Kryptek Takur Raingear

RyanC

WKR
Everyone said they fit true to size and I wear an XXL in most everything except the original FL Stormtight which still fits me in XL but leaks. The Kuiu is a bit tight in XXL. I've got fairly wide shoulders and wear a 48 sports coat.

Yeah I think an XL would fit you much better. I know it's getting down to crunch time for hunting season though.

Pac8541

Lil-Rokslider
Bottom line on fit though is true to size? I mean, I'm not a big guy (5'8" 175) but when I take measurements I fit squarely into a large on their chart. My biggest fear is a torso that fits with, as the other guy posted, "freakishly long arms" on the garment.

RyanC

WKR
Bottom line on fit though is true to size? I mean, I'm not a big guy (5'8" 175) but when I take measurements I fit squarely into a large on their chart. My biggest fear is a torso that fits with, as the other guy posted, "freakishly long arms" on the garment.

I'm 5'11'' 175-180 and my brother is 5'10'' 175 and we both wear Large. I wouldn't go any smaller or bigger, a Large fits me perfect. Hope that helps. Also.....if you're not in a hurry to buy, if you're ever down around Tucson I can let you try on the jacket.

Ryan

gelton

WKR
A large should be fine for you. The only thing that I will say is that either the size chart on the Takur is wrong or the size chart on the Kuiu Chugach is wrong. The Chugach lists 37-inch arms and the Takur lists 36-inch arms in an XXL and the Kuiu arms fit me perfect while the Takurs were too long.

Pac8541

Lil-Rokslider
A large should be fine for you. The only thing that I will say is that either the size chart on the Takur is wrong or the size chart on the Kuiu Chugach is wrong. The Chugach lists 37-inch arms and the Takur lists 36-inch arms in an XXL and the Kuiu arms fit me perfect while the Takurs were too long.

And this is why I asked, thank you. I already own a Chugach size large and the whole garment is a bit baggy on me which isn't THAT big of a problem until I get to the arms. They're probably 2" longer than I need them to be and while that's a better problem than being too short, they bunch around the wrists quite a bit. I'm looking at the Takur to replace this jacket both to fix the size (hopefully) and address the fact that the Chugach has started wetting out pretty regularly over the past 2 yrs (the jacket is about 5yrs old). And by the way, I took arm measurements from the center of my neck, over a 90* elbow, and to my wrist at my hip. That's how they're supposed to be taken based on a google search for sport coats.

What I want is a custom tailored jacket but, ya know...

Pac8541

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5'11'' 175-180 and my brother is 5'10'' 175 and we both wear Large. I wouldn't go any smaller or bigger, a Large fits me perfect. Hope that helps. Also.....if you're not in a hurry to buy, if you're ever down around Tucson I can let you try on the jacket.

Ryan

Thank you Ryan, sent you a PM.

AkRyan

WKR
having a semastress shorten the sleeves is easy and cheap. i purchased bora pants that were a large long but only paid $189 (im 5'8" !) cost me $15 to have them made to fit me perfectly with my boots on. the large bora jacket is a little long on me but i would rather that than to short. i put a wrap on my left arm when i shoot my bow.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
$699 for the jacket and $649 for the pants in the Altitude pattern? I'm really wanting to support these guys, but nearly $1400 for a set of good hunting raingear is crazy. I can pay full price for the equivalent sitka and save a couple hundred bucks and not to even mention the Kuiu Yukon at less than half the price not on sale and it's proven as the best of the best by many. As I missing something here?

FYI.. I just got the takur pants for $105 dollars in small size. I wanted to share with everyone on this forum, Amazon’s keeps changing the prices for some reason. The pants dropped from 289 to $105 two days ago. I would recommend keeping an eye on Amazon’s website prices keep fluctuating for some reason for all the Altitude items.

sneaky

"DADDY"
FYI.. I just got the takur pants for $105 dollars in small size. I wanted to share with everyone on this forum, Amazon’s keeps changing the prices for some reason. The pants dropped from 289 to $105 two days ago. I would recommend keeping an eye on Amazon’s website prices keep fluctuating for some reason for all the Altitude items.
That's because they are closing out inventory from retailers because Kryptek sells the Altitude gear direct to consumer now. That's a big reason the prices on it dropped a bunch from when it was released

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sasquatch

WKR
Yukon pants and either the lighter chugach jacket or first little UL jacket

I like the tougher material on my legs as it takes a beating and a Leigh tee jacket for weight reduction.

If hunting in rain I will wear just the Yukon pants nothing else, unless it’s real cold but......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Received mine here the other day and a bunch of other kit I bought from them Best jacket I've ever owned, let's just say the altitude lineup was pretty much bought, minus a few items.

They recommended a XXL as I have a 52" chest and 39" waist, 255lbs. And I gave them a host of other sizing info from other manufactures/etc and how their stuff fits. They also size these to be layered with their Ghar/puffy/etc not to be worn over a sweater or midlayer so keep that in mind if your in warmer areas and ordering.

