But certainly lacks the UV prevention that hunting specific brands do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
If buying from the grocery store...
3eb1e6d59f22ed7c611d7e21bff33d1e.jpg

I've used that one too Robby. I don't think it has any UV brighteners, but when I have it I use the Atsko stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jamo

FNG
Thanks! The ALL Free n Clear is actually what we use normally due to my daughter havi
If buying from the grocery store...
3eb1e6d59f22ed7c611d7e21bff33d1e.jpg

Good to know as this is what we normally use due to my daughter having sensitive skin. Thanks guys!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I keep a bottle of Atsko Sport Wash ready just for technical clothing and used it exclusively on the Kryptek Altitude gear.

I really think this is a key to keeping high performance clothing performing at a high level, especially for anything that has a DWR finish.

Jamo

FNG
I keep a bottle of Atsko Sport Wash ready just for technical clothing and used it exclusively on the Kryptek Altitude gear.

I really think this is a key to keeping high performance clothing performing at a high level, especially for anything that has a DWR finish.

Ya I'd have to agree, with the amount of money spent on this gear, a person would probably be wise to take every precautionary measure they can to keep it up to par.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

So the Atsko does more than just the UV prevention?

Jamo

FNG
So I was looking at each of the website's descriptions for the detergents. It appears that Atsko markets their wash as "Residue Free Detergent" that won't "clog the pores of your fabric".
All Free and Clear claims there is "no irritating residue". However, if there are UV brighteners it may leave some sort of residue behind which may clog the pores??
Or maybe it's all marketing! Lol. Either way I think I'll be purchasing some Atsko just for good measure.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
So the Atsko does more than just the UV prevention?

Atsko restores DWR performance, leaves no residue, and is completely scent free.

I have washed older jackets that wetted through and after washing in Sport Wash the DWR was beading up water again.

It also removes bloodstains like black magic.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Atsko restores DWR performance, leaves no residue, and is completely scent free.

I have washed older jackets that wetted through and after washing in Sport Wash the DWR was beading up water again.

It also removes bloodstains like black magic.
Im buying some then. thanks

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
A few questions for those of you that have used this gear:
1. Does the Arma Tech half zip work as a next to skin base layer, or is it better with something else underneath? If something else is the way to go, any recommendations?
2. Does the Bora pant breathe well enough to be used in warmer weather? For a Sept elk hunt for example, could the Bora pant be a single purchase pant to be used all year, or for the warmer weather would the Tora be highly recommended?
3. A follow up for above, does the Tora pant have enough room in the fit to allow an additional layer underneath so that it could be utilized in the October to early November hunting timeframes?

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
A few questions for those of you that have used this gear:
1. Does the Arma Tech half zip work as a next to skin base layer, or is it better with something else underneath? If something else is the way to go, any recommendations?
2. Does the Bora pant breathe well enough to be used in warmer weather? For a Sept elk hunt for example, could the Bora pant be a single purchase pant to be used all year, or for the warmer weather would the Tora be highly recommended?
3. A follow up for above, does the Tora pant have enough room in the fit to allow an additional layer underneath so that it could be utilized in the October to early November hunting timeframes?

Hey Mike!

1. The Arma Tech PU does work as a next-to-skin baselayer, but is mid-weight, and I prefer dedicated baselayers generally. The Arma Tech PU is pretty versatile though and makes a good mid layer, too.

2. The Bora Pant breathes remarkably well for a full-on softshell pant, but is really a mid to late season pant. The Tora is much better suited to September elk hunting.

3. The Tora had enough room for another layer for me. I went one waist size up from my jeans size. The Tora can push into later seasons pretty easily this way.

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Mike!

1. The Arma Tech PU does work as a next-to-skin baselayer, but is mid-weight, and I prefer dedicated baselayers generally. The Arma Tech PU is pretty versatile though and makes a good mid layer, too.

2. The Bora Pant breathes remarkably well for a full-on softshell pant, but is really a mid to late season pant. The Tora is much better suited to September elk hunting.

3. The Tora had enough room for another layer for me. I went one waist size up from my jeans size. The Tora can push into later seasons pretty easily this way.
Perfect, thanks Matt.

LJ Buck

WKR
Anyone know if they are adding anything new in 2020? Everything is still on sale, seems to be pretty late into the fall/winter for that

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
My impression based on video, advertising, & podcast bits and tips is that they're giving it a long run at the reduced price point, seeing how the market responds to it as they try to bring down their production cost anyhow. Probably shooting to strike a better balance between more consistent sales while maintaining a respectable margin.

Shoes

FNG
I think I'm just about convinced to give the Ghar a shot since it seems well liked and is currently one of the cheaper options whilst on sale. One thing I haven't found mentioned (or missed) is how well does it stuff under a soft shell? Specifically Kuiu's Kutana but I'll work with any data points y'all might have. I know it is not the common way to run them but I prefer a soft shell to a rain shell when I can. Thanks!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'm just about convinced to give the Ghar a shot since it seems well liked and is currently one of the cheaper options whilst on sale. One thing I haven't found mentioned (or missed) is how well does it stuff under a soft shell? Specifically Kuiu's Kutana but I'll work with any data points y'all might have. I know it is not the common way to run them but I prefer a soft shell to a rain shell when I can. Thanks!

I used under the Tora and Bora soft shells. It worked great. The Ghar has more loft than a lot of puffies, so it kind of fills the void like expanding foam insulation.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

And I wore it under the Kryptek Vellus Anorak. Gahr worked great as a mid layer too! I did a podcast on the Gahr with Jordan if you missed it.