Kowa vs Swaro

Here's another independent review from the Birding side from National Audubon Society. Ranking was strictly based on optical & mechanical performance here (smaller size, lesser weight and much cheaper price not even considered in these numerical rankings). In short the Kowa TSN-883 ranked highest by a significant margin >0.6 points ahead of another competitor's 85 mm, right behind this by the narrowest margin possible 1/100th of a point score was the Kowa TSN-773 (costing $1,868 less than the much longer and heavier 85 mm model ranked barely ahead of it). https://www.audubon.org/news/how-we-ranked-em-0

Both of these reviews used teams of independent reviewers in different markets with different expectations. In both cases, though the Kowa was praised for superior resolution of detail and ease of use of the smooth fingertip controls of the focus system, causing less vibration at high magnification. Again, I'm biased, but I challenge anyone to give the Kowa a serious look. The PROMINAR series 550, 770, 880 and now 99 mm series are gamers up for the challenge.

That was my main source of info for predicament. Ended up with the 774 after talking with the S&S guys. Super happy with it. Wish there was decent neoprene case for it though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
We've heard you and are working on a solution. Sadly may be a few months but see the demand here and are proactively working on a solution for you.... soon!

idcuda

WKR
We've heard you and are working on a solution. Sadly may be a few months but see the demand here and are proactively working on a solution for you.... soon!
Nice! A thin, light shield is all that's needed, in my opinion. Protection from dings and scratches, keep dust off lenses, and something warmer to grab ahold of. Anything more than that and I might as well use the heavy cover I already have.

dtrkyman

WKR
I am waiting on my 774 to arrive, I found a cheap neoprene slip over cover on ebay, I may just cut it up and attach it permanently with some hockey tape? We shall see when they arrive.

idcuda

WKR
is the kowa durable enough to toss in the pack without a case?
Mine's been naked the year I've had it and it's fine. It rides in the side pocket of my pack, strapped to the pack for ATV rides, loose in a tote, etc. I'd prefer to have a very thin neoprene, but no concerns. I can live with some rub marks.

BluMtn

WKR
I have the 99S and at the time I received it KOWA had not released a SOC for them so I wrapped the scope in Vet wrap. It protects the scope very well. KOWA has since released the new style SOC for the 99S but I prefer the old style SOC so I think for right now the vet tape will stay on. I also carry it in an Eberlestock Batwing, it is the only pocket I could find that was long enough for the 99S. The other item I prefer over the swaro is the focus system. I prefer the dual knob course/fine focus adjustment. Much easier to fine tune your focus.

Last edited:

mpk1996

FNG
Ok. so the real question is, is the Kowa 884 worth the 2# weight diff over the 774. 92oz vs 60oz is quite a jump

SLM

FNG
I have been having the same struggle and to me it wasn’t. A couple people that I value their opinion that have compared the two side by side steered me to the 77.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Did the same comparison about 18 months ago with pretty much the same result. The view through both are exceptional - to my eyes the Kowa was slightly brighter with very neutral color, while the ATX was very sharp and more color saturated. At first glance I thought the ATX resolved a hair better but after further study it might have just been the color. If forced to choose on view alone I’d say the Kowa may have been a smidge better, but by a razor. However, I really liked the Swaros ergonomics and housing and really had a tough time dealing with that non-armored finish on the Kowa. I know one can buy a neoprene cover but the naked metal finish would feel ghoulish on a cold, misty mountain.
This is a pretty similar take as mine from a decade ago found here:

However, I actually find the Kowa has great saturation, just a little more neutral than the Swarovski’s slightly warmer color bias.

Coincidentally, I shelved the ATX85 for this past season and went with the Kowa 883. I dealt with the lack of armor fine even in very cold (subzero) conditions. I still generally prefer the ergos of the Swarovski, but the Kowa‘s fine focus comes in handy sometimes too.

These are truly great spotters.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. so the real question is, is the Kowa 884 worth the 2# weight diff over the 774. 92oz vs 60oz is quite a jump
The difference between the two is only seven ounces. The 774 body is 46.9 ounces, the 884 body is 54 ounces and the 99 body is 64.7 ounces.