Kryptek Altitude: Early To Mid Season Clothing Review ***Updated 2/11/20***

Soolong

FNG
Justin I have been wearing the Arma hoody quite a bit. I have a couple Halstead fleece and Sitka Heavy weight Fleece. I really like the Arma Hoodie but it is cut way different than the Halstead or the Sitka Heavyweight. The cut on the Arama is wider in the sleeves. The fabric is quite stretchy just like the Halstead but the cut of the sleeves is much roomier so the stretch does not really play a factor for me anyway. The Arma feels thicker than the halstead but it does not block the wind any better and seems to dry slightly slower than the Halstead. I do not own the Klamath because I dislike the hood zipping all the way to my nose so I have no experience with it. The hood on the Arma only adjusts vertically and the hood is slightly large so it is slightly in your peripheral vision. I wish the hood had a rear adjustment on the Arma as that would have solved this issue. The Arma feels much heavier in general over the Halstead but it has a full zipper, two hand pockets with zippers and a hood with adjustment cord so it really is a whole different animal. I personally don't think that the Arma Hoody is any warmer than the Halstead outside of insulating your head with the hood. I like them both equally for differn't reasons. Hope this helps. I can post some pictures of me wearing the Arma Hoody so you can see the fit on the arms or if you have any other questions just let me know. Just for reference I wear an Large in the Halstead, Xl in the Sitka Heavyweight hoody and the Arma Hoody in XL. I could probably fit in the Large Arma Hoody but I am glad I went XL . I am 6ft3 220lbs and Average build. My chest is larger than my gut....... for now anyway. HA HA!

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Justin I have been wearing the Arma hoody quite a bit. I have a couple Halstead fleece and Sitka Heavy weight Fleece. I really like the Arma Hoodie but it is cut way different than the Halstead or the Sitka Heavyweight. The cut on the Arama is wider in the sleeves. The fabric is quite stretchy just like the Halstead but the cut of the sleeves is much roomier so the stretch does not really play a factor for me anyway. The Arma feels thicker than the halstead but it does not block the wind any better and seems to dry slightly slower than the Halstead. I do not own the Klamath because I dislike the hood zipping all the way to my nose so I have no experience with it. The hood on the Arma only adjusts vertically and the hood is slightly large so it is slightly in your peripheral vision. I wish the hood had a rear adjustment on the Arma as that would have solved this issue. The Arma feels much heavier in general over the Halstead but it has a full zipper, two hand pockets with zippers and a hood with adjustment cord so it really is a whole different animal. I personally don't think that the Arma Hoody is any warmer than the Halstead outside of insulating your head with the hood. I like them both equally for differn't reasons. Hope this helps. I can post some pictures of me wearing the Arma Hoody so you can see the fit on the arms or if you have any other questions just let me know. Just for reference I wear an Large in the Halstead, Xl in the Sitka Heavyweight hoody and the Arma Hoody in XL. I could probably fit in the Large Arma Hoody but I am glad I went XL . I am 6ft3 220lbs and Average build. My chest is larger than my gut....... for now anyway. HA HA!

That's a great comparison. Thank you for taking the time. I noticed the hood had the looser style, but hadn't really thought about the sleeve cut. So it sounds like it's built with the features of a lightweight outer layer in mind vs the Halstead/Heavyweight being more specific as layering pieces.

Thanks again!

Soolong

FNG
I am really liking the new Bora vest. In reality it is just a 3 pocket vest made of c-change with fleece backer. Fit is a slightly slimmer cut than the Bora jacket in an XL. Fits the same as my Sitka Dakota vest. Minor annoyance. The hand warmer pockets have different material than the Bora jacket and my dried out hunting hands catch on the pocket linings. Nice draw cord pulls at the waist.

North

FNG
I did a review of the Kryptek set I used in Montana this year on an archery elk hunt in wet and snowy conditions and attempted to go into detail about each piece:

Kryptek Altitude: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

In addition to the 11 items I reviewed, thanks to the current sale I just picked up the Bora Overmitts, Arma Tech 1/2 Zip, and Bora pants and I look forward to reporting back on those as soon as I have a chance to use them in the field whitetail hunting!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I did a review of the Kryptek set I used in Montana this year on an archery elk hunt in wet and snowy conditions and attempted to go into detail about each piece:

Kryptek Altitude: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

In addition to the 11 items I reviewed, thanks to the current sale I just picked up the Bora Overmitts, Arma Tech 1/2 Zip, and Bora pants and I look forward to reporting back on those as soon as I have a chance to use them in the field whitetail hunting!

Nice review! I commented over on that thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigharge

WKR
Wanted to chime back in on this thread. I had a pair of Tora pants that had a couple cosmetic issues when I recieved them as I stated earlier. I contacted Kyrptek, they were extremely helpful and even though on the website it says the turnaround can be 8 weeks, I had mine back within a week of them getting delivered.

Great customer service and would have no issue ordering from them again.

