I have. What are your guys opinions of the Kowa doubler? I have the Swarovski 1.7 magnifier and have not used it with just a single eye spotter but its pretty nice with the BTX. With the Kowa does it get too dark? Fatrascal.

I think that little Kowa 55 is a special use spotter. For the little weight (and even less when considering how light of tripod you'll need to stabilize it) it does remarkably well. I owned one for a few weeks last year, taking it on fast hikes with just a small backpack. If someone really needs to minimize weight and still bring a 'good' spotter, I think that is just the ticket. Maybe in a party hunt as a backup spotter.

However, I found my preference is for a 'great' spotter. I figure if I need to bring a spotter, I want the best possible spotter that I can afford. And I have learned the whole ultralightweight thing can be shortsighted. If the 3 lb difference really is important, I'll find it somewhere else to shed. Or hey, maybe I'll just get in better shape.

I sold the 55 and will rely on my 88 for when I feel the need for a spotter. If I had researched the 77 better before I bought the 88, I may have gone that way, but I had glass fever and I wasn't about to let my wallet get in the way. The 77 being on sale right now with Doug is a great route. The Meopta 82 would also be a fantastic route too. I think those two are the best bang-for-the-buck spotters under $2k, maybe under $2.5k.

In regards to the Kowa magnifier, I gave it a good shot on my 883 with several testing sessions. I made some subjective notes at the time and also took some digiscope photos to look at later. In the end, I didn't find it to be advantageous. In every case, I found the heat waves or tiny vibrations of the tripod set up to be the limiting factor instead of magnification. And the air was cold and the tripod set up was still pretty good relatively speaking. The color degradation from the magnifier was also very noticeable. On top of all that, the extended size of having the magnifier prohibited the scope fitting in the case and I really don't want to have to remove the eye piece to install it in the field. I also found that my phone's magnification to be at least as useful and much more user friendly.

tdhanses

WKR
In regards to the Kowa magnifier, I gave it a good shot on my 883 with several testing sessions. I made some subjective notes at the time and also took some digiscope photos to look at later. In the end, I didn't find it to be advantageous. In every case, I found the heat waves or tiny vibrations of the tripod set up to be the limiting factor instead of magnification. And the air was cold and the tripod set up was still pretty good relatively speaking. The color degradation from the magnifier was also very noticeable. On top of all that, the extended size of having the magnifier prohibited the scope fitting in the case and I really don't want to have to remove the eye piece to install it in the field. I also found that my phone's magnification to be at least as useful and much more user friendly.

Mine fits with their stay on case. Yes 90x can be twitchy, no it’s not the best to digiscope with but it’ll get you out there to look something over after you found it. It’s just another option that most spotters don’t give you.

OP
G

gradient

FNG
Thanks for all the great opinions and thoughtful answers. I'm definitely leaning towards the 77 as a generalist spotter for my needs.

What are you guys running as far as cases? The Kowa cordura one? Any neoprene options?

tdhanses

WKR
Pretty much the Kowa cordura is the only option. No neoprene I know of here in the US for The 77.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good decision on kowa. Knowing which one is a delima. I got the 553 about a year ago and no real regrets as I like to have it on my back a lot. My hunting buddy bought a 774 and thats a super nice scope. Probably a little better over all as far as eye relief and light gathering. Just depends on your certain application. With kowa I really doubt you'll really regret either! Customer service is spot in to...

Jardo

WKR
I’m spoiled. I spend a lot of time with my 883 and it’s by far the best available IMHO. sure it’s heavy but I want to see if he’s broken at a mile or more. Can’t do that with a 553.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk