Kowa spotting scope

Ucsdryder

WKR
Buddy let me borrow his 773 for an upcoming elk hunt. I don’t have anything to compare it to but I was reading the phone number on a sign at 3033 yards.

check out YouTube. There are a bunch of side by side videos. One from Alaska where guys sat in sheep country and went back and forth. From everything I’ve read and seen they’re on the same level as swaro, without the leg humpers.

tdot

WKR
Kowa and Swarovski are close enough optically that generally the size of the glass or an individuals eyes will make the biggest difference. Atleast when comparing the ATX/STX series to the comparable 88 or 77 Kowa. I personally felt the ATS/STS were inferior to the comparable Kowa and I also feel the 66 Kowa can't stand up to the ATX/65.

Other items such as weight, cost, ergonomics, availability, etc. will likely yield greater differences between the scopes.

Anyone running a kowa spotter? How does it compare to the Swarovski and Leicas?

Do a search and you will find a few threads on the Kowa and how it compares to some other scopes. I picked up a 773 this year and it is great but never used a Swaro or Leica myself.

BluMtn

WKR
I have the 88, but have never been in a place were I could compare it. I use it for long range glassing and it is crystal clear as far as I can see. I have found game that I don't believe I could have found otherwise.

Not being able to look through a Kowa without driving 6 hours I was on the fence for along time. Took the leap and got a 774 earlier this year, zero regrets.

I've never done a side by side between the two, but having looked through both brands now, they both have incredible glass. I agree with the statement above that the objective size will make the difference.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I wanted the Kowa 773, but after getting the chance to look through one then I had to have it. I bought one this summer and don't regret it one bit. That being said it is also the only spotter I have ever owned as well.

Matt G.

WKR

I have the kowa 774 and I find it amazing to look through. No digital pics can do those views justice. I think you are splitting hairs between the kowa and swaros. Do you want the modularity or not is probably the determining factor.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
I desperately (think I) want a prominar 99. I know they just came out but if anyone has any impressions I would love to hear them.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a Kowa 773. Don't even wonder if I should have gone with a Swaro/Zeiss/Leica. Call Doug at CameralandNY. They took good care of me.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had my 884 side by side to an atx65 and can honestly say the 884 resolved more detail on a building over 4 miles away but it was very close and that was during full daylight so the objective size would have little effect on it.

I have Swarovski and my buddy has a Kowa, wouldn't turn around for the difference. Both superb. It would come down to aesthetics and personal choice.

PHo

WKR
I have the 773 and my brother got the ATX. The Swaros have field flattened lenses so the view is a little different, a little better with the edge-to-edge clarity. That said, my Kowa also has very good edge-to-edge clarity, just slightly behind the Swaro. Haven’t tested them side by side in low light yet but I would give the edge to the ATX by a very slight amount.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
I run Kowa binos (love them) and was fired up when I came across this a while back on my twitter feed:

KowaSpottingScope.jpg

Image from Jason N Gardner's twitter feed, a retired Navy SEAL master chief. He says the spotting scope is a Kowa, and it did awesome over in Afghanistan.

I was told once (Doug at Camera Land NY) that Kowa is one of the best glass companies out there, but they have the absolute worst marketing department. But if you can get your hands on their gear, you'll be really happy.

BluMtn

WKR
One of the main differences between the two would be the focus methods. Do you like the focus collar around the main tube of the spotter on a swaro or the fine/course adjustment knobs of the Kowa.

Friend of mine borrowed my Kowa 884 and did a side-by-side comparison with a Zeiss, Swarovski, and the top end Vortex. He is very thorough in his testing, putting them through many lighting conditions and such, so I value his opinion. His final conclusion was that the Swaro and Kowa were very close but he preferred the focus of the Swaro. Zeiss was a little behind, and he put the Vortex away after his first night of testing. I didn't participate in the test but know I am very pleased with the optic performance of the Kowa.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the focus and fine focus on the Kowa. Glass will be too close for your eye's to see unless you have super human eyes and can A/B them back and forth over and over under the same conditions and you might see slight color/contrast differences. The Swaro body is tougher but a slip on case on the Kowa would work to protect the finish. I love both but the Kowa was a much better deal for me in 2016 and the focus on the swaro was not as nice to me as the Kowa (design and position---Swaro is part of the body and on the Kowa they are small knobs at the top).