Kryptek for an eastern guy

PAhntr91

WKR
Looking for some pointers in the kryptek line. I really want to try some outer layer pieces this spring into the fall. I have some FL merino base and grid fleece base layers. What kryptek outer layers and mid layers for a whitetail hunter would you guys recommend. I ran the catalyst soft shell this season but looking to get out of that really didn’t work out for me. Thanks

From one of my other posts hope this helps.

Just got my Arma hoody, Ghar puffy and Bora jacket. Was a bit concerned on sizing based on what I read. I'm 6'3", 275 lb, 52" chest, 37" sleeves. 18" neck, think offensive lineman, many moons ago (I'm 60)! Ordered all of them in 3xl. All my other cloths are 2xl or 2xl tall. I only will get a 3xl for sleeve length and shoulder/chest room, waist is usually big enough to fit 2 more people in with me...lol.

The Arma and Bora fit like they were tailor made for me. A relaxed form fit, not tight but no baggyness. These are the smallest 3xl I have ever tried on. Sleeve length, chest/shoulders and length are perfect. Fit more like a relaxed fit 2xl tall. Great freedom of movement. The Ghar is similar just a bit more room in the chest and waist area, not a normal 3xl but a bit roomier than the Arma and Bora. Room for layering. They fit just a bit larger than some of the Sitka 2xl jackets I tried on and smaller than the Sitka 3xl I tried.

The Arma is the longest in the torso by at least 3 inches. Perfect as it will provide great back cover sitting. The wool lining makes this a super comfortable jacket. A bit on the light side but a great base layer. The Ghar has a bit of an extended rear torso, again very nice. Not bulky and surprisingly thin. Hope it is as warm as the reviews say it is. The Bora is a nice length but both the Arma and Ghar are longer. No issues with the cold going up your back when sitting.

No issues with layering a tshirt, Arma, Ghar and Bora. Could easily swap the tshirt for a mid to heavy merino layer with no sizing issues. Again fits like they were tailor made. Great freedom of movement and weight.

These are also gong to be my go to whitetail hunting clothes. Summary from my hunt this year.

Hunted 3rd season, NW CO between Craig and Meeker. Had a new set of clothes this year. Kryptek Altitude Bora outer, Ghar puffy, Arma hoody, Midway lightweight merino long sleeve, Midway shortsleeve synthetic, Kennetrac over the calf midweight wool socks, Irish Setter elk hunter boots and Kennetrac gaiters, Kryptek gloves. Pants were an older set of Bass Pro, Krypto, not made any more. Wish they were they are awesome!!!!!

Weather was 15 to 25 F, 18" snow and very windy. This setup was awesome, when climbing I took off the Ghar and put it back on when glassing and sitting. The Bora stopped the wind!!! At times it almost blew me over, I'm 280 lbs. It held up with no issues pushing thru the oak brush or with the snow. Never cold. Boots and socks stayed dry, gaiters worked perfectly.

Don't remember model of the Kryptek gloves, worked okay but snow stuck to them like velcro. When it did fingers got cold, needed hand warmers. Should have had some glove liners. I'm going to look for a different set of gloves.

Very impressed with the Kryptek Altitude.

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Thanks for all the info. I ran a first lite soft shell set up this season in pa. With a medium to heavy weight merino base and a grid fleece mid layer. The soft shell was ok but it was cold during the later part of the season. I really like all the kryptek patterns and there products definitely seem great. They’re owners seem real cool. Just wanna try them out. You seem pretty happy with the bora jacket do you think the pants would be the same way? Also have your worn the puffy under the bora jacket? Just for being quieter?

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Thanks for all the info. I ran a first lite soft shell set up this season in pa. With a medium to heavy weight merino base and a grid fleece mid layer. The soft shell was ok but it was cold during the later part of the season. I really like all the kryptek patterns and there products definitely seem great. They’re owners seem real cool. Just wanna try them out. I

I have the Kryptek Dalibor jacket and pants for early season and the Vellus jacket and pants for later cold weather. I've been very pleased with both lines. Each keeps me comfortable through a wide range of temps. I always keep a packable Kratos jacket in my backpack in case I need to add a layer, whichever jacket I'm wearing. I've only needed it once under the Dalibor when the temp fell like a rock.

RyanC

WKR
Couple of questions......Archery or Rifle? Tree stand/Spot and Stalk/Still hunting? What temperature range are you hunting in during deer season? This will all help in deciding which line best fits your hunting situation.

Example for top outer layer....As mentioned above, the Bora Jacket. Awesome piece of kit, but I would not wear it if I was hunting whitetail deer with archery equipment.....it's just a bit too noisy IMO. Instead I would reach for the Dalibor, Vellus, or Cadog jacket depending on the temperature. Or I would run a Merino baselayer, Arma hoodie, and Cadog Vest if the temps were in the 40s and above.

