Kryptek Altitude

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking of buying the Kryptek Altitude line. Has anyone run the whole setup enough to have a view on how well it performs? I’d be very interested in hearing the good, the bad and the ugly.

Yeah the new hoodie talked about in rokslides YouTube video that's merino inside and synthetic outside seems cool

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I tried it on at the Expo, pretty excited for it to hit the market. Quarter zip or full zip version, and the new lightweight top should be a good piece as well. I tried on the full zip, which will probably be what I pick up because the venting option is pretty much endless on that. The Arma is the new fleece/ merino piece, Arma Tec or something like that is the lightweight synthetic version.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
I wear the Vellus coat and pants along with the Cadog 2 pants. With base layers underneath I can go 0 pretty easy and they are tough. Anything lower than that I switch to my Cabelas Berber Fleece or my 050 whitetail coat and pants then I am good for whatever gets thrown at me.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I wear a lot of Kryptek and I usually pick stuff up on clearance, so for that I feel it’s a decent value. I like the look of the Altitude line, but for the prices they are set at, I’d have serious reservations. What I’d like to know from people that own it or handle it, does the overall quality seem any different or better than their standard stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amerimono

FNG
I'm also interested. I use Kryptek but usually buy when it's on sale. Would love to know if the product justifies the price.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got a pair of Tora pants and top. Now that the weather is getting half decent I'll start putting it to the test. Couple of new pieces I'm waiting on that won't be available til June so I'll add those once they get in stock. The DWR on the Altitude gear is pretty awesome, the Tora shirt has a really good feel. Pretty excited to put it to use for spring bear.

OLI62

FNG
I've got both the Tora and Takur pants. Want the Tora jacket but it's out of stock in my size everywhere I've looked. Sneaky's right, the DWR on the Toras is exceptional. Ran the Toras the last two weeks of our hunting season this year where we had a ton of rain and they were fantastic.

I'm leaving for New Zealand in ten days and plan to take them along with a pair of KUIU Pro's. Interested to see how they compare to each other.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got both the Tora and Takur pants. Want the Tora jacket but it's out of stock in my size everywhere I've looked. Sneaky's right, the DWR on the Toras is exceptional. Ran the Toras the last two weeks of our hunting season this year where we had a ton of rain and they were fantastic.

I'm leaving for New Zealand in ten days and plan to take them along with a pair of KUIU Pro's. Interested to see how they compare to each other.
The Tora jacket will be out in June. I don't wear soft shells much so I can see myself getting more use out of it than the Bora. I talked to them at Sheep Show and Hunt Expo and they didn't have a Tora jacket at either. They had the new Arma tops and the Altitude printed Ghar jacket, but still no hood on it. I guess someone on their design team thinks a puffy shouldn't have a hood. They should be smacked. Do you have the Takur jacket as well?

Sadler

WKR
I agree about the no hood situation. I don’t see how anyone thinks that’s a good idea, but then again, I don’t own a successful hunting clothing company.

As far as the altitude line goes, I just picked up the Tora pants and 1/4 zip along with the bora jacket. I’m stuck in AZ right now for a month but as soon as I get back to north idaho I’ll try it all out bear hunting and report back.

OLI62

FNG
The Tora jacket will be out in June. I don't wear soft shells much so I can see myself getting more use out of it than the Bora. I talked to them at Sheep Show and Hunt Expo and they didn't have a Tora jacket at either. They had the new Arma tops and the Altitude printed Ghar jacket, but still no hood on it. I guess someone on their design team thinks a puffy shouldn't have a hood. They should be smacked. Do you have the Takur jacket as well?

I do not have the Takur jacket. I've been using my Yukon jacket with the Takur pants. When or if the Takurs come up on sale I'll probably spring for one though.

Have you read about the Schoeller®’s and the C-change tech? I agree with the “you get what you pay for” adage. I have used cabelas shadow line in Canada, Sitka line including storm front in Unitas some Kryptek highlander in Sonora. We are going for Moose and wolf in BC this Sep. I’m trying to find a reason NOT to get the altitude line. I live on 5 mountain acres in Utah and this new print will match the best. Normal highlander is awesome but i like it better for dessert sheep verses mountain sheep. Way excited. Also for the two week horse trip the c-change will adjust to being in and out of the saddle. I’ll touch back December to report.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I do not have the Takur jacket. I've been using my Yukon jacket with the Takur pants. When or if the Takurs come up on sale I'll probably spring for one though.
25% off everything on Kryptek.com right now for father's day

How do the Tora pants compare to the Kuiu Pro's for you?

I have a pair of the Toras and have Attacks, chinooks, corrugates, and ascent pants as well. The fabric does seem impressive on the Toras. They are kind of a bootcut fit with lots of excess bunched fabric at the bottom for me. I'm considering getting them hemmed and in the process getting rid of the snaps/zipper which would get rid of some of the excess material. Kuiu style hip vents would be preferable to what Toras have. I have gone as far as to leave the fly open to help airflow (less odd when hunting/hiking alone 😁)

Last edited:

OLI62

FNG
How do the Tora pants compare to the Kuiu Pro's for you?

I have a pair of the Toras and have Attacks, chinooks, corrugates, and ascent pants as well. The fabric does seem impressive on the Toras. They are kind of a bootcut fit with lots of excess bunched fabric at the bottom for me. I'm considering getting them hemmed and in the process getting rid of the snaps/zipper which would get rid of some of the excess material. Kuiu style hip vents would be preferable to what Toras have. I have gone as far as to leave the fly open to help airflow (less odd when hunting/hiking alone 😁)
I love the Toras. We had a good amount of rain while I was in NZ and the Schoeller fabric continued to do a good job shedding water for me. Also, I like the knee pads in the Toras a hell of a lot better than the one's that come in the Pro's. Like you I wish the Toras had longer hip vents, but the fabric seems to do what Kryptek advertises in that it breathes well when your moving (don't know if that makes sense but it's the only way I know to verbalize it). For me where I thought the Pro's did better was when the weather got colder. I tend to run cold though.

I'm a self-avowed KUIU Ho. Their stuff just works for me. But, I gotta say I've been impressed so far with these Altitude pieces I've bought from Kryptek with the Tora pants being my favorites.

Obligatory NZ hunting pic

sneaky

"DADDY"
I love the Toras. We had a good amount of rain while I was in NZ and the Schoeller fabric continued to do a good job shedding water for me. Also, I like the knee pads in the Toras a hell of a lot better than the one's that come in the Pro's. Like you I wish the Toras had longer hip vents, but the fabric seems to do what Kryptek advertises in that it breathes well when your moving (don't know if that makes sense but it's the only way I know to verbalize it). For me where I thought the Pro's did better was when the weather got colder. I tend to run cold though.

I'm a self-avowed KUIU Ho. Their stuff just works for me. But, I gotta say I've been impressed so far with these Altitude pieces I've bought from Kryptek with the Tora pants being my favorites.

Obligatory NZ hunting pic
If you think the Toras shed water well, wait til you try the Boras and Takurs. It's ridiculous lol.