Kryptek

mdfanatic

FNG
Wonder what the general consensus is on Kryptek camo clothing? Good buy for the money? It seems a bit cheaper than Kuiu/Sitka and more readily available as well.

I see tons of stuff for sale in the classifieds - all Kuiu, First Lite, Sitka - hardly any Kryptek.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
They have a lot of nice stuff. I have a few pieces. I wish they would lean away from the military tactical side with the Velcro patches and pockets way down the leg like a pilot jumpsuit. Oh well, seems no one company has the best in each piece.

I love their Anorak, puffy, a few of the pants.

Tsnider

WKR
havent used anything else, but i really like kryptek. its high end gear just like any of the others, im sure they arent perfect to someone who has tried them all. it all holds up well in my experience and im fairly hard on stuff. my Koldo rain gear has held up way better than i expected it to when i bought it like 4 years ago. just got the puffy this year.

pocket placement doesnt bother me much. i agree i could do without the velcro but its not a real problem. i think the deal with kryptek is they dont do quite as good at marketing as the others do.

the highlander pattern is top notch. i have had friends over the years stop and stare out to see where i went, and im only like 20 yards away and their eyesight just looked over me. i love their stuff and plan to stick with them.

I ordered a pair of Valhalla pants and a hyperion long sleeve shirt a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't keep them. I really liked the material, and the craftsmanship appeared to be just as good as the other big brands. I did not like the way they fit though. The waist of the pants fit exactly as expected, but the legs of the pant really flared out below the knee. It was as close as I've ever worn to bell bottoms. I ordered a size medium shirt, and they sent me a size large by mistake. I went ahead and tried it on, and it fit me like a night gown. I sent it back and got the medium. It fit like a loose fit large in other brands. The length was ok, but it was really baggy. I thought about trading it in for a small, but I was afraid it was still going to be short. I'm 5'11 and 175lbs. If you like loose fitting clothes you'll like their stuff, but it's not for me.

marktole

WKR
I have several Kryptek tops and they all fit me well in size large (I'm 6' and 195#), I really like their stuff. Their pants fit amazing until below the knee as another user pointed out. A pair of gaiters takes care of the problem of the extra material around the calves snagging brush and what not.

I have the Valhalla shirt and like it a lot. I also have the Ragnar pants and while they are comfortable, they have the same bell bottom deal. I'm not sure why they decided to run with that on the pants...

twall13

WKR
I have the Aquillo, Sherpa hoody and Krypton gloves and like all of those pieces a lot. I just purchased a kratos vest off a member here but haven't received it yet to comment on it. I feel like they make quality gear and I love their camo patterns. Most of my hunting pant needs are covered by my two different first lite pants but I might try some Kryptek pants built for colder weather at some point. I think the breathability of their rain gear is a step or two below most of the big hunting brands but otherwise I think their gear is solid. I personally like the more durable nylon of the First Lite Corrugates guide pants and don't think Kryptek offers a nylon pant...

As someone else mentioned, I don't think their marketing is as effective in the hunting community as some of the other brands but their gear is certainly high quality if the fit is right for you. I'd love to try their new Altitude line but at the price they are asking I doubt that will ever happen.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

hawkhunts

FNG
I hae multiple pieces- didn,t like the first gen hoodie, it pilled up, but it was more of a stylistic issue, i don't wear hoodies much. I have the ailos armor pants- a little noisy but super comfortable and really well built. I love the borealis hybrid- my son wears it more than i do but i put that under a vidar scout vest and i'm good to go. I do not have any of their newer fleece items but they seem good too. I just got a pair of valhallas that are really stretchy and will be perfect for early season antelope and September goose hunts here in Michigan.

I am a Kryptek fan. That being said I've never used any other " technical" hunting clothes brand. Now I don't think I have paid full price for anything. I always wait for sales to buy stuff. I have an Einar jacket( no longer make it), Helios shirt, dslibor pants, kratos set(pants and jacket) , Vidar vest. Krypton gloves and just a ball cap. All in highlander. I also had a warranty issue with my Einar jacket with the cuff coming undone and got the cadog set for 50% off since they don't make that jacket anymore. I would like to get the Valhalla set in mandrake for here in NC for spring gobbler and early archery but I haven't seen them for much of a discount.

excaliber

WKR
I'm not a fan of the camo pattern as it bunches together at a distance. IMHO they should have just went with solid colors or a better pattern.

There is one piece I really like though and it's a light weight down puffy piece that may be synthetic.(Aquillo?) That seems like a nice insulation layer but it was well over 200.00 I think.

I think Sitka has it all over them.

