Kowa Genesis 10.5x44

270quest

WKR
I had some theft and some a**hole broke into my truck and stole my Toric UHD 10X42 (My fault for leaving them in my truck) but they are gone. Going to be able to scrounge around 1k for new ones. I never fully loved the eye cups or I would just be ordering a new pair of those. Pretty sure I am going to run with the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44. Doug at Cameraland is going to treat me well on the price.

Outside of them being heavier - any cons on these? Optically it appears - at least on the internet - they are right there with SLCs.

Crusader

WKR
Following this as I am in the same boat as the OP. I had pretty much decided on going for 10x42 SLCs but some of the comments I've seen on the Kowa 10.5x44 have me intrigued. Do any of you guys have experience with a direct comparison between these two units? To me, low light performance is probably the most important factor, followed by clarity. Weight of the unit is not an issue and FOV isn't that big of a deal. So what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Wapiti1

WKR
I've used both SLC's and the Kowa's, but not at the same time. The tripod mount and weight are what I would say are the only real differences. I don't recall the Kowa's having issues with low light, and they had really good colors and sharpness.

For the Cameraland price, you will not match their glass, IMO.

I think Matt Cashell reviewed them on another forum a few years ago.

Jeremy

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I have a BOG Gear plate tripod adapter so that problem would solved. If these are KOWAs 100% top of the line, prominar binos - they have to good...

I did see the FOV is a touch smaller - but you also get 10.5x instead of 10.

Schaaf

WKR
They're a phenomenal bino. I compared them with the Meostar 10x42 and the SLC 10x42 and prefer the Kowa. If you're okay with the slightly softer edges that the Meopta and SLC have, you'll really like the view in the Kowa. If you like having edge to edge clarity like the Swaro EL and Zeiss Victory SF, you're gonna want to look elsewhere.

Reactions: ZDR

AD42

FNG
They're a phenomenal bino. I compared them with the Meostar 10x42 and the SLC 10x42 and prefer the Kowa. If you're okay with the slightly softer edges that the Meopta and SLC have, you'll really like the view in the Kowa. If you like having edge to edge clarity like the Swaro EL and Zeiss Victory SF, you're gonna want to look elsewhere.

Hi Schaaf,
Just curious how would you compare the kowa's to the meostars? I'm looking to purchase one or the other soon.
Thanks!

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I have had my Kowas for a couple weeks now....The view and the focus is stunningly good, crisp, and bright. They are heavy, but built like a alpha bino should be. Hell of a deal and a great piece of glass at 1k price point.

Schaaf

WKR
Hi Schaaf,
Just curious how would you compare the kowa's to the meostars? I'm looking to purchase one or the other soon.
Thanks!
They’re absolutely a step above the Meostars. They are similar views in my opinion, meaning they don’t have the flat field that you get from the EL’s Or Noctivid. They control Chromatic Aberration better and have a sharper image. They also handle glare extremely well. Not having a stud option for the tripod is a pain but if you’re okay using a clamp style like the bino hand than it’s not big deal.

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
I have had my Kowas for a couple weeks now....The view and the focus is stunningly good, crisp, and bright. They are heavy, but built like a alpha bino should be. Hell of a deal and a great piece of glass at 1k price point.
Are you still in love with these? They're at the top of my list but it's hard to jump without looking through them first.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a good at they could be drilled and tapped to accept the outdoorsman stud? I wonder if they offer that service. I’l probably upgrade next spring and these are on the list, as well as goo, meostar and the monarch hg.

Is there a good at they could be drilled and tapped to accept the outdoorsman stud? I wonder if they offer that service. I’l probably upgrade next spring and these are on the list, as well as goo, meostar and the monarch hg.
This works incredibly well. Integral foot is Arca Swiss compatible. I switch in and out with my spotter quick and easy. And it slides in and out of my bino harness without any binding.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Are you still in love with these? They're at the top of my list but it's hard to jump without looking through them first.
More so than ever....I spent 10 days hunting wyoming and idaho in terrible weather in big rugged country...The views were stunning, never fogged, and did everything I would expect out of them. These are true alpha binoculars. I carried mine in a Badlands Chest case and used a Bogpod Strap plate to mount to a tripod.

On the tripod, I picked out deer and elk, long long long ways out.

I will vouch for these too. Sold my slc’s and got uhd’s (just curious) then sold them to go back to slc’s, but got sidetracked and got the 10.5x kowa genesis... I wouldn’t have got them without the credible reviews, but the image quality and low light performance is better than the uhd, and image quality is better than my older slc’s, low light performance at least as good.

overall I expected good but they exceeded what I expected. Insanely nice glass for 1k... a clear step ahead of anything in that class, and look forward to comparing them with new slc’s and El’s soon.

Thanks to these reviews I’m ordering a pair of Genesis 10.5x44. I was gonna get SLCs but with them not being made anymore they are harder to find. Can’t wait to get these Kowa in hand.

I will be trying this bino adapter from dead on industries. Seems to be the ticket for mounting to tripod.

Thanks to these reviews I’m ordering a pair of Genesis 10.5x44. I was gonna get SLCs but with them not being made anymore they are harder to find. Can’t wait to get these Kowa in hand.

I will be trying this bino adapter from dead on industries. Seems to be the ticket for mounting to tripod.

Great choice. Did you order them from Rob at S&S? I've had mine 3-4 years now and haven't looked through any glass that I would care to upgrade to. They're a tad heavy but the optical quality is brilliant. I don't even notice the weight anymore. I hope you'll come back and give us your impressions.

I can also highly recommend the Cinch from RRS as an alternative to the Dead On option. I like that it has an integral Arca plate. It's also RRS quality at a better price. B&H is out of stock quite often, but keep checking back. They resupply regularly.

Last edited: