Kowa 773 or 883?

I’m about to pull the trigger on a new spotter.
I’ve narrowed it down to either the kowa 773 or 883 or possibly the swaro ats 65.
The price difference between these three isn’t much and I don’t want to to affect my decision.
This will be for elk hunts and mule deer hunts. Half glassing from close to the truck, however I have points built in two states for high country mule deer hunts that will take place in the next 2/3yrs.

I know weight can be an issue but I’m not sure I’m overly worried about the 15oz total difference from the lightest to the heaviest. I feel like I’d rather cut weight elsewhere and have better optics on the mountain.

Of cost weren’t an issue which spotter should you buy, and why?
Thanks in advance!!

Comment ing mostly to follow but ive been researching these spotters a bit to, im leaning towards buying the 88 if i can sell my maven 18x and then next year scoop up a 55. Or vise versa. Id have to think that would be a perfect well rounded set up.
I dont recall many people
Starting woth the 88 and downsizing to the 77 but i seen multiple on hear say they bumped up to the 88 for the florite glass and bigger better everything

I'd go with the 88, but you can't go wrong with any of those options. I just picked up an 884 a few months ago, spent some time comparing to a 773 I was looking at trading for; both had the 25-60x eyepiece. The 77 hung in there surprisingly well even in low light. The biggest difference was the much larger apparent field of view in the 88. I haven't looked at the specs but it was very noticeable to me. The 88 was very slightly brighter and had maybe a little better color, but man that 77 is a sweet spotter. I'm staying with the 88 for now, after a season of packing it around we'll see how I feel about it. It's not like the 88 is far and away better, so I think it's mostly going to be personal preference. It's a beefy sumbitch but I think in those long distance, low light times it will be worth it. Plus you can throw the extender on it and i'd imagine the 88 is going to give you slightly better images on super high zoom.

dapesche

WKR
I currently have a 883 and a 773. Trying to decide which one to keep. They are very close.
I also have both eyepieces, and even they are very close in quality.

I could see the individual peels of a banana that a guy was eating from just shy of 3kms away.
Both are excellent.

The sizing between two isn't massively different either, but there is a difference.

I have the 1.6 extender and agree with Hatchet Jacket in that I'll likely keep the 883 to make the most out of that extender. It's noticeably brighter with the 88 vs the 77.

OP
Mdfowlman2
I currently have a 883 and a 773. Trying to decide which one to keep. They are very close.
I also have both eyepieces, and even they are very close in quality.

I could see the individual peels of a banana that a guy was eating from just shy of 3kms away.
Both are excellent.

The sizing between two isn't massively different either, but there is a difference.

I have the 1.6 extender and agree with Hatchet Jacket in that I'll likely keep the 883 to make the most out of that extender. It's noticeably brighter with the 88 vs the 77.
Hmmm. I’m looking at a $400 difference between the two scopes. I could just go with the 773 save the $400 and put it towards a nice tripod and throw my VA-5 head on it.

tdhanses

WKR
If price/weight doesn’t matter it’s always the kowa 88, pretty much the best optically out there in the 85-88 game.

The 77 is great and no slouch, I have a 773 and 553.

OP
Mdfowlman2
If price/weight doesn’t matter it’s always the kowa 88, pretty much the best optically out there in the 85-88 game.

The 77 is great and no slouch, I have a 773 and 553.
Have you had to opportunity to put your 77 up against the 88? If so how did the 77 do in the comparison?

The deal at S&S is hard to top, i whole heartedly recommend the 88mm. Mine hardly ever stays at home. It’s simply fantastic for the cost and weight.

tdhanses

WKR
Have you had to opportunity to put your 77 up against the 88? If so how did the 77 do in the comparison?
I haven’t had them side by side but I looked through an 88 before I had my 77, the 88 is nice from what I remember just wasn’t what i wanted to spend. I also had my swaro HD 80 at that time and the Kowa 88 was better.

I also had my swaro HD 80 at that time and the Kowa 88 was better.
That’s good to hear. I frequently get the thought to sell my Kowa 88 and get the swaro 80 simply due to it having the shiny green hawk emblem we all love. And I don’t have the $$$ for the stx. Then I slap myself back to the reality of the awesomeness of that Kowa glass.

OP
Mdfowlman2
That’s good to hear. I frequently get the thought to sell my Kowa 88 and get the swaro 80 simply due to it having the shiny green hawk emblem we all love. And I don’t have the $$$ for the stx. Then I slap myself back to the reality of the awesomeness of that Kowa glass.
I just sold my ats 80. It had the 20-60 eye piece and the fov was terrible.

peterk123

WKR
I recently purchased an 883. I too was considering a 77. But I also wanted to use it for photography. All I can say is wow. Here is a pic of a pair of Sandhill cranes. They were were quite a distance away. The sharpness is incredible. Could be better too if I actually knew what I was doing. I just came back from camping in moab. I was looking at mountain peaks, the La Sals I believe. Had to be twenty miles away. I swear I would have seen an animal walking across the snow fields. Just amazing glass. Cranes.jpg

773 with TE-11WZ 25-60x eye piece for $1999 or the 883 with the same eye piece for $2299 (not a site sponsor).

The individual will need to decide if the benefits of the 883 are worth the additional $300.

Antares

WKR
773 with TE-11WZ 25-60x eye piece for $1999 or the 883 with the same eye piece for $2299 (not a site sponsor).

The individual will need to decide if the benefits of the 883 are worth the additional $300.

Where are you seeing an 883 w/eyepiece for $2299? Inquiring minds want to know.

tdhanses

WKR
Where are you seeing an 883 w/eyepiece for $2299? Inquiring minds want to know.
Think he is trying to skip being a sponsor here or doesn’t
want to list the vendor, if so pay the extra to a supporting sponsor that keep the lights on here to ask questions and get great info.

BluMtn

WKR
88 Vs 77, Go with the 88. Or suck it up and go to the 99. I had the 88 and somebody borrowed it, so I replaced it with the 99 and all I can say is WOW.