Kowa TSN-553 Review, By Luke Moffat

Matt G.

WKR
I was looking to buy a new scope for backpacking. I carried the Cabelas Krotos 65 and it is ok. I was debating on the 554 but not sure if I want or need more magnification. I was looking at the 663m but speaking to Doug, it would be an upgrade but eyepiece is lacking. Other people rave about this scope though. I think 773 may be a little bigger than I want to lug around. at this point in my life looking to judge bear, deer and elk. not counting inches but shooter or not type.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Kowa 553, haven’t received it yet but will report back what I think of it. For my purposes, this will hopefully be my do all spotter out here in CO. This is the only spotter I own and I’m guessing it will be an awesome scope for mule deer, elk and antelope. If and when I do draw my sheep and goat tags, I’ll probably be buying the Kowa 883. I think having the 55mm and then a 88mm covers all my bases. I looked hard at the Swaro ATS 65 as a do it all scope, but I think the lighter weight and comparable optical quality of the 553 made me go that way, with hopes of having a second bigger scope down the road if even needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
I would likely just opted for the Swaro ATS 65mm even lighter than the ATX I believe. I have had a couple of the swaro 65mm and really like them as the do all spotter.

I am in a similar boat; 1 spotter for sheep hunting in BC here. Weight and bulk are especially important; but for Stone's there is a lot of time sitting behind the spotter. Would you say the ATS is a little more comfortable for all day glassing than the 553? ATS being a 25-50x65HD*

Thanks,
Andy

slim9300

WKR
I have had my 553 now for a couple seasons. I would never consider another spotter for backpacking. The size and weight is a joy. The performance in low light is very impressive, and I am accustomed to high quality glass. My binos are Swaro 8.5x42’s and my rifle scope a NF NX8 4-32x50. Also, phone skoping through the spotter is identical to my 80mm Razor. To me there are zero downfalls of this little scope for someone that identifies targets with their binos and takes a closer look with the spotter. The lesser FOV compared to bigger spotters is a non-issue.

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
I have had my 553 now for a couple seasons. I would never consider another spotter for backpacking. The size and weight is a joy. The performance in low light is very impressive, and I am accustomed to high quality glass. My binos are Swaro 8.5x42’s and my rifle scope a NF NX8 4-32x50. Also, phone skoping through the spotter is identical to my 80mm Razor. To me there are zero downfalls of this little scope for someone that identifies targets with their binos and takes a closer look with the spotter. The lesser FOV compared to bigger spotters is a non-issue.

How would you say it is for glassing for the day? Lots of time behind the spotter for sheep here so while everything on paper points to the little Kowa, if it isn't comfortable (eye relief, strain etc.) it might not be the "right" one.

Thanks,
Andy

slim9300

WKR
How would you say it is for glassing for the day? Lots of time behind the spotter for sheep here so while everything on paper points to the little Kowa, if it isn't comfortable (eye relief, strain etc.) it might not be the "right" one.

Thanks,
Andy

How far away are you glassing/scanning through a spotter? We must be talking miles right?

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
How far away are you glassing/scanning through a spotter? We must be talking miles right?

The distances aren't as big as AK due to the more broken mountains here vs. rolling mountains; but generally 0.5-3miles. Understanding we aren't counting rings at 2-3miles but at least being able to see sheep which is the tough part then move in for a look

slim9300

WKR
The distances aren't as big as AK due to the more broken mountains here vs. rolling mountains; but generally 0.5-3miles. Understanding we aren't counting rings at 2-3miles but at least being able to see sheep which is the tough part then move in for a look

So at 0.5 to 2 miles you are using a spotter to scan versus using your binos on a tripod? Or are you identifying something with your binos and then using your spotter to look closer?

slim9300

WKR
Mix of both*

I can’t speak to scanning with my spotter since I rarely do it. Within 0-2 miles I always use my binos on a tripod until I identify something worth looking closer at. When I do glass outside of two miles with my spotter (which is rare), I have no complaints. Eye relief and eye box seems totally normal to me.

AKborn87

FNG
I would likely just opted for the Swaro ATS 65mm even lighter than the ATX I believe. I have had a couple of the swaro 65mm and really like them as the do all spotter.

Any recommendation on eyepiece between the 20-60 and 25-50 WA?

I am really interested in buying the Kowa TSN-554 but as someone who wears eyeglasses all the time I am wondering how the eye relief has been for any others wearing eyeglasses. Kowa states the eye relief as being 16.5-16mm. Are there any owners out there that wear eyeglasses that can share their experiences with it? Eye relief seems perfectly fine for non-eyeglass wearers. Thanks

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
I am really interested in buying the Kowa TSN-554 but as someone who wears eyeglasses all the time I am wondering how the eye relief has been for any others wearing eyeglasses. Kowa states the eye relief as being 16.5-16mm. Are there any owners out there that wear eyeglasses that can share their experiences with it? Eye relief seems perfectly fine for non-eyeglass wearers. Thanks

I wear corrective glasses for hinting & have zero issue with the Kowa 554.

tdhanses

WKR
Non issue, I wear glasses all the time as well.

What tripod head is everyone using for the 553? I'm thinking my current heads are overkill for this spotter.

mproberts

WKR
I use the same head as my binos use, since they are basically the same weight. Outdoorsmans pistol grip w/panner.