Also have really been impressed with the tora series, would recommend for anyone looking for an early season set.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Are the TORA pants comparable to the Dalibor pants or the Valhalla?
Hmmmmm, comparable in the sense of comfortable. That's where it ends. Dallibor is polyester, Tora is Nylon. So the Nylon (Schoeller fabric) is going to be tougher. Tora is more breathable than the Dallibor.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to update this thread. I used the Tora line in archery and antelope season, but moved to the Bora line with the colder weather in general season.

The Bora’s Schoeller soft shell fabric is fleece lined and smooth faced. It was a bit warm for me in warmer temps, but absolutely perfect once I got into the snow. The fabric is really snag and rip resistant, which is really important for the burns I often hunt elk in. I also had just the Bora Jacket and Pants in a sudden rainstorm earlier in the year, and I was pretty much shocked by how the “water-resistant” fabric didn’t wet through. Kryptek doesn’t claim the Bora is waterproof, but I will say it is definitely more waterproof than typical soft shells. The Bora line is super breathable when your exerting a lot of energy, but also keeps in the heat when you are immobile. Really great performance.

I really feel like the Altitude line is really about the premium Schoeller fabrics. You can feel the quality when you run your hand around them, and the feel seems to improve with a few washings. I have exclusively washed the Altitude line with Sport-Wash and each garment gets dried on low heat. The DWR performance is still as-new with this method.

I have had a couple minor durability issues. Like the pics earlier in the thread, my Tora pants are showing some white loops of threads in the crotch area. However, the seams have NOT split, and it seems the primary stitching is holding fine. Also, I punched a hole in a gator while stalking my daughter’s elk when an unseen, under snow stob managed to stab me in the shin. A Gear Aid Tenacious Tape patch got them back to waterproof working condition in no time, though.

Keep up on this thread for more updates!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@Matt Cashell I hunted in my Tora's down to almost zero. They squeaked through due to a medium wt baselayer but I'd not recommend (nor would Kryptek) these temps for the Tora. How cold did you get down to in the Bora?

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
@Matt Cashell I hunted in my Tora's down to almost zero. They squeaked through due to a medium wt baselayer but I'd not recommend (nor would Kryptek) these temps for the Tora. How cold did you get down to in the Bora?

Right around 10 below. That was with a poly base layer and grid fleece insulating layer. That opening week of general season in Montana was unseasonably cold...

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
@C.Ryan

Hey man, any chance of getting a weight in the Bora vest? Curious about that with the sale coming up in the next week.

Also, still madness to me that weights aren't on the website, especially when you've already tossed half the Altitude lineup onto a scale. Thanks for your help!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@C.Ryan

Hey man, any chance of getting a weight in the Bora vest? Curious about that with the sale coming up in the next week.

Also, still madness to me that weights aren't on the website, especially when you've already tossed half the Altitude lineup onto a scale. Thanks for your help!

Hey, Chad said he’d do that and chime in tomorrow

Kryptek Outdoor Group

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
@C.Ryan

Justin, the Bora vest in large is 14oz. We are working on getting weights put on the website!

Hope this helps!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here is Kryptek’s Black Friday sale. It runs through 12/9.
9d1ade9a3d14d9558907cb215230328b.jpg

Jamo

FNG
Hey guys, great info here on the thread. I had purchased the ArmaTech half zip and ArmaFleece Hoodie earlier and was very impressed. After reading the reviews here I took the plunge.......So I now have the Bora pants, vest, beanie, neck gaiter and jacket, along with the Ghar jacket. Everything looks/feels great so far. Will be running these throughout the winter here in MN to see how it goes with various activities. My question is what does a person want to wash them with? Hoping to quiet them down a bit. I’ve been pretty much a merino guy up until recently and wondering what everyone uses for these types of materials to keep them clean and keep the DWR good. Any suggestions on your favorite wash detergents would be great! Thanks!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hey guys, great info here on the thread. I had purchased the ArmaTech half zip and ArmaFleece Hoodie earlier and was very impressed. After reading the reviews here I took the plunge.......So I now have the Bora pants, vest, beanie, neck gaiter and jacket, along with the Ghar jacket. Everything looks/feels great so far. Will be running these throughout the winter here in MN to see how it goes with various activities. My question is what does a person want to wash them with? Hoping to quiet them down a bit. I’ve been pretty much a merino guy up until recently and wondering what everyone uses for these types of materials to keep them clean and keep the DWR good. Any suggestions on your favorite wash detergents would be great! Thanks!
I've always used the Atsko SportWash with all my hunting gear as it doesn't have any UV brighteners or anything. You could use that, or the Nikwax stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jamo

FNG
I've always used the Atsko SportWash with all my hunting gear as it doesn't have any UV brighteners or anything. You could use that, or the Nikwax stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks, I’ve used the Nikwax stuff on other garments previously. I’ll check out the Atsko. Thanks again.