Kryptek Sonora

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone tried the Sonora line from Kryptek yet? Looks like another option for warm weather hunting. I absolutely love my Tiburons for my AZ hunting in early seasons, but am always on the prowl for something better. No hip vents on the Sonora pants, so already a step down IMHO, but my opinion can be swayed when I get my grubby fingers on a pair. Who has them? Can you compare/contrast versus the Tiburons for us? Can you post some detailed pics of the fabric? Thanks in advance!

OP
H

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, mine came in earlier than I thought possible! So here we go.

The pants fit similar to the Prana Zion Stretch. Slim, but not skinny jeans. I wouldn't want tree-trunk-legs in these.

For those with the Tora pants, the fit is similar. Slimmer than the Bora...

Length -- mine in 36W/32L -- is good. I always debate between 32 and 34 length in pants. In hunting pants, I always err on the shorter side. Glad I did. They are a generous 32, typical of Kryptek.

These pants are light! Here's a pic of the fabric:
20210305_211731.jpg

You can see it is similar to the Tiburon fabric with dot-holes at the grid intersections (is that an accurate description?!).

Thigh pockets are separate! I know some prefer one pocket with two entrances, a la the Zions, but these are separate. I prefer this. A little forethought, and you'll be situated right. Put stuff in the top-load pocket for when I am upright/walking, and the other pocket for stuff when I am sitting and need access. Posts are worthless without pictures....

20210305_211607.jpg

20210305_211640.jpg

Front pockets are, um, okay. Not too shallow, but certainly not deep. Deeper than some of my OR and Patagonia hiking stuff, but not as deep as other brands. For reference, I wear XL gloves...

20210305_211705.jpg

There are two back pockets without zippers/buttons, but with the top flap.

20210305_220627.jpg

Onto the hoodie. The cut is generous. Not huge, but not form-fitting. The material is 92% polyester. I was hoping for something closer to the pants for air flow. That is not what this hoodie is made of. There are 4 buttons in the front. Three of them are normal buttons, like this:

20210305_211805.jpg

The other, further up the opening in the face area (my descriptions might suck tonight...) is a loop and button, like...

20210305_211819.jpg

You can see the top "regular" button and the "loop" button above.

Okay, onto the extra credit portion. Any ideas WTF this square is?! It is located along the bottom hem and left-side seam.

20210305_211910.jpg

20210305_211930.jpg

I cannot find an entry into it. All 4 sides are sewn (on outside and inside). Now, if someone here were to call me some insensitive name based on my lack of knowledge, not only would it not be the first time, but it might also be merited. If you know/suspect how to break into this thing, let me know.

Last thing...the front chest pocket is generous in its volume. It is deeeeeep. It goes from centerline to the armpit. I am curious to find out if stuff migrates into my armpit and causes discomfort. Pic? Okay...

20210305_211841.jpg

Initial impressions: I will like the pants for hot weather when I am not in nasty stuff (read: cats claw and associated crap that seems to want to kill me in AZ). Jury is out on the top. I want to like it. I think it will be a nice layer. For hot weather in AZ, I foresee me sweating in it. Again, I wish it was made of same/similar material to the pants. Time will tell.

Do you have the Valhalla shirt? If so, which would you say is the more cool/breathable shirt? I'm debating between the Sonora hooded and the Valhalla LS.

Oh. And I'm going to speculate that the square along the bottom hem is for patching holes since the spare button is right there also. Just a guess.

OP
H

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have the valhalla. I did wear this on an 11 mile strip of the Arizina Trail a couple weekends back. Did a great job of shielding the sun, but not making me sweat. Temps started at 60-ish and finished at 80+. I'm liking it more than I thought I would.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the Sonora top in time to test out at a 3D shoot. Temps were up in the mid to high 90’s, with minimal breeze. The shirt was thicker than I expected, but actually did a fantastic job. Idk of anything that would make that heat comfortable, but I wasn’t drenched with sweat, and it wicked moisture extremely well. It was definitely more comfortable/cooler than a sleeveless cotton t shirt.

