Kowa Spotter

S

Salmo-Priest

Any Kowa users here?

Pro's Con's? Would like to hear why or why not..

Thanks

Shrek

WKR
Salmo , I have not used one but if you go to the bird watching sites they all rave about them. If you don't get a response here you may want to google some birding sites. I don't see a lot of hunters using them but I don't see them marketing their products to hunters. I was looking at their 66mm florite crystal model.

JGO

FNG
My hunting partner is "in the hunting biz" so he has scopes of various makes and sizes ranging from the Swaro 80 to the Nikon 50. For the last three years he's used nothing but his Kowa 60MM. It is not Kowa's highest end glass but it is super lightweight and does what you need a scope to do in the backcountry. I have had it sitting next to an 80MM swaro and 85MM Vortex Razor HD at different times and unless I want high quality digiscoped photos, I'd rather pack the 26 oz. Kowa all day long. Even if I want to digiscope, by day 7 of the hunt my high end 80MM glass gets to feeling pretty heavy, so while my scope is in the tent his 60MM scope stays in the pack.
Based on my experience with their "lower end" glass, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on any of the Kowa scopes that I felt were a fit for my application. As was mentioned above, the digiscope and birding folks eat up their high end glass.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Kowa generally makes very good optical products, including their incredible 88mm objective prominar spotters. I haven't seen that particular model, but a few things stand out looking at the specs. First, on the plus side it is really light for a 60mm spotter. The going rate of $490 for that spotter without eyepiece is pretty steep for a non-ED 60mm spotter, IMO, when there are some good options from Vortex near that price point (Viper HD).

I have seen the ED Kowa 663, and it is a really nice spotter.

I would prefer a fully rubber armored body.

OP
S

Salmo-Priest

Seems like folks here like Vortex stuff.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Salmo , I have not used one but if you go to the bird watching sites they all rave about them. If you don't get a response here you may want to google some birding sites. I don't see a lot of hunters using them but I don't see them marketing their products to hunters. I was looking at their 66mm florite crystal model.

The 66mm is not a flourite crystal. It has a an "XD" ED multi-element objective. Only the 88mm Prominar has the flourite crystal objective.

dotman

WKR
What do you mean?

I think there are lots of brands liked and discussed here.

I think Vortex gets a ton of press for the mid grade bugets but that seems to be mainly because of quality and warranty. I would say alpha glass gets the nod for what most discuss.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
I have looked through there 88mm against a 80mm swaro. There is ZERO difference IMO. granted I didnt get to really low light but anyone i know that has a Kowa loves it I also used there binos ( a buddy has a set). They are just as good. Great glass and right up there with the Big 3 (lieca, swaro, zeiss)
Lorne

OP
S

Salmo-Priest

I really like the weight of the 600 series. That might be enough for me to not worry about the price.

OP
S

Salmo-Priest

Thanks for the offer. You still run a Grand Slam on any of your rifles?

ACC

FNG
I have a 82mm Kowa Prominar with a 20x60 lens that I bought back in 04, great piece of glass.

A little heavy for backpacking but nice in low light situations and where weight is not an issue.

It was discontinued when they started selling the big 88mms.

Salmo,
Kowa is first class in my opinion. They are up there with the big 3 for sure. And CONTRARY to what you read or hear, the Flourite glass is not brital nor weak compared to other brands. THat rumor actually came from the fact it is harder to grind while making the lenses and does not apply to the final product. In fact, I have friend that that is a regional VP for them, and they supplied the Army Rangers 1400 of the 88 models. Would the army rangers use them if they wouldn't holdup? I say not.

They are worth a look - buy what your eyes like.