Kowa 773 - Best Option

Hoovie

FNG
I am looking for my first spotting scope. I have done a ton of research on Rokslide and it seems like the Kowa 773 is highly rated and a good fit for my needs. Anything else I should consider in the $2000 price range? I know cameraland is a sponsor on Rokslide so I am going to contact them tomorrow to get there opinion on spotting scopes as well. Will cameraland have the best prices on Kowas? Thanks in advance!!

dapesche

WKR
Check S&s archery as well for kowa. I believe they are a site sponsor too and they produce some very helpful videos.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Matt G.

WKR
I know there was an meopta in optics classified that was an excellent option. Also if in reg classified someone had the maven for decent deal around 1350. Backwoods pursuit had a good review of all of them.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

peterk123

WKR
Timely post. I am considering the same. I am looking for a scope that can be used at the range for bullet holes, hunting and digiscoping. My wife enjoys shooting animals with the camera and I am trying to decided if it is worth getting an 883. Big bump in price and little more weight and bulk. The question is will her pics be that much sharper? I have yet to find an answer. Any help appreciated! Pete

OP
H

Hoovie

FNG
Yeah Pete I am looking at pretty much the same uses. Would like to get a digiscope and mainly range use as we only go out west 1 maybe 2 times per year hunting. I would rather buy quality now then buy something lesser and want to upgrade. Interested to know if someone has some experience with digiscope on either the 773 or 883.

BjornF16

WKR
If you’re a vet, you can get good discount through Guidefitter.

If not, I think “Rokslide” or “Rokslide10” will get you 10% off at SandSArchery.com

Then check with CameralandNY to see if they can beat SandSArchery’s price.

I’m also vacillating between 773 and 883.

I was debating between the 88 and 77 Kowa and elected to go with the 77 based on all my reading. I accept the fact the glass my be slightly less quality but I’m not trying to count inches at a mile either.

Hopefully I can save some funds and have a 99 at some point since they use the same eyepiece.

While I’ve not looked through the 77x, it has a solid reputation. With the new wide angle, you can get it for $2080.

After owning the 554, I’ve become a fan of their fluorite. I’d pony up the additional $420 and get the 88x.

Size and weight are fairly close:
12” long
47 ounces

13.5” long
53.6 ounces

While I’ve not looked through the 77x, it has a solid reputation. With the new wide angle, you can get it for $2080.

After owning the 554, I’ve become a fan of their fluorite. I’d pony up the additional $420 and get the 88x.

Size and weight are fairly close:
12” long
47 ounces

13.5” long
53.6 ounces

It’s closer to 750 $ which is about 25%. That’s a significant increase. I dont doubt that the glass may be worth it In some cases but I personally couldn’t justify it. I elected to save that money based on the many positive reviews of the 77.

It’s closer to 750 $ which is about 25%. That’s a significant increase. I dont doubt that the glass may be worth it In some cases but I personally couldn’t justify it. I elected to save that money based on the many positive reviews of the 77.
Totally cool with you finding that the fluorite glass is not worth the price differential. It’s your money and you’re free to spend it however you want.

I merely gave as close to an apples to apples price comparison for the two models by including the same eye piece.

BjornF16

WKR
I own the 553.

For range use, I find I could use a little more resolution of targets beyond 600 yards out to 1200 yards. At 45x, I see a lot of "boiling" in the 553.

With 773, will this still be an issue?

I'd say hold out for the 883, I got mine used on ebay for 2k taxxed and shipped. I'm sure the 773 is good but the 88mm is phenomenal.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I know there was an meopta in optics classified that was an excellent option. Also if in reg classified someone had the maven for decent deal around 1350. Backwoods pursuit had a good review of all of them.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Yep, there's a Meopta MeoStar S2 20-70x82 listed for $1650 shipped. That's a top shelf scope at a great price.