Jacket is slightly baggy, but when I layer it it is dead on. Sleeves are right length, bit puffy but I just tighten up the cuff and that pulls the material away for shooting with a bow which I tried out here earlier. The jacket actually reminds me of my Triple Aught Design hardshell I picked up years ago but with Better materials and that jackets been around the block(Canada, USA, Africa, Australia) and still going strong. I look forward to abusing umm using this one as well.

Pants, are actually baggy as well, but they are sized for pulling over other layers. What I do wish I had bought however was the gaiters, I meant to grab them but forgot. Regardless the pants fit fairly well, slightly long hence why I wish I grabbed the gaiters oh and they are a little tight in the crotch, kidding they fit well.

Got to test the jacket out the other day in Northern AB, I left for work and the shipment arrived and tossed it in the truck on my way out the door. After the day of driving, I was take the dog for a walk and it was forecasting rain/snow. Ripped.open the box tossed it on over a hoodie and we started walking. Got maybe 20 mins up the MTN/hill and the wind picked up and temps dropped, then the weather came.

Overall, the material seemed to dump the mositure fairly well compared to other hard shells I've had over the years, but that's hard to tell and depends on a lot. Near the top.of the MTN/hill I cracked ppen the pit dumps as I was starting to get sweaty and my god they open up very large and pulled a pile of mositure out if the jacket. I wasn't dry dry but i will say I was not nearly as damp as having done the same thing with a soft shell. The vents also they seem to keep the opening oriented under your arms versus some jackets, where it seems the sleeves rotate and moisture can get in thru the pit zips. That's a plus.

When it started to rain/snow, the jacket kept it off me and blocked the wind very well once I remembered to zip.up.the pit vents. The fit of the hood is exceptional, works with winter hats and baseball caps. Most jackets fail.here and don't seem have the draw cords in n the right spots. Or you have to cinch them up tight.

My only real gripe with the jacket is the zipper pulls, they are a bit to small/danty, I'll change those out eventually though as I like a bit beefier pull. I'd also prefer the hood adjustment cords to be outside the jacket instead of in the collar. I'm fairly sure this was done for bow hunting as I've ripped many off jackets flinging some arrows or had them come back after stretching out and smacking me in the face. So that's not a bad thing, just took me a bit to get the hood where I like it and now it's set.

Really wish they had this rain jacket/pants in solid colours as well. I'd have another set so I wouldn't be running around in camo all the time.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AkRyan

WKR
Received mine here the other day and a bunch of other kit I bought from them Best jacket I've ever owned, let's just say the altitude lineup was pretty much bought, minus a few items.

They recommended a XXL as I have a 52" chest and 39" waist, 255lbs. And I gave them a host of other sizing info from other manufactures/etc and how their stuff fits. They also size these to be layered with their Ghar/puffy/etc not to be worn over a sweater or midlayer so keep that in mind if your in warmer areas and ordering.

Jacket is slightly baggy, but when I layer it it is dead on. Sleeves are right length, bit puffy but I just tighten up the cuff and that pulls the material away for shooting with a bow which I tried out here earlier. The jacket actually reminds me of my Triple Aught Design hardshell I picked up years ago but with Better materials and that jackets been around the block(Canada, USA, Africa, Australia) and still going strong. I look forward to abusing umm using this one as well.

Pants, are actually baggy as well, but they are sized for pulling over other layers. What I do wish I had bought however was the gaiters, I meant to grab them but forgot. Regardless the pants fit fairly well, slightly long hence why I wish I grabbed the gaiters oh and they are a little tight in the crotch, kidding they fit well.

Got to test the jacket out the other day in Northern AB, I left for work and the shipment arrived and tossed it in the truck on my way out the door. After the day of driving, I was take the dog for a walk and it was forecasting rain/snow. Ripped.open the box tossed it on over a hoodie and we started walking. Got maybe 20 mins up the MTN/hill and the wind picked up and temps dropped, then the weather came.

Overall, the material seemed to dump the mositure fairly well compared to other hard shells I've had over the years, but that's hard to tell and depends on a lot. Near the top.of the MTN/hill I cracked ppen the pit dumps as I was starting to get sweaty and my god they open up very large and pulled a pile of mositure out if the jacket. I wasn't dry dry but i will say I was not nearly as damp as having done the same thing with a soft shell. The vents also they seem to keep the opening oriented under your arms versus some jackets, where it seems the sleeves rotate and moisture can get in thru the pit zips. That's a plus.

When it started to rain/snow, the jacket kept it off me and blocked the wind very well once I remembered to zip.up.the pit vents. The fit of the hood is exceptional, works with winter hats and baseball caps. Most jackets fail.here and don't seem have the draw cords in n the right spots. Or you have to cinch them up tight.

My only real gripe with the jacket is the zipper pulls, they are a bit to small/danty, I'll change those out eventually though as I like a bit beefier pull. I'd also prefer the hood adjustment cords to be outside the jacket instead of in the collar. I'm fairly sure this was done for bow hunting as I've ripped many off jackets flinging some arrows or had them come back after stretching out and smacking me in the face. So that's not a bad thing, just took me a bit to get the hood where I like it and now it's set.

Really wish they had this rain jacket/pants in solid colours as well. I'd have another set so I wouldn't be running around in camo all the time.

