Kryptek 2013 Catalog

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
I just noticed that Kryptek published their 2013 catalog online here.

Its a huge download at 58M and they dont have pricing but at least they have some pictures and descriptions.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Awesome clothing! I'm definitely going to be selling my Kuiu stuff soon and get the entire Kryptek line!

It looks nice but I see no reason to sell my Kuiu to acquire it. Might look to add some to supplement other gear.

Awesome clothing! I'm definitely going to be selling my Kuiu stuff soon and get the entire Kryptek line!
armyjoe, why do you want to sell the KUIU stuff? Do you want to have everything in the same camo pattern or do you like the technical aspects of the Kryptek stuff better?

dotman

WKR
armyjoe, why do you want to sell the KUIU stuff? Do you want to have everything in the same camo pattern or do you like the technical aspects of the Kryptek stuff better?

I have had both and ended up selling my Kuiu but I also sold my Kuiu for close to retail and picked up the kryptek 60% off. As far as quality they are both really good so he will not be losing anything if he switches plus I bet he has had a chance to play with and see all the 2013 stuff first hand to compare.

I'm having a hard time believing that Kryptek uses the same material as KUIU all the way around.

I would like for someone who has both look at the fabrics compared side by side.

dotman

WKR
I'm having a hard time believing that Kryptek uses the same material as KUIU all the way around.

I would like for someone who has both look at the fabrics compared side by side.

Who said they use the same material? Kryptek doesn't use Toray fabric. There are a bunch of us that have had them side by side and switched from Kuiu to Kryptek.

Last edited:

armyjoe

Super Moderator

Larry,

I have been fortunate to test the entire 2013 line with Aron while scouting, so I have some inside knowledge of Kryptek.

I want to make sure that everyone knows that I have no real issues with the Kuiu clothing I'm selling, but the Kryptek line just fits my needs better.

Here are a few examples.

The Attack pants are great, but VERY hot for when and where I hunt in Colorado and Arizona. I thought the vent zips would help with this, but after a couple 6 mile trips I found that I'm still sweating my balls off. The Alios and Valhalla from Kryptek are much lighter and have a decent amount more stretch as well. I did not get any pulling of material on the Alios either and the after a few outings with my old Attack pants I had several strings hanging from walking through underbrush.

I'm not sold on the Guide jacket as a needed shell for backpack hunting, as it is not 100% water proof. The Chugach is great for an outer shell, but louder than I would like. The Kaldo rain jacket from Kryptek does not breath quite as well as the Chugach, but it is significantly quieter and more wind proof. The Kaldo is slightly heavier than the Chugach, but the Chugach is not as warm when compared to the Kaldo, so when I'm hunting above 11K (and that's most of the time). So using the Kaldo allows me to have a quite outer shell that I can wear all the time when bowhunting and not worry about noise when drawing the bow and keeps me warmer, just as dry and is a better windblocker.

One of my favorite pieces from Kryptek is the Kratos puffy jacket, and as far as warmth goes, the Spin-Drift just didn't do it for me. The Kratos also has a stretchy material on the side and that allows for more layering when needed. I'm sure the Spn-Drift is great for some guys, but I get cold quick when glassing at 11K+, so it's the Kratos for me.

To me, Merino base layers are base layers and the Kuiu and Kryptek are both fine. The Valhalla from Kryptek is great for warmer weather and like the pants, is much needed in early season Colorado.

Kuiu doesn't have anything like the Borealis jacket from Kryptek, so I'm not comparing anything on this, but the Borealis will be in my pack for sure. This thing is perfect when backpacking in on cold mornings or taking off from camp before daylight. It's a puffy jacket in the chest and Merino wool in the arms and back. So my chest will stay warm and I won't overheat when hiking with a pack on.

I haven't had much time behind the Poseidon rain gear, but it's very light weight (24 oz's for top and bottom I think) and extremely packable, so it's something I look forward to testing in the near future.

I have a lot more I could add, but I want to get more time behind some of the other Kryptek stuff before I comment on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

armyjoe

Super Moderator
A couple things that I should have mentioned in the last post:

I never really liked the Vias pattern and having seen the Highlander in action over seas as well as in the mountains, I feel that it is a far better pattern for hunting. I'm not saying Vias is bad, just not for me.

I'm not sure what I can mention about the owners of Kryptek and their military history, so I will leave that up to someone else. I can say that they have done more for America than any other outdoor company and have made great sacrifices for everyone. Being military myself, that means a lot to me.

Whisky

WKR
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Attacks are a bit on the warm side. The more I use them now, the more i come to that conclusion. And that's in low 30* weather, so I will likely die in Sept conditions..They will be good for late season.

I will be trying the new Valhalla pants when they become availalbe I think...Or have to revert back to my old cotton Carharts and cheap BDUs. :)

jherald

WKR
I've got my Kuiu kit. My dad, being the retired military guy he is, will probably get some Kryptek stuff.

When it first came out, I bought the whole lineup of Kyptek stuff, and it was very good for cooler weather.

My question would be, did Kryptek make a change to their warm weather fabric, or is this just refinement of the existing stuff? I tried their first generation lighter weight pants and shirt in 90 degree weather last year and it got so dang clammy, I had to change into jeans. Breathe-ability just wasn't there, despite it's thinner weave.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When it first came out, I bought the whole lineup of Kyptek stuff, and it was very good for cooler weather.

My question would be, did Kryptek make a change to their warm weather fabric, or is this just refinement of the existing stuff? I tried their first generation lighter weight pants and shirt in 90 degree weather last year and it got so dang clammy, I had to change into jeans. Breathe-ability just wasn't there, despite it's thinner weave.

Material has changed on both the Alios and Valhalla for 2013.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
How do you guys find the breath-ability of the kryptek gear compared to kuiu? I would like to get a good lightweight set of rain gear and the specs show the kuiu at twice the waterproof/breathable rating as the kryptek.
I would pull the trigger on kuiu put not sure about there camo patterns for my area (eastern canada), the highlander looks very impressive.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How do you guys find the breath-ability of the kryptek gear compared to kuiu? I would like to get a good lightweight set of rain gear and the specs show the kuiu at twice the waterproof/breathable rating as the kryptek.
I would pull the trigger on kuiu put not sure about there camo patterns for my area (eastern canada), the highlander looks very impressive.

Are you looking at the Kaldo specs?