Kowa 55mm and 15x binos

Beckjhong

WKR
Aware of the varying opinions on big binos vs spotter. Saw that S&S archery is having a Kowa sale. Looking to see if anyone uses the Kowa 55mm to complement swaro/meopta 15x or if they are somewhat redundant given the limitations of both. Thanks.

I have both. They aren’t redundant at all. 15x is for tripod glassing all day. The spotter is for looking after you’ve found something to check size/legality/funny looking log/etc.
I usually carry 10x and the 55, if I have 10x, 15x, and a spotter, weight usually isn’t a concern so will have the 88 spotter BUT the 55 definitely has its place and is not replaced by 15s.

Like others have said, I too carry both the 553 and some 15s. Particularly when coues deer hunting. As mentioned, 15s to glass all day, and then the 553 to get a better look and pursue, especially when backpacking in. If truck hunting I turn to the 883 as well but the 553 definitely has it’s place in my arsenal.

HookUp

WKR
I had the 55mm spotter and didn't feel it offered much more than my 12x binos for mule deer and elk. I much prefer a 65mm spotter with a zoom to 50 or 60 over the kowa.

Q child

WKR
Yes and no. I think they are redundant and that they aren't.
I don't carry them at the same time because they overlap a bit. They are plenty different enough though so that they can be used as other guys have said (searching with binos and investigating with the scope), but I prefer to carry 10x binos with my 553. Or 10x binos with my 15s.
They are different enough though, that choosing one or the other makes a difference. The zoom on the scope and the FOV on the binos obviously contribute to that. Also how one will fit in my pack vs the other. I bought a rig so that I could put my camera on the 553, so that is a big advantage over the 15s when I want to be taking photos. Kowa makes a proprietary camera mount that replaces the adjustable eyepiece. Its kinda spendy if I remember correctly, but its nicely made - good machining, tight tolerances.
I recommend the 553 highly. It punches way above its class in both cost and size. Also, it has such a nice, velvety, two speed focuser on it that is a real pleasure to use - probably my favorite focusing mechanism of any optic I own.

NoWiser

WKR
I used the 554, 8X slcs, and 15x slcs this past year. None were redundant. I didn't like the 554 and sold it as soon as I got home from my last hunt. The 664 is worth the extra weight, for me, and it put a big chunk of change back in my pocket.