Kowa Customer Service

I don't think I've ever posted here, I think I joined so I could buy my spotting scope.

I come here for information because you guys know what you're doing. I often search through forums and make gear decisions based on what I read here and a couple of other places so thank you all, your experience and knowledge and willingness to share is helpful for more people than you may realize, it matters.

Last year I bought a Kowa 880 spotting scope, might have been from a member here or maybe Snipers Hide, I'm not sure but it definitely was from a forum that I visit fairly regularly and almost never post. My thought was that I don't want to be glassing at a distance wondering if I'd spent a few more dollars that I could see whatever I'm looking at. It's a FANTASTIC piece of equipment, one of the most expensive pieces of my ever growing gear collection.

About a month ago while sighting in my black powder rifle I had the scope set on a tripod, I was using my crappy backup tripod because I had the wrong plate on the scope. It was windy that day and while adjusting my scope I heard a noise...kind of sounded like a Christmas light bulb breaking. To my horror, there was my $3000 scope laying on the concrete, small shards of glass right beside it. I immediately called Kowa, they aren't answering phones so I emailed them...I NEED this scope for scouting/hunting in my area and I need it right now. I received a response that it would be 6-8 weeks to get it back to me and I was FURIOUS. There are other reasons that I was furious with their response that I won't get into, over that weekend I found a deal on a Vortex, was going to buy whatever their best model is even knowing it wasn't in the same league...I didn't care because I was going to sell the damn Kowa as soon as it was fixed. I won't deal with a company who won't treat me as if they cared.

The following Monday , right before I ordered the Vortex Paul Kardos from Kowa America called me and this is why I'm here now. Paul sent me mailing instructions and he immediately overnighted a loaner to me, no deposit, no nonsense...he just shipped it and I was back in business. This blew my mind...he said that it was a demo or something but I'm nearly certain that it was a brand new scope.

People bitch and moan when they are mistreated, I'm a firm believer in calling out people when they do the right thing and Paul not only did the right thing- he went FAR over and beyond, surpassed any reasonable expectations one might have for an out-of-warranty shattered scope. They charged me about $150 for the repair and I got it back over the weekend, I just shipped their "loaner" back. Who has ever heard of a company who sends out "loaner" scopes while repairs are being completed?

I just want to return the favor in the only way I know how- to tell the story and hope that it goes far and wide...Kowa was absolutely spectacular in taking care of me and Paul turned this situation from awful to amazing.

Service drives sales- I'm not sure that there is a word for what they did but it was spectacular, above and beyond and going forward it's Kowa first for me.

Thanks for reading, I hope that this helps others when making buying decisions.

AGPank

WKR
Glad they took care of you, repair seems reasonable too.

I wasn’t as lucky. I ordered a 663 for my mom. Box and everything arrived undamaged. I looked through it and the prism was rattling around inside. Packing looked exceptionally thorough. To me a scope should have some impact resistance, I thought this was a flaw. Sent it to Kowa, talked to them, they charged $250 to reset the prism.

I was fortunate to claim the amount against USPS, although I couldn’t find damage in the packaging indicating something happened. I did buy from a trusted seller who offered to pay for the repair of the insurance wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear they worked with you. I have heard similar stories with Swarovski. Higher end optics companies should take a page out of the Swaro playbook if they ever think they can make a dent in market share.

6-8 week repair time is not unreasonable, they ship the optic to the factory in Japan same with Meopta having to ship back to Czech Rep, they don’t have repair facilities in the US, that was one of the questions I asked the reps before purchasing it’s not like sending it to CT with Swarovski. Paul is a solid dude I’ve spoke with him a few times and placed orders through him, hope to never have to use the warranty.

BluMtn

WKR
I to have Emailed him a couple times myself and he has been solid. My old scope cover on my 884 finally wore out from riding around in my pickup and pack so I needed a new cover. Emailed him about it and gave me a great deal on a new cover. Yes Alfa's cost more but it seems that you are treated like you are a person and not some knob trying to score free stuff all the time. Luckily I have not had to use my swaro card yet. Here that Vortex you POS.

eoperator

WKR
I had a similar experience, bought a used 773 that was damaged (focus knob was bent) they fixed it for a minimal charge.

Loosing faith in roksliders this is the 3rd bad purchase this year.

Mhahn2

Lil-Rokslider
I had a similar experience, bought a used 773 that was damaged (focus knob was bent) they fixed it for a minimal charge.

Loosing faith in roksliders this is the 3rd bad purchase this year.
Sorry to hear that eoperator this is my first year on rokslide and I have made 3 separate purchases and everything has been in perfect condition. Hopefully it was just bad luck and it doesn’t continue.

Sand Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to bump this thread back to the top. I talked to Paul on the phone yesterday and he was extremely helpful. I called the North American customer support number and was transferred immediately with no wait time. Paul is still at Kowa and doing an awesome job, and I continue to be impressed with Kowa.