Kryptek Koldo - Quick Review

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
Last weekend I took my Kryptek Koldo out for the first time while chasing steelhead in western Washington. I was so impressed with how it performed, I thought it would be useful to share my experience with it so far.

The conditions: The day started off dry, but by 10 AM it started raining. By noon, it started pouring and did not stop all day. We hiked almost 7 miles in total, some of that on the river, some of that bushwhacking through thick coastal forest.

7034A1C5-3E50-4E06-B001-1C4ABAC1B69F.jpeg

The observations:
  1. Comparison: My fishing buddy had a Filson raincoat. At the end of the day, her jacket wetted out and shoulders underneath the coat were damp, along with hat that was under the hood. Only the brim of my hat that extended beyond the hood was wet. My shoulders and body were bone dry.
  2. Toughness: While bushwhacking, I took a pretty good fall coming over a slippery log. A sharper exposed branch stabbed me in the arm on the way down. It made the kind of sound where I was sure there would be a hole in the rain coat when i got up. Upon inspection, not even a scratch. This thing is truly is bombproof. Plenty of stickers didn't make a dent either. I actually found myself using the sleeves of the coat to protect my waders as I was busting through the bush.
  3. Sizing: I normally wear a medium but chose a large to layer over puffies and other stuff. Out of the box, I was concerned it was a little too large, but layered up, I found the large to be the perfect size with the sleeves being maybe a touch long. The sleeves are a little big and somewhat rigid, but I did not notice excessive material rubbing while casting. On the hood, pull strings make it pretty adjustable- I didnt have.a problem with it.
  4. Noise: I was worried this would be too loud out of the box. While wearing, in the rain, I did not notice the noise. My waders were faaaaaarrrr louder than the coat. My fishing buddy commented on how quiet it was compared to hers. It might be a hair louder than my kuiu jacket, but not much.
  5. Sheen: It does have a slight sheen to it. Looking at some photos from the day, I dont think its enough to worry about an animal seeing me though. I was constantly looking at it throughout the day trying to decide if it would be an issue or not. I went with the black camo pattern. Even though I think the pattern is dumb, it was like half the price of all the other camo and outdoor color options.B54D05B8-2E56-43BA-B277-7253D0E6521D.jpeg
  6. Packability: Not super packable. My Kuiu NX jacket and Northridge pants probably pack down to the same size as this coat does alone.

Overall, if I am expecting heavy weather, this coat will be my go to. Great job Kryptek.

On the steelhead front, I hooked into one and lost it.... :( Still a great day on the river. Hope this review is helpful to anyone trying to find the right coat for their setup. Thanks!

bobinmi

WKR
Last weekend I took my Kryptek Koldo out for the first time while chasing steelhead in western Washington. I was so impressed with how it performed, I thought it would be useful to share my experience with it so far.

The conditions: The day started off dry, but by 10 AM it started raining. By noon, it started pouring and did not stop all day. We hiked almost 7 miles in total, some of that on the river, some of that bushwhacking through thick coastal forest.

View attachment 385860

The observations:
  1. Comparison: My fishing buddy had a Filson raincoat. At the end of the day, her jacket wetted out and shoulders underneath the coat were damp, along with hat that was under the hood. Only the brim of my hat that extended beyond the hood was wet. My shoulders and body were bone dry.
  2. Toughness: While bushwhacking, I took a pretty good fall coming over a slippery log. A sharper exposed branch stabbed me in the arm on the way down. It made the kind of sound where I was sure there would be a hole in the rain coat when i got up. Upon inspection, not even a scratch. This thing is truly is bombproof. Plenty of stickers didn't make a dent either. I actually found myself using the sleeves of the coat to protect my waders as I was busting through the bush.
  3. Sizing: I normally wear a medium but chose a large to layer over puffies and other stuff. Out of the box, I was concerned it was a little too large, but layered up, I found the large to be the perfect size with the sleeves being maybe a touch long. The sleeves are a little big and somewhat rigid, but I did not notice excessive material rubbing while casting. On the hood, pull strings make it pretty adjustable- I didnt have.a problem with it.
  4. Noise: I was worried this would be too loud out of the box. While wearing, in the rain, I did not notice the noise. My waders were faaaaaarrrr louder than the coat. My fishing buddy commented on how quiet it was compared to hers. It might be a hair louder than my kuiu jacket, but not much.
  5. Sheen: It does have a slight sheen to it. Looking at some photos from the day, I dont think its enough to worry about an animal seeing me though. I was constantly looking at it throughout the day trying to decide if it would be an issue or not. I went with the black camo pattern. Even though I think the pattern is dumb, it was like half the price of all the other camo and outdoor color options.View attachment 385858
  6. Packability: Not super packable. My Kuiu NX jacket and Northridge pants probably pack down to the same size as this coat does alone.