You nailed it! Zipper pulls and the zippers making noise by your feet are my only complaint and I have already fixed those problems with tape and 550 cord

OP
M

MtnMuley

WKR
I was able to pick up the set for +/-450$ during that time. Great investment

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to pick up the set for +/-450$ during that time. Great investment
Same, and I picked.up.a lot.of.the rest of the kit. All in I spent 1000cdn (incl.shipping), which was more then I intended to spend. walked away with (the takur set up, bora vest, Ghar puffy, the Arma shirts and a pack cover) and I couldn't be happier with the gear. Just wish it came.in solids so I could wear it outside of hunting as well. Again was more the material/quality purchase for me.

Venom One

WKR
Just an update here that I will be sending the Takur jacket back...as much as I wanted to like it, I just couldn't get over the sleeves or how the velcro on the end connects the cuffs. Even with a merino layer, Sitka traverse mid-layer and a puffy underneath they were too long and baggy, especially for bow hunting.

As much as I hate to admit it, I will be replacing it with a Kuiu Chugach, which, while a little tighter across the chest and midsection (not as "athletic" as I would like to be) the sleeves fit much better and are actually fairly tight across the wrist without having to bunch the sleeves up at the end. Both in XXL BTW, I am 6 ft 230 lbs.
I just bought the Takur also and have the same issue. I sized down from a Large to a Medium (my Large Sitka Downpour jacket is the same size as the Medium Takur), but the sleeves are problematic as you said. I can't decide if I'm going to keep the jacket (love the hood design) or exchange for the new Kuiu. I'm considering adding a couple velcro dots in the forearm area to hold the excess material in place. Here's some comparison pictures between the sleeves on a Large Sitka jacket vs a Medium Takur. You can see the Takur is nearly an inch wider (so 2" more material since it's double-over) and all the excess material that it creates when cinched up around the wrist.

Attachments

• 20210731_065404.jpg
    20210731_065404.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210731_065427.jpg
    20210731_065427.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210731_065954.jpg
    20210731_065954.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210731_070014.jpg
    20210731_070014.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 20

sneaky

"DADDY"
I just bought the Takur also and have the same issue. I sized down from a Large to a Medium (my Large Sitka Downpour jacket is the same size as the Medium Takur), but the sleeves are problematic as you said. I can't decide if I'm going to keep the jacket (love the hood design) or exchange for the new Kuiu. I'm considering adding a couple velcro dots in the forearm area to hold the excess material in place. Here's some comparison pictures between the sleeves on a Large Sitka jacket vs a Medium Takur. You can see the Takur is nearly an inch wider (so 2" more material since it's double-over) and all the excess material that it creates when cinched up around the wrist.
Why did you compare a treestand specific archery focused brushed face jacket to a dedicated rain shell? If it isn't the Stormfront then it isn't a direct comparison, the Downpour has an archer's cut in the sleeves. I've got long arms and don't have the issues you guys are having. I've got room to layer underneath the shell which is a requirement for any rain gear I purchase.

gelton

WKR
Why did you compare a treestand specific archery focused brushed face jacket to a dedicated rain shell? If it isn't the Stormfront then it isn't a direct comparison, the Downpour has an archer's cut in the sleeves. I've got long arms and don't have the issues you guys are having. I've got room to layer underneath the shell which is a requirement for any rain gear I purchase.

I think the key here is you have long arms. It's almost as if the Takur was built with normal sizing in the chest but tall sizing in the arms. Also, while having room to layer is important, there isn't much layering needed under a rain shell during archery (at least most of the time) and that is where the bunching at the bottom of the forearm/top of the wrist becomes a problem.

As much as I would like to try the Takur, I will stick with my kutana storm shell. I had to size up one size as usual in kuiu but he fit Is awesome for rain gear. Sleeves are plenty long but slim enough cut to shoot a bow without concerns.

Venom One

WKR

Why did I compare a tree stand specific, archery focused, brushed-face jacket to a dedicated rain shell?

Well, the very simple answer is:
1. That's what I own and what I have to compare.
2. They're both supposed to keep you dry in the rain
3. They're both supposed to fit an average person without flapping forearm material
4. We're in an archery forum so I figured archery folks should know they might run into this issue if they're not 6'8" with bear paws.
5. I'm not a tree stand hunter, but find the Downpour works quite well for "normal" hunting so it's "dedicated tree stand" designation means nothing to me.

I think the Takur is an excellent piece, but I'm also betting more people will have the same issue me and Gelton are highlighting, than those who find it a non-issue. Regardless, this is a forum to share experiences and hopefully help others.

Moosekill

FNG
Bringing back up an older thread. I hunt in Northern Maine, mostly moving around and not sitting in tree stands all day. I have an old LL Bean gortex jacket I have used for 12 years or so that is at the end of its life cycle, and looking for an outer shell that I can wear day in/day out whether it is 50 out or 5 in the sun/mist/downpour/snowstorms. Understanding that I will layer as it gets lower, what are your thoughts on using the Takur shell as "the one"? I would like the fabric to be on the quiter side, but it is mostly rifle hunting so I don't expect it to be silent, and would give up a little quiet for water/wind proof, breathable and comfortable. Thanks!