Kowa 77mm Review and update!

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Roksliders!

Just wanted to re-post this blog article i wrote 3 years ago and to give you an update on my spotter.

3 years later and I still prefer the Kowa 77mm spotter. Yes, it's a bit heavier than some of the other alpha glass, but there has not been a single instance where i was sorry i carried it. I wish i could say that about some of the other spotting scopes i have tested. Durability has not been an issue either. I get out quite a bit in year round conditions and without any protection it is showing very little signs of wear. This is one purchase that has put a smile on my face over and over and over.

I bring all this up because the Kowa is $400 off right now through the end of June.

kowa-tsn-773-tsn-774-77mm-spotting-scope-with-25-60x-2_1400x.jpg

Matt G.

WKR
Thanks Rob... Twist the knife further. Any issue packing the angle scope since it is a larger scope? The straight version would pack in my torpedo pocket of my MR Marshall.

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks Rob... Twist the knife further. Any issue packing the angle scope since it is a larger scope? The straight version would pack in my torpedo pocket of my MR Marshall.

No issue at all. Its very close to the same size as most 65mm scopes. Slides easily into and out of my Exo side pocket. Sorry, not sure how that translates to the MR pack.

Any chance you've compared that with an Opticron MM4 GA ED 77? They have very similar specs and the Opticron is a bit less expensive.

We have not. I'll have to reach out to them to see if we can get a sample for comparison

My local birding shop was promoting the Opticron over the lower tier Kowa for both better glass quality and build quality. I'm going to go try and and compare them in the store, but I'll need to wait for a cloudy day to really compare the light gathering difference. Some of the British birding forums indicate that late fall and winter is when you can really see the improvement of a bigger objective, and that just so happens to be when hunting season is.

Beckjhong

WKR
Roksliders!

Just wanted to re-post this blog article i wrote 3 years ago and to give you an update on my spotter.

3 years later and I still prefer the Kowa 77mm spotter. Yes, it's a bit heavier than some of the other alpha glass, but there has not been a single instance where i was sorry i carried it. I wish i could say that about some of the other spotting scopes i have tested. Durability has not been an issue either. I get out quite a bit in year round conditions and without any protection it is showing very little signs of wear. This is one purchase that has put a smile on my face over and over and over.

I bring all this up because the Kowa is $400 off right now through the end of June.

View attachment 185145
How are you keeping the objective and eyepiece covers on? It fits great into the side sleeve of my exo pack, but I’m worried about having it in there bare. The covers fall off easily.

Matt G.

WKR
That is an excellent question! I was thinking of adding some velcro but haven't tried yet. I currently have the nylon case but that adds 10 plus ounces. I was also thinking of using old wool sock as case..

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How are you keeping the objective and eyepiece covers on? It fits great into the side sleeve of my exo pack, but I’m worried about having it in there bare. The covers fall off easily.
I actually don't take them with me in the field. I do give them a good cleaning when i get back tho. Interested to see the other replys.

Beckjhong

WKR
I actually don't take them with me in the field. I do give them a good cleaning when i get back tho. Interested to see the other replys.
Ok, so you’re rolling naked spotter in the side pocket? You must be way less clumsy than me and/or that spotter is way more durable than I am giving credit for.

Firehawk

WKR
Robb......you are killing me.:D I decided after my email to you the other day that I couldn't wait and picked up a "used" one off the classifieds here. I would have preferred new of course. Had I known that this sale would start now, I would have waited a few days. Dang!!

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
You're a year late anyway. I wish it was on sale still also. Just got the 55 in the mail 2 days ago.
The eye relief sweet spot is a bit rough, has me thinking bout the 77

Matt G.

WKR
I have seen 1 or 2 in the classifieds recently. I would also give the supporters a call and see to. I had both and love the 77 better due to viewing experience.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Cyril

FNG
So what are the advantages / disadvantages to an angled eye piece versus a straight. Nearly all spotters I see are set up with an angled eye piece and I don’t understand why?

Firehawk

WKR
You're a year late anyway. I wish it was on sale still also. Just got the 55 in the mail 2 days ago.
The eye relief sweet spot is a bit rough, has me thinking bout the 77
That's funny! I didn't even catch how old the post was. I saw that they were going to do the sale in June and was totally thrown off thinking this year. Thank you for clarifying that for all of us.