I bought the Lykos down jacket ( solid black) it's very warm and cuts wind pretty good, comes with a stuff sack, wish it ws built in, it's got nice deep interior pockets too. It retails at 220.00 but I paid 80.00 ?? I believe for it on a blk friday sale. I don't have any of their camo but will probably buy the Fleece system for whitetail here close to home.

ive stayed with kryptek since highlander came out. there are plus and minuses to all of the companys imop. kryptek fits me really well im 5'8'' 175, really like there merino layers, no itch, fits my body how i want that layer to, the aquillo always in pack with the dalibor 2 ready to put on after ascending, valhalla pants for all seasons and pending on elevation, poseidon or koldo rain gear in pack as well. ive tried a few of there other pants but just like the valhallas, they fit me how i like in a pant, nice stretchy material and dry very quickly. i dont notice any bell bottom.... i prefer the looser fit near my boots and like the waist a lot on them. the kratos pant is nice to have as well to throw on if obtaining glassing point with much time till first movement of animals or when its cold in sleeping bag, although ive added goosefeet custom down booties and pants this year for a down option. kryptek should make a aquillo pant..........been running OR expedition croc gaiters for years but trying the petras and really dig krypteks gloves......overall a company with a great background and good folks behind it. to each there own....not sure what i would run if not kryptek, now with the altitude line it fairly tough to need any change in companys for me. i pretty much stay with what works for me and it does. i have complaints at times but i know i would with any companys product be it its not custom to exact specs of my likes. like others have said early on there was minor problems but from my experience they have been resolved and with anything man made sh_t happens. good luck..........

wanted to edit in that others stated in there opinion kryptek becomes non effective at distance, imop all camo loses its definition at distance and becomes as one. i think its more about the fit and if you like the clothing. after all its all about sent and movement anyhow.... elders killed plenty in blue jeans paired with th ol woolrich jackets.........

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
I like Kryptek, but I will say, I'd never pay full price for a piece. I like the merino base layers, got 2 sets of them. I typically run First Lite kabob pants, with kryptek merino top, kryptek hoodie, kryptek puffie and kryptek rain gear.

Kryptek is great stuff!

The performance is on par with all the other big name brands and their durability often exceeds some of the more well name brands in my experience (looking at you FL and Kuiu). Other benefits is its often on sale and is almost always readily available so you dont have to wait 7 months for a particular piece to be restocked like some of these other brands.

The Highlander camo works literally as well as any other camo on the market. Camo is honestly more for us humans, ive killed plenty in just solids even from a treestand with a wary whitetail within 10 yards.

Id highly encourage anyone thinking about giving them a try to pull the trigger. Be warned though, you will buy more of it after that first purchase.

Like someone else said, I have the Ragnar pants and they must be worn with gaiters, for me, as I dont like the flare. They tried to do an articulated/adjustable knee that doesnt really work for me either.

That being said, for mildly chilly and dry conditions I really like what i think are called the krypton gloves and kiska beanie.

Also, I wear a 1/4 zip baselayer merino top under everything except summertime. I really like it and will use it until it shreds.

I had the same opinion as you, which is why I bought these things. There are people that like kryptek, but I guess their users arent as vocal as sitka and first light.... My old theory was that it was because of gritty bowmen. I guess I am not sure why now.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

I only have a vest that I got on sale for like $25. It is like a soft shell material with a high loft fleece interior. What I really like about it is the hand pockets. They are nice and roomy and actually go backwards also if that makes sense. I can pretty much stick a bottle of water in there and slide it back and it’s out of the way and I can still put my hands in the pockets. I wish all hand pockets were this way. I don’t know if I explained it good but it is a great way to make pockets.

jmez

WKR
I have several of their pieces and have been happy with all of them. Also have some Sitka and Kuiu stuff and haven't seen any real differences between them. I think it is quality stuff.

mcseal2

WKR
I have used stuff from Sitka, Core 4, Russel, First Lite, Kryptek, and Kuiu. Others too, but those are the big ones. All have pieces I really like and others I don't like as well as others have said.

Kryptek I like:
Dalibor II jacket, my favorite softshell I've ever tried, great hood
Dalibor II pants, don't need all the pockets on the legs but great pants
Alios pants, same as other pants
Merino lower base layer, wearing great and warm

Kryptek I don't like
Koldo jacket & pants, just a fit issue they were really big on me in my normal size. Went with FL SEAK jacket and Kuiu Yukon pants in the end
Aquillo down jacket, the hood seems really noisy when wearing it and the cut is a bit short in the torso for me. Replaced with Kuiu Kenai jacket
Sherpa hoody, I just never became a big fan of the fit here either, replaced with FL Sawtooth

None was poor quality or had any issue that way, just comes down to what's comfortable to hunt