KRG Bravo Opinions

BjornF16

WKR
Same. I’ll happily carry a 10 pound gun for way less than 1200 yards.

But but you only use your rifle 1% of the time! Thing is that 1% is what determines if your hunt is successful or not.
Well, I'm pretty happy with putting my 6.5CM into the Bravo. I lumped 10.5lb Weatherby around MT mountains last September. The weight didn't bother me as much as the 28" barrel in the timber...and the stock isn't "ergonomic" either.

So I'm thinking 18.5" 6.5 PRC suppressed in a Bravo may be a good direction.

I've come to realize I don't shoot 6lb rifles very well, especially beyond 300 yds.

slowelk

WKR
I recently handled a KRG bravo rem700 long action. I was OK with the idea of 2.9#, but the stock actually weighed in at 54oz, so about a half pound over the spec.

I'm curious if you guys have actually seen bravos come in under 50oz.

TX_Diver

WKR
I recently handled a KRG bravo rem700 long action. I was OK with the idea of 2.9#, but the stock actually weighed in at 54oz, so about a half pound over the spec.

I'm curious if you guys have actually seen bravos come in under 50oz.

I've got a CTR version coming in a week or so. I'll try to weigh it before I throw it on if I remember.

slowelk

WKR
It doesn't make sense that the long action is heavier - less bedding block, less synthetic material. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Still looking for actual Tikka inlet weights.

Lawnboi

WKR
It doesn't make sense that the long action is heavier - less bedding block, less synthetic material. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Still looking for actual Tikka inlet weights.
Long action uses their whiskey fore end and I believe aluminum block. It’s bigger, longer and has more attachment options.

Folding stocks done right are great. The issue is that they are on metal chassis with full pistol grips. Neither are ideal for general field use and in cold weather.
I have seen this mentioned several times in this thread about pistol grips not being ideal for hunting...out of curiosity, what is it you all dislike about them?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have seen this mentioned several times in this thread about pistol grips not being ideal for hunting...out of curiosity, what is it you all dislike about them?

Control. With that, primarily safety manipulation and recoil control/rifle handling. With a pull pistol grip, you either leave your thumb on the strong side to manipulate the safety and/or rack the bolt; or you fully wrap your thumb around the grip and have to release the grip to manipulate the safety and rack the bolt.
If you don’t wrap the thumb, you lose measurable recoil control and control of the rifle if you need to move it with one hand. If you do wrap, you have control of the rifle for maneuvering it, but it’s not conducive to manipulating the safety, and most will eventually stop using it at some point.

Control. With that, primarily safety manipulation and recoil control/rifle handling. With a pull pistol grip, you either leave your thumb on the strong side to manipulate the safety and/or rack the bolt; or you fully wrap your thumb around the grip and have to release the grip to manipulate the safety and rack the bolt.
If you don’t wrap the thumb, you lose measurable recoil control and control of the rifle if you need to move it with one hand. If you do wrap, you have control of the rifle for maneuvering it, but it’s not conducive to manipulating the safety, and most will eventually stop using it at some point.
I see what you are saying. I just started using one for this year...I will keep an open mind about things and switch back if I do not like it!

TX_Diver

WKR
Weighed a T3x superlite 6.5CM cut to 19.25" (because my gunsmith apparently can't read a tape measure...)

KRG Bravo w/ CTR mag (unloaded)
Sportsmatch Rings
SWFA 3-9 Scope
Area 419 Hellfire adapter

9lbs even unloaded for anyone interested in that as a data point. Guessing it'll end up right at 10 w/ suppressor and ammo.

Bigdave

FNG
I have one on a Rem 700 that I love, my 10 year old son also loves it…….

Perfect for getting young shooters behind a rifle that they can easily control. Then have just enough weight to keep them from getting beaten.

Dobermann

WKR
Weighed a T3x superlite 6.5CM cut to 19.25" (because my gunsmith apparently can't read a tape measure...)

KRG Bravo w/ CTR mag (unloaded)
Sportsmatch Rings
SWFA 3-9 Scope
Area 419 Hellfire adapter

9lbs even unloaded for anyone interested in that as a data point. Guessing it'll end up right at 10 w/ suppressor and ammo.
Helpful data point - thanks!

About to go a similar route, with a T3x Superlite (all that was available locally).

What barrel length were you aiming for?

I'm thinking of going to 20", but wondering if an extra .25-.5" would really be that much of a sacrifice of FPS vs a likely noticeable difference in balance for (rare, but occasional) offhand shots, given the added weight of a suppressor.

Helpful data point - thanks!

About to go a similar route, with a T3x Superlite (all that was available locally).

What barrel length were you aiming for?

I'm thinking of going to 20", but wondering if an extra .25-.5" would really be that much of a sacrifice of FPS vs a likely noticeable difference in balance for (rare, but occasional) offhand shots, given the added weight of a suppressor.
This might help make your decision easier. My 18.5" T3X 6.5 CM with the Area 419 system and SiCo Omega gets the following at 1,184' elevation:

147 ELD-M: avg 2,445 fps

143 ELD-X: avg 2,382 fps

Using an impact speed of greater than or equal to 1,800 fps (for both bullets) as my limit, at 1,184' those bullets reliably upset out to 575 yards and 500 yards, respectively.

At 8,000 feet those ranges extend to 775 yards and 625 yards, respectively.

Has any lefty Tikka owner dremelled out the left side of the Bravo? I'm about to pull the trigger on one and have received a few quotes from machine shops in my area, but may be way over thinking it.

Dobermann

WKR
Has any lefty Tikka owner dremelled out the left side of the Bravo? I'm about to pull the trigger on one and have received a few quotes from machine shops in my area, but may be way over thinking it.
Yep - well had an X-Ray done recently for a CTR (lightweight "gamer gun" - as heavy as I want to go), and about to get a Bravo done for a T3x (for a crossover "field" rifle, but also main hunting rifle), both in 6.5 Creed.

The X-ray worked fine, although there was a very small hole - we're not sure if that was a bubble in the plastic, or if we just cut slightly past the material itself ... and it's barely noticeable, and won't affect performance, so we weren't worried. Pics below, and you can see the hole in the close-up.

One thing it did mean is that, because we didn't want to go further, the cutaway is not as steep as on the other side. This doesn't concern me in terms of aesthetics/symmetry, but it does mean that the bolt doesn't sit down the extra milimeter or two that it might have otherwise. Still locks when saftey is on just fine, though - if anything, it's easier to run the bolt, as it's already ever-so-slightly "primed" to be lifted. It's a bit like using an assisted-opening folding knife, if that makes sense.

KRG told me they have no plans to make a lefty any time soon, but that people get their stocks milled all the time for left-handed actions.

Oh, and as you can see, you need to mill both the polymer and the alloy, in the same plane - so worth chatting that through with the gunsmith to make sure they're fine with it.

IMG_4149-for-web.gifIMG_4150-for-web.gifIMG_4151-for-web.gif

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
This might help make your decision easier. My 18.5" T3X 6.5 CM with the Area 419 system and SiCo Omega gets the following at 1,184' elevation:

147 ELD-M: avg 2,445 fps

143 ELD-X: avg 2,382 fps

Using an impact speed of greater than or equal to 1,800 fps (for both bullets) as my limit, at 1,184' those bullets reliably upset out to 575 yards and 500 yards, respectively.

At 8,000 feet those ranges extend to 775 yards and 625 yards, respectively.
Thanks! Do you have any velocity figures for when the barrel was longer?

And I'm curious about the 143s running slower than the 147s ... Frank has often recommended running 130 to 139 for increase in velocity, although that's in a comp shooting context.