Kowa 773 (from Razor 65mm)

idcuda

WKR
I was bitten by the spotting scope bug during the Fall and I upgraded from a first gen Vortex Razor 65mm to the Kowa 773. I'm running through a comparison of the scopes, so I thought I'd share some information as I go (plus, I'm bored).

A little background on my scope history. I've been through four spotting scopes:
  • Nikon Prostaff - didn't use it much, probably because it was a turd
  • Vanguard Endeavor 65 - thought I was getting something decent for the price. While looking at a buck at 6-700 yards out, I looked through my buddy's 65mm Razor. I could count tines with his and could only see blurry antlers with my Vanguard.
  • Vortex Razor 65mm - nice upgrade and has worked well; I did just get it back from some warranty work - the eyepiece needed replaced due to excessive internal dust. No major complaints, though. But...I had accidentally looked through a friends Swaro 65mm HD during deer season. We were watching some bucks and were setup side by side, and when I looked though that thing it was like stepping into an IMAX theater. I probably should have bought a Swaro, but the Kowa caught my attention.
  • Kowa 773 - we'll see, but so far it's awesome
The last two upgrades came after I looked at bucks through better glass. Looking at antlers is the best opportunity I've had to distinguish between two different spotting scopes. The clarity, focus, and ability to key in on those details is great for side by side comparisons. On the other hand, all the scopes look good when I'm in front of the house looking at neighbors' license plates, but that's not helpful.

A few goals for the Kowa:
  • Side by side comparisons with the Razor before I sell it
  • Upgrade the tripod (currently still using the Vortex Summit with a pan head and it's no bueno) - I've received some good recommendations here
  • Figure out how to digiscope with my Sony a6400
    • I got the Kowa in the classifieds and it came with a TSN-PA7 adapter
  • Get an adapter for my phone
I know, TLDR. So, here are some pics and info for those who are interested.

The Razor and the 773 with no attachments (I think my scale is 2oz high on everything)
20210114_195644.jpg 20210114_195720.jpg

The side by side:
20210114_200119.jpg

The Kowa with the only decent cover they make for it (@Jeff Bouton , this thing is screaming for a neoprene cover!):
20210114_202650.jpg

Here are the component add-ons for digiscoping and total weights. Grand digiscoping total, with the cover on will be about 93oz.
20210114_202014.jpg 20210114_201259.jpg 20210114_201449.jpg

Here are the first round of pics I took with the new setup, both of which are shaky due to operator error. The first one is a shot with the a6400, which I think is bad because I was running in aperture mode. Based on what I tinkered with when I got home, I should be running in shutter mode. The camera doesn't detect a readable lens attached, so aperture mode doesn't work.

Deer at about 1,200 yards:
DSC04744-01.jpeg

Elk at 3.5 miles with the cell phone hand-held against the spotter. Everyone has done it and we all know it sucks:
20210110_165102-01.jpeg

After one brief session looking at critters, my first impression of the Kowa 773 is that it's a great upgrade. The clarity from 25-60x is tip-top and the 77mm objective pulls in a ton of light! I'm excited to get some more time behind it and dial in the digiscoping pics.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Look forward to your further thoughts. Have the same razor and am fairly happy with it. Especially for the price I paid. Also considering the 77x down the road when I have a worthwhile hunt to use it for.

Thanks for taking the time.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I’m interested in a direct comparison between the Kowa and Swaro.

Also, PM me what you’re asking for the Gen 1?

TheCougar

WKR
I am going to be helping a fellow Rokslider on a Aoudad hunt next weekend and he's bringing along a 773, which I am really excited to try out next to my Gen 1 65mm Razor. I know its an upgrade, but it will be good to have a day behind it to really see the difference in real world conditions. I've looked through the ATS and ATX, and always wanted to check out a Kowa.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I am going to be helping a fellow Rokslider on a Aoudad hunt next weekend and he's bringing along a 773, which I am really excited to try out next to my Gen 1 65mm Razor. I know its an upgrade, but it will be good to have a day behind it to really see the difference in real world conditions. I've looked through the ATS and ATX, and always wanted to check out a Kowa.
Hope you will share your thoughts as well.

OP
idcuda

idcuda

WKR
Look forward to your further thoughts. Have the same razor and am fairly happy with it. Especially for the price I paid. Also considering the 77x down the road when I have a worthwhile hunt to use it for.

