Kreatine questions.

Hardstalk

WKR
#1. To load or not to load? Some say yes up to 15g a day for a week some say no.
#2. Pre or post workout? Which is more beneficial? And if loading when starting is the way to go. should it be done in one dose or thruout the day?

I used it about 10 years ago. It made results. Now, if it isn't for sale in the produce aisle I don't touch it, except for cal-mag citrate.

shaun

WKR
I used it a few times when I started working out (EAS and Muscle Tech). I wasnt a big fan of it it did help with gains and alot with recovery. I would definatly load (following manufactuers reccomendations). There are draw backs to it also. I have known that people have cramped up badly even though taking in proper amounts of fluids. Also the water weight you carry with it. I always took mine post workout no reasoning i dont think besides mentally thinking it was better. There are other forums you can check out to do some good research on it if you would like, like bodybuilding.com forums and the muscular development forums.

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
Not much of a bodybuilder by any means. Just tough to add weight/size. Im the short skinny guy 5'6 145 dont need a ton of weight but looking to add a bit. Been doing lots of cardio for hunting as usual but figured i would add some of the lost weight back in muscle. Thanks for the replies

Hardstalk,

You may want to focus on strength and stamina instead of thinking you need/want to add some weight/mass/muscle. Aron had a post/thread during the past few weeks where he talked about it taking a lot of extra calories and oxygen to fuel extra muscle mass and how his body is better able to hunt at his lower weigth/muscle mass than he was when he was bulked up. So, changing the focus to what you need to be the most effective/efficient on the mountain might be a better way to go, if you are in fact just thinking about adding some more muscle mass because you think you should or just want to.

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
I think in terms of power to weight ratio. I may be off in my thinking but im a small guy. Ive always wanted to be a bit larger in some areas and have worked to achieve that without alot of success. In previous years i was concerned about premature muscles and not being ready to add muscle im 26 now and have come to the conclusion im done growing naturally. For a fit 185,195 pound person to pack a half a deer and there camp out is tough but for a fit 145 pounder its even tougher. Im not saying im looking for 30 pounds but a few extra i feel would suit just fine. Not only for hunting but also in daily life. Ive played with different diets and besides difference in energy i dont notice much "physically". Time to try some suppliments besides protein.

I'm about the same size as you- 5'7" and 150lb. Yes, packing out heavy loads is tough but I don't think bulking up is the best answer for hunting fitness. As mentioned above, functional strength, stamina and eating healthy is your best bet. Think crossfit-style workouts, hiking with a weighted pack, trail running, etc.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Creatine has been shown to increase your maximum muscle output pretty substantially - I think 5%-10% on max lifts were often claimed in study results. I haven't used it for a few years now, but when I was working out really hard and supplementing creatine and protein in the mornings on my hunts - I felt better than ever on the mountain (of course I was also in better shape then too). It does affect certain people differently - stay extra hydrated to avoid cramps. That was never an issue for me. 5% strength gain with 5% body mass gain might be a wash, but depends on what you want. I've been working out again and will probably start hitting protein again, might try some creatine too and see how I feel. More muscle mass and a higher caloric need is good for people trying to shed fat. Just my un-expert experience for what it's worth...

shaun

WKR
Hardstalk,

You may want to focus on strength and stamina instead of thinking you need/want to add some weight/mass/muscle. Aron had a post/thread during the past few weeks where he talked about it taking a lot of extra calories and oxygen to fuel extra muscle mass and how his body is better able to hunt at his lower weigth/muscle mass than he was when he was bulked up. So, changing the focus to what you need to be the most effective/efficient on the mountain might be a better way to go, if you are in fact just thinking about adding some more muscle mass because you think you should or just want to.

OFF SUBJECT BUT: Where is that thread located I have the same problem I am at the 225-235 LB mark at 9% BF and needless to say I have worries about running into the same issues he delt with. Runnin a seriously calorie deficiat diet to loose some size for the mountain even cut protien intake in half. Would like to definatly like to read what he had to say "MOTIVATION" because I am running around in zombie mode right now

You could also start increasing your red-meat intake... it has lots of creatine in more digestable and usable forms. I used creatine in college and that stuff flat out worked. It got me bigger and stronger than ever before.....BUT! I also lost that size and strength quicker if I quit supplementing it. Increase your protein intake along with red meat and you will see gains that last longer.

The best workout supplement that I ever used was the muscle milk. It helped my workouts a bunch and helped with recovery and allowed me to work out harder. I would say however that my diet was responsible for a MINIMUM of 30% of my effectiveness when working out. Eat lots of steak, and use a good easily digestible supple pre-post workout and you'll start to see gains.