Lots of options in the Kryptek line.

- Ryan

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Most of the time it’s Archery tree stand. Sometimes I’ll try a little still hunting. weather temps from 50 down to low 30s. I’ll still hunt in to late season here averages down to high teens and mid 20s

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
I was checking out the dalibor jacket and pants. Looks like it would be nice for an October November archery here? My legs really didn’t get cold this season. It’s more my upper body and hands.

RyanC

WKR
Tree stand hunting in 50s down to low 30s.....I would run the Dalibor pants for warmer days and Cadog pants for cooler days. But if looking for just one.....Dalibor with good base layer will be good. Outer layer top I would look at the Cadog jacket or Anorak if cooler weather and you like a hood. The Dalibor jacket is nice....just a little lite IMO....I don't think it would be warm enough for sitting in a stand at those temps.

Still hunting in 20s down to mid teens.....I think the above would work too, just add some layers underneath the jacket and pants and you'll be good to go.

Anymore questions let me know, be happy to answer them for you.

Cheers,

Ryan

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’d also recommend the Dalibor pants. But I’d look hard at pairing with the Njord jacket and Njord pants for colder days instead of Cadog. Cadog is not windproof, Njord is wind and waterproof. Just as quiet. Or you can swap the Njord jacket for a Vellus jacket. Dalibor jacket is not likely warm enough for temps in the 30s and isn’t windproof. Cold winds go through it in my experience.

If you are not set on kryptek (great stuff), look at the solitude line from first lite. I run them in New York and north east PA. With layering I can use them from 40s down to the teens so they take care of my late season needs.

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
Vellus and njord would also be great options for up top.

Biggest problem with the jacket you had last season is that it wasn't windproof.

ericwh

WKR
I have the Anorak and, while it takes a minute to get into it, it is toasty. I wear a base layer and, if real cold, I have an LL Bean Wool/Primaloft blend sweater. That is all I've needed. I've worn it from October through the first part of turkey season. I like the length. Whatever waterproof layer is sandwiched in there can be a little noisy. Kind of like it squeaks against itself or the other layers. But it's way quieter than a softshell. Pretty happy with this for a jacket setup.

I have the Cadog pants and they are thicker than my other fleece pants. Warm. The lining is quite plush. The outside doesn't do well with briars. If i'm going where I have to hike through briars I wear something else. They can also be too warm to do a hard hike.

For what I do (hard hike in/up and then sit) I am usually hiking in next to nothing and then piling cloths on before the sit. I'm looking at getting puffy pants with full zips. Hike in some tough, thin, nylon hiking pants and then put the puffys on over top. I am good hiking in my base layer shirt and then put my sweater and anorak on.

The main thing is, both of these kryptek items are cut fantastic (for me). They fit perfect, great movement, and there's no extra baggage. But there's no room for baggy layers underneath. They also need to be form-fitting.

Edit: I have the actual Anorak, not the Vellus 2 Anorak with the full zipper (what is an Anorak with a full zipper?).

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
I have the Anorak and, while it takes a minute to get into it, it is toasty. I wear a base layer and, if real cold, I have an LL Bean Wool/Primaloft blend sweater. That is all I've needed. I've worn it from October through the first part of turkey season. I like the length. Whatever waterproof layer is sandwiched in there can be a little noisy. Kind of like it squeaks against itself or the other layers. But it's way quieter than a softshell. Pretty happy with this for a jacket setup.

I have the Cadog pants and they are thicker than my other fleece pants. Warm. The lining is quite plush. The outside doesn't do well with briars. If i'm going where I have to hike through briars I wear something else. They can also be too warm to do a hard hike.

For what I do (hard hike in/up and then sit) I am usually hiking in next to nothing and then piling cloths on before the sit. I'm looking at getting puffy pants with full zips. Hike in some tough, thin, nylon hiking pants and then put the puffys on over top. I am good hiking in my base layer shirt and then put my sweater and anorak on.

The main thing is, both of these kryptek items are cut fantastic (for me). They fit perfect, great movement, and there's no extra baggage. But there's no room for baggy layers underneath. They also need to be form-fitting.

Edit: I have the actual Anorak, not the Vellus 2 Anorak with the full zipper (what is an Anorak with a full zipper?).
Yeah that’s usually my style. A least a mile hike in most of the time in just my base layer top still break a sweat and I’ll set the stand then put my outer layers on

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some pointers in the kryptek line. I really want to try some outer layer pieces this spring into the fall. I have some FL merino base and grid fleece base layers. What kryptek outer layers and mid layers for a whitetail hunter would you guys recommend. I ran the catalyst soft shell this season but looking to get out of that really didn’t work out for me. Thanks

Amazon is running great deals on altitude line. Got the Bora jacket for $198 regular price is $359. Keep checking prices they keep dropping maybe you can get a good deal on one of their jackets