Overall, if I am expecting heavy weather, this coat will be my go to. Great job Kryptek.

On the steelhead front, I hooked into one and lost it.... :( Still a great day on the river. Hope this review is helpful to anyone trying to find the right coat for their setup. Thanks!
After running it for a while what are your thoughts?

OP
Alegault

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
After running it for a while what are your thoughts?
I don't think my assessment has changed a ton- still bomb proof and dry.

That said, the packability is always on my mind. I tend to like smaller packs and going as minimalist as possible. For the turkey season day pack for example, I found it to be too bulky. But I kept it at base camp and didn't mind doing any work around camp in the pouring rain in it. On a one night scouting trip, I went with my lighter Kuiu NX to save weight and because we weren't expecting much weather.

Definitely not the every situation coat. Whenever packability is not a concern or I just really really want to stay dry, its probably my go to.

I'll be running it on a week long hunt in Idaho in November. I can post back with any updated thoughts (plus how some other new gear performed) then too.

jpmulk

WKR
Ive worn the koldo pant for the last three days in heavy snow/rain. Also have been impressed!
Update on my own post. I spent another trip in some gnarly weather with these pants. Again, they are comfortable and warm and dry. However, the side leg zippers were binding up in the extreme cold and snow. Struggling to get them zipped with numbing fingers, the zippers on one pant leg ended up popping off their track. Working on warranty now. Hopefully I can get them replaced. I liked the pant enough id like to give them another try.

OP
Alegault

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
I had my kryptek vellus out last week and had similar issues with the pit zip. Didn’t hop the track, but binding a bit was an issue.

I’ll look out for the same with the koldo.

Ive worn the koldo pant for the last three days in heavy snow/rain. Also have been impressed!
Can’t find much info on sizing for pants. Mind sharing what your waist size is and the size pants you have? I’m a 34-32 so that is usually a medium or large.

Would also be curious how much they weigh.

jpmulk

WKR
Can’t find much info on sizing for pants. Mind sharing what your waist size is and the size pants you have? I’m a 34-32 so that is usually a medium or large.

Would also be curious how much they weigh.
Im a 30 inch waist (yes i know im scrawny). Medium fit me perfect. Not sure on weight but felt good to walk in all week

Im a 30 inch waist (yes i know im scrawny). Medium fit me perfect. Not sure on weight but felt good to walk in all week
Thanks

Are these are built to be worn as regular pants, more than something you throw on over regular pants if it starts raining?

jpmulk

WKR
Update on my own post. I spent another trip in some gnarly weather with these pants. Again, they are comfortable and warm and dry. However, the side leg zippers were binding up in the extreme cold and snow. Struggling to get them zipped with numbing fingers, the zippers on one pant leg ended up popping off their track. Working on warranty now. Hopefully I can get them replaced. I liked the pant enough id like to give them another try.
Update on this. I am likely done with Kryptek forever. Worst customer service. Ive been trying for two months to get these pants warrantied. Hard to speak with a person. I was sent the wrong size back. Ive tried multiple times to get this remedied and still do not have the correct size or product back. At one point i was told to restart the warranty process even though they already had my pants. Ive been told three times they have sent me pants. One time i was sent the wrong size and twice they verified they did not actually send the item. At this point, im trying to get them to just refund me. Pretty laughable customer service.

jewbacca

FNG
Thanks for the thorough review and follow-ups. I've been considering Kryptec for rain gear, but I will certainly rule them out if their customer service is this bad.

jpmulk

WKR
Thanks for the thorough review and follow-ups. I've been considering Kryptec for rain gear, but I will certainly rule them out if their customer service is this bad.
I wont buy their stuff again. Quite literally the worst customer service experience ive had.

escadia

FNG
Thanks for sharing everyone. Sounds like a pretty bad customer service experience they had plenty of opportunity to remedy. I have ordered from them before and had no complications. I wish the breathability specs were posted somewhere for koldo gear. Did they do well in that aspect?