Mike

sk1

WKR
if you're working out hard, creatine pre-workout is worth it once you have reached a "wall" IMO. In a short 4 month deployment I spent over $700 in supplements and put on 24lbs of muscle, creatine and weight gaining protein were the only supplements worth the money. Creatine will give you 1 to 3 more reps once you feel like you can't possibly do another, it really does work and therefore will help add muscle.

However, I don't believe that is the best way to gain weight...if you can afford to spend the cash per month on weight gaining protein it works awesome..otherwise EAT, all the time. It actually becomes work you have to eat so often, im not talking stuffing yourself, but you need to be eating 6 meals a day and never let yourself feel hungry, if you miss a meal, you're backtracking...I've been there I know. Im 6'1" 185lbs and have decided to be happy with that as I just dont have the time to stay with a program to gain weight....I have gotten up to 210lbs, and got too busy to stick with it and was down to 185 in about 45 days.

you can do it if you really want to gain, but it never ends if you're a hard gainer, good luck.

mohawk32

Lil-Rokslider
Well, first of all, what does your diet look like right now? Second, what do your workouts look like right now?

These last two posts are dead on... I hated coming home from college because there was never enough food and GOOD food with lots of protein in it around the house!

Mike

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
Oh i eat. Im american we have that reputation to fuel. And i eat meat. There are many meals where meat is all i eat. I have the body type most are jealous of (if i chose too but dont) i could easily eat processed burgers, chips, and candy bars all day while watching pursuit tv with my butt flat on the couch and hardly if at all gain weight. I have a amazingly fast metabolism. ( not complaining) my usual meats are pork, beef, and chicken all homegrown with the weekly devouring of as much aligator as i can handle. which is the highest protein meat i have personally found @43 grams per 1/3 pound. I eat until sluggish starting with breakfast around 5-6 times per day. Sometimes i feel eating insanely like most mention to gain is actually opposite for me. I can start the clock after eating and within 30 minutes ill be locking the door in the restroom showing my last meal whos boss. Ive never not had a 6 pack regardless of how much ive missed at the gym and how many beers ive consumed during long weekends. and while lifting and working out for the past year i began introducing powdered proteins to my post workout helped a bit for mass and recovery just feel i need to try something else if i do want to add a couple pounds. Thanks for all the feedback i understand fitness can be as controversial as politics or religion im just curious about those who have used creatine the results they have had and if they load the first week.

mohawk32

Lil-Rokslider
Roger that, you want an easy fix. Hope it works. I can't help ya there. I got stronger the old fashioned way, going in the gym and lifting heavy things.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smaller guys generally always want to bigger.....I was one, 6'00 160....worked put hard and am now 190. I wish I was 160 again. I would concentrate on being as fit as you can. Big doesn't mean you can handle heavy loads better. So many other factors that come into play. I know many small guys who can pack with the best of them. Take a look at most of the Alaskan guides, lean dudes that are mountain tough. Those guys don't even work out, they just work hard.

Nothin wrong with wanting to get bigger n stronger. I am a solid 15 lbs lighter than I was lifting and in the gym a lot. Now I'm back to 165 at 6' tall and an focusing more on getting my hiking muscles in shape than i am about looking good and getting bigger. I want to be able to go all day hard for extended periods. Not even close to where I want to be, but I'm getting there!
good luck with your goals man, hard work is the key ingredient, everything just supports how hard you work.

Mike

Lots of guys on here giving bodybuilding advice. If you want pure size go that route and pump yourself full of creatine. You will lose that size/weight when you get off it as most of it is water retention weight. If you want size quit doing biceps curls and skull crushers and other iso pretty boy muscle movements and start doing heavy squats with correct form along with heavy deadlifts with correct form. Compound movements with barbells. Dont touch machines or any of that stuff. Creatine won't replace those big compound lifts for putting on size.

shaun

WKR
Lots of guys on here giving bodybuilding advice. If you want pure size go that route and pump yourself full of creatine. You will lose that size/weight when you get off it as most of it is water retention weight. If you want size quit doing biceps curls and skull crushers and other iso pretty boy muscle movements and start doing heavy squats with correct form along with heavy deadlifts with correct form. Compound movements with barbells. Dont touch machines or any of that stuff. Creatine won't replace those big compound lifts for putting on size.

Well said. Plus doing legs squats presses dead lifts etc naturally releases testosterone into your body definatly a key to gaining size