I much preferred the fit to the Sitka core lw-that was my other choice for a synthetic base layer. Was roomy without being baggy. I also have the black ovis 150 merino hoody, and the Sonora is definitely cooler and dries/wicks much better. I felt clammy and sticky wearing the merino in similar conditions.

I had a Valhalla shirt a few years ago, and didn’t care for it much. I believe it’s a little thicker and less breathable. Even the slightest breeze with the Sonora felt great.

overall I’m extremely pleased with it, and will update this thread after I’ve had more time in it, and will try to evaluate the stink/funk factor

yeah I want to pull trigger on this top, but want to know if it keeps the funk/odor down as well as the polygiene in the Sitka Core lightweight. I think the polygiene odor control is the best I've used.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
yeah I want to pull trigger on this top, but want to know if it keeps the funk/odor down as well as the polygiene in the Sitka Core lightweight. I think the polygiene odor control is the best I've used.
I have some Patagonia base layers with the polygine treatment, and I’d agree-their funk management is top notch. Hopefully I can get in a scouting trips(s) soon so I can test the kryptek’s odor control

I have some Patagonia base layers with the polygine treatment, and I’d agree-their funk management is top notch. Hopefully I can get in a scouting trips(s) soon so I can test the kryptek’s odor control
I was bummed I went to buy size Large in the new camo pattern and they are out of stock and not getting anymore until sept or October.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Dang, just saw this thread. @Jared Bloomgren and I got this stuff too.

Good to see you guys are rolling this gear.

I got mine a week ago but no hot weather to really try it in. Love the fit and I went with the olive and like it too.

Wondering how durable it will be. Seem fine but can’t wait to hear from you all

WRM

WKR
I pretty much lived in the pants in the newer Obksura pattern for 25+ days of FL turkey season. Boss, IMO. There isn't a shirt made that's light enough for that though. I can get soaking wet in a Sitka Ascent shirt before the sun's even up good. Looking forward to the pants again for our early archery.

OP
H

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
I got to spend the entire day in my Sonora pants in SE Arizona. Full desert bloom and 90 degrees. Everything here wants to kill me, I swear. Walked through some nasty crap to get to my glassing spot. The pants have some snags, but minimal compared to what I thought they would look like when I was done. Compared to my otherbrand's Tiburons, they are a little warmer, but offer better protection IMHO. Definitely less snags than my Tibs got going through the same stuff. Of course the Tibs have the side vents and I think the Tibs have a little more baggy fit, so more likely to snag a bit. Overall I like them a lot. Will definitely be my go-to pants for hot weather when I need protection against thorns and catsclaw-type vegetation. Tibs might get the nod for glassing from the truck in hot weather because they are so damn comfortable to me. I'll try to post some pics of the snags vs the Tibs....

OP
H

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
Sonoras on top of Tibs. You can see the Sonoras look like they have bigger pulls, but my legs did not get torn up like they did in the Tibs...
20210822_214741.jpg

OP
H

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
Update: I wore the Sonoras as much as possible this year here in SE Arizona. I love the fit. The problem I am having is that I got into a bunch of prickly vegetation, and the damn things sucked up anything with a thorn. I have washed the pants multiple times to try to rid the pants of the spines, but I cannot get rid of them. When I put them on, I immediately start to itch. I continue to wash them hoping — against all hope I suspect — that the thorns will degrade with time/water/dry out.

Damn nice pants for the money, IMHO. I love the fit. I love the double layered cargo pockets, and I love the breathability. It is just the damned spines caught in the fabric render them unwearable now.

I purchased the Sonora pants this year from Camofire. For the price I paid, I loved them. It was a very humid and warm early archery season and the pants helped make my hunts enjoyable. They did get abused a bit by some pricker bushes and have some snags but they should last a few more years at least. The fit is also good, nothing abnormal. I also killed a buck and a doe while wearing them so that always helps ha.