Kowa Eyepieces. 20-60 vs 30x Wide?

I'm currently running a Kowa 663 and I really like the scope, it fits my needs pretty well. My only complaint is the narrow FOV of the 20-60 eyepiece. Thinking about picking up a 30x wide angle eyepiece, but am a little concerned about losing the zoom capability.

For those of you who have used both, lay it on, what were your findings between the two? Which do you prefer?

Thanks!

OP
RaggedHunter
I run the 25-60 WA eyepiece on my 884. Not sure if that would fit the 663 but it is unreal good.

Looking at their website, it doesn't look like that one will work on the 66mm scopes, which is unfortunate because I think that sounds like the perfect eyepiece.

Looking at their website, it doesn't look like that one will work on the 66mm scopes, which is unfortunate because I think that sounds like the perfect eyepiece.
I just checked it myself. I don't think it will work on your model. My bad.
There is an 883 listed in optics classifieds with the 25-60 WA eyepice now. They are very nice spotters.

I’ve done both in the smaller 60mm scope a ton, and looked through both on a 663 a few times. I’ve talked about them before in some other posts a bunch if you are able to search it.

Long story short: 30x wide is excellent, and if you use the spotter a lot to locate game, it may be better. If you mostly use it to evaluate/trophy judge, the 20-60 will give you an edge—esp with the larger 663 making better use of the higher power range.

Rock-o

WKR
Maybe a stupid question but can't the eyepiece be quickly and easily changed in the field?

I've never had or even used a spotter, so I'm trying to learn before I make a purchase.

OP
RaggedHunter
Maybe a stupid question but can't the eyepiece be quickly and easily changed in the field?

I've never had or even used a spotter, so I'm trying to learn before I make a purchase.

Yes they could be changed in the field if you wanted to carry both.

Willfrye is spot on. The 30x is optically better in every category, but the extra power of the zoom eyepiece is better for getting a closer look at what you’ve found and long range phone skope video. I sometimes pack both eyepieces as the 30x is just nicer to look through and pretty compact.

blkqi

WKR
I have both eyepieces that I use on my 883. I want to tell you that I prefer the 30X, but the 20-60X get's used 99% of the time.

eric1115

WKR
I've used both on my 662 and the above comment is spot on. The 30X is better for about 85% of my use. Wider field of view at 30x then the zoom has at 20x, brighter and sharper especially at the edges, and just a lot nicer to look through. I would suggest that the 30x fixed shows more detail than the zoom does at 40x.

When conditions support 50 or 60 power, the zoom gives more detail.

This is not to say that the zoom is bad. It's just that the fixed is so nice.