Kowa tsn-664m with 20x60 zoom eyepiece or vortex razor 22x45x65mm

I've narrowed down my search to these two spotting scopes for price, weight, and size. I'm looking for some other opinions on these two from folks who've used them, what you liked and what you didn't like about them, and if you've handled both side by side which you liked better and why. Thanks

Razor isn’t in the same class as the Kowa. I owned a razor 85 and Kowa 66 at the same time and the Kowa blew it away even in low light.

jjjones7

FNG
I’d definitely consider going up to the 77 in the Kowa. Not much bigger and you get the better eyepiece. They’re very nice to look through.

OP
Y
Razor isn’t in the same class as the Kowa. I owned a razor 85 and Kowa 66 at the same time and the Kowa blew it away even in low light.
How did you find the kowa throughout the magnification range? Was 50x and 60x still usable?

How did you find the kowa throughout the magnification range? Was 50x and 60x still usable?
If you want a good image at 50-60x consider the 77 or better yet the 88mm. If not in the budget the 66 series is solid in decent lighting but no 65mm scope is going to be “great” at high power.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Since your basically sticking to a budget type 60 series spotter, it makes me wonder how the athalon stacks up to these two you are asking about. Lots of guys saying great things about them, and they’re cheaper than both listed. I’m not sure why guys are suggesting the 77 kowa as it’s considerably more expensive than any of these, and IMO would be warranting a different type of discussion when you step up to that kind of money. I always kind of raise an eyebrow when I see responses like that on posts of this nature. Insert “buy once cry once” responses 🤦‍♂️

BluMtn

WKR
Never looked through an Athalon, but I have owned a gen 1 80 razor, 88 KOWA, and now a 99 KOWA. The glass is far superior in the KOWA's than the Razors. And you are correct, if those are the only choices then I still chose the 66 KOWA.

It does get a little dark at the higher power as with all 65mm type scopes. As far as clarity, yes 50x is still pretty dang clear, I usually don't crank it up to 60x as you start to lose some clarity and it gets dim. The optics are very similar to the Swarovski ats hd 65, the kowa just has a more narrow FOV. The razor is a step or three below that.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Never looked through an Athalon, but I have owned a gen 1 80 razor, 88 KOWA, and now a 99 KOWA. The glass is far superior in the KOWA's than the Razors. And you are correct, if those are the only choices then I still chose the 66 KOWA.
Point was, why bring scopes into the equation that are almost 2 grand more? Makes no sense.

BluMtn

WKR
Just making suggestions. Sometimes when you ask a question you get answers that might make you look a little harder or in a different direction. When you ask for help you usually get it and sometimes you get more than you ask for.