Krestrel question

For you guys that are using a Krestrel, and a balistic program, what models are you guys using? Was looking at the Krestrel 4500. It is a bit pricy, was has all the messurment needed (temp, wind, altitude, humidity, baro pressure, altitude density). Is this guy over kill, or what is needed?

OP
fire arrow
I have the 4500NV with Blue Tooth....It's not needed, but nice.

Take a gander at this write up:

http://www.snipershide.com/2012/11/weather-meters-for-long-range-shooting/

Good read. Seems like for the price of a tank of gas you could go from the Brunton up to the 4500. Not sure I would have this as a must go to item for hunting. Have not had enough trigger time for 1000 yard shots while hunting, yet. But, would be a great tool to have while practicing to build up to it. Thanks for the link.

For you guys that are using a Krestrel, and a balistic program, what models are you guys using? Was looking at the Krestrel 4500. It is a bit pricy, was has all the messurment needed (temp, wind, altitude, humidity, baro pressure, altitude density). Is this guy over kill, or what is needed?

Depends on how much you have to burn.

I shot a load of critters over the years with no wind meter, a hand written dope chart, and a mil/moa scope. Old school.

I now use the cheapest kestrel, and shooter on my phone.

Wind and temp are the big two you want.
The need for the rest is overrated IMO. Sure, humidity, pressure, and altitude density will affect external ballistics, but how much affect they have is slight in comparison. The difference on the extreme ends (for example, 80% RH versus 10% RH) is only a slight change (often lower than your standard click value of .25 MOA or .1 Mils). Whereas the extremes of temperature can have quite dramatic changes (depending on powder type, the difference between 10 and 80 degrees F can be 2-4 MOA at 1000 yards).

For me, the basics of wind and temp are the only ones necessary. Save the rest of the dough for ammo and range time. Practice practice practice trumps money spent on gizmos and gadgets.

KMD

Banned
Kestrel 4500, but I don't ever use the altitude data.
I set the altitude to "0" on my ballisitic program and use station pressure, direct from the Kestrel barometer reading.

Also, the Kestrel 400 series calculates Density Altitude, so you can build a DA dope card for quick reference with that DA data from the Kestrel.
Here is an excellent writeup on making & using DA charts:http://www.arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles/Shooting/Downloads/DA/