Thanks for taking the time.
No problem! I think the razor is very good and would cover dang near everything I need, but the kowa takes it up to the next level. I'll need it for my future goat and sheep hunts (knock on wood).

I’m interested in a direct comparison between the Kowa and Swaro.
I'll do it if I can, but there are a few out there already. I think S&S Archery had the best one; you can Google it or find it on this forum.

I am going to be helping a fellow Rokslider on a Aoudad hunt next weekend and he's bringing along a 773, which I am really excited to try out next to my Gen 1 65mm Razor.
That sounds like a blast - good luck! Let us know what you think about the scopes. I'm hoping for some confirmation bias 🤣. I'd love to hear about the hunt, too.

I went viper 65 to razor 65 to kowa 773 to atx 65. That kowa is awesome. I had to try the atx though. Glass wise no difference between the swaro and the kowa. Kowa had better light but it is 77mm. Atx more packable and you can swap lenses. If you only want one scope buy the kowa. If you want a 65mm and a 95mm or 115mm go swaro.

OP
idcuda

idcuda

WKR
I went viper 65 to razor 65 to kowa 773 to atx 65. That kowa is awesome. I had to try the atx though. Glass wise no difference between the swaro and the kowa. Kowa had better light but it is 77mm. Atx more packable and you can swap lenses. If you only want one scope buy the kowa. If you want a 65mm and a 95mm or 115mm go swaro.
Good stuff, thanks. I agree that the swap-ability is pretty slick; plus, that 115mm has gotta be bananas for viewing just about anything!

Good stuff, thanks. I agree that the swap-ability is pretty slick; plus, that 115mm has gotta be bananas for viewing just about anything!
That why I wanted to try the swaro but then you kinda realize you can pay $2000 or less and get the kowa or pay $3000 for atx 65 then another $2000 for the 95mm. So to get the atx benefit you gotta spend $5000 or more versus $2000 or less. I do like the eyepiece of the atx over the kowa but I like the dual focus of the kowa over the stupid ring on the swaro.

WKR
I had the chance to look through the 773 a bit last fall. My overall opinion reflects those above. Very nice optic. May have to open my wallet on one.

OP
idcuda

idcuda

WKR
A few updates:
My digiscoping skills with the Kowa TSN-PA7 and my Sony a6400 still suck, but it's a work in progress. I'm working on getting my shutter speeds down. I've found you need to go fast (1/500 or better) in order to get clear images, which makes sense.

I upgraded my tripod from a Vortex Summit to the Slik 624, but, more importantly, I upgraded the head to a Sirui VA5 (thanks @S&S Archery (Rob) ). The VA5 is impressive - just search around, it's tough to find a bad review. I'll get a monster aluminum tripod for truck/atv use sometime down the road.

If you own a Razor and a Summit tripod, you would do well just to upgrade the head. The Razor does great, but the pan head that comes on that tripod is so sloppy it's ridiculous. A few shots for comparison:

DSC04797-01.jpg

Where the rubber meets the road. The Vortex pan head's mount surface (left) compared to the VA5's.
DSC04802-01.jpg

And, shown along with the tripods' mounting surfaces. L to R: vortex pan head, tripod; Slik tripod, Sirui head.
DSC04803-01.jpg

If you want to put the VA5 on the Vortex tripod, you'd need an adapter screw, but they're easy to get and cheap. This is what it would look like; not a good match, but I think it would work fine.
DSC04800-02.jpg

And the quick connect plates (L: vortex, R: sirui). (L: wobbly; R: not wobbly).
DSC04808-01.jpg

Another bonus: the Peak Design Capture plate will *fit* in the VA5. It slides in perfectly (Arca-Swiss), but it doesn't go in completely due to the clamping mechanism in the VA5. It locks in comfortably enough for me to use it with my a6400. I wouldn't put heavy optics in there with the PD.
20210123_212417.jpg

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Cuda, the Sirui T024SKVA5 (T-024SK Compact Tripod with VA-5 Fluid Head) is a pretty hard to beat combo. It can be had from Camera Land for ~$255 for rokslide members.

OP
idcuda

idcuda

WKR
Got it. When you pull out the lever, you're using it to adjust the nut in or out. The nut location determines how far the clamp can travel. Thanks for the tip!

I got a little closer, but I won't be able to adjust the clamp to fully fit the Peak Design plate. If I do, the Sirui plate won't lock down securely. So, I'll set it to lock down my spotter and still have just enough room to hold the PD, although marginally. Not what I hoped for.