Kowa TSN 1.6x Eyepiece Extender Questions

I have a Kowa TSN 774 arriving soon and was wondering if anyone has used the Kowa 1.6x extender with any success? I feel that if the quality if very good, it could be an awesome tool for scouting sheep etc. Does installing it via removing the eyepiece present any problems as well?

I had one for a while for my 883. It does make a larger picture, though I felt it didn't add meaningful detail for me after sacrificing some clarity and color contrast. I decided to phonescope and use the phone's magnifier function to zoom in more if I need to see a larger picture.

Installation was simple and solid.

Edit 8/5/21:
I have since upgraded my tripod and believe my mixed feelings of the magnifier was partly due to a marginally stabilized picture.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
I have one and really like it, to me it’s worth having. It doesn’t weigh much and is easy to add or remove, I leave mine on most of the year, I use it when I shoot long range solo so I can watch the video to see my hits.

I have a Kowa TSN 774 arriving soon and was wondering if anyone has used the Kowa 1.6x extender with any success? I feel that if the quality if very good, it could be an awesome tool for scouting sheep etc. Does installing it via removing the eyepiece present any problems as well?
Did you ever pull the trigger on the extender? In the same boat currently. Wondering if you or anyone else on here has any experience with using it and if it's worth the $.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
Yes I did, and when I’m in big open country, trying to glass Rams from miles away, it is invaluable. If you own a Kowa 77 or 88, the extender should be part of your kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second what Ben said.

Long story longer:

With the extender on, and the eye piece power backed all the way off, you get ABOUT the same FOV you get without the extender on and the eyepiece cranked all the way up. BUT the real benefit is that there is considerably a greater amount of light in the picture with the extender and backed off VS w/o the extender and the eyepiece power cranked all the way up.

I hope that makes sense.

Basically, just get the extender.

tdhanses

WKR
Truthfully it’s a must have even if you don’t use it always, it’s just that extra boost is there if needed.

Matt G.

WKR
Have you tried using your phones zoom vs using the extender... I debated on this.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Have you tried using your phones zoom vs using the extender... I debated on this.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I imagine you'd have much more clarity with an extender vs a phone screen. I've dinked around with phone skopes on my razor and you can only zoom in so far before it gets pixelated. Maybe that's not the case with better glass or a better cell phone camera though. I won't have my 774 until early next week so I'm just speculating.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
647c67632969f59bd8137c1a80fe5107.jpg

Here I made this to help show the extenders value. Using a novagrade digiscope adapter.