Kowa spotting scope question

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
is the best kowa glass only available in the 55,88, and 99 series? Seems the 66 comes in at a lower price point and differnt spec glass? Am i reading that correctly?

Correct. The fluorite is damn nice. Don’t know anything about the 600 series but the 77x series is well regarded.

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
66 and the 77 both use the XD glass in lieu of the pure fluorite crystal. The 77 benefits greatly from being able to use the TE11-WZ eyepiece. The 66 is a great little scope and is comparable to the best 60mm scopes but the eyepiece keeps it from being great.

Last edited:

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
Tried a 55..very clear but lots of eye strain to look through.
Replaced with a 77. Incredible glass. No desire whatsoever to even think im gonna want an upgrade .

Big Ern

WKR
I have a 553 and it is a pretty amazing little spotter. Glass is great. FOV not so great. Weight is amazing.

the nice thing is that it is so light you pack it all the time.

if I had to buy a new spotter, I would go with Swaro ATX 60.

The 77 series uses the same eyepiece as the 88 series. I believe the only difference is on the other end. From my understanding the fluorite has the most effect in the eyepiece.

I'm going off memory here, so I could be wrong on what I just said, but that's how I remember it. I did this research a few years ago and settled on the 77 series. I have not once regretted that decision. It's fantastic glass, that can punch through pretty bad atmospheric conditions, and can really reach out there when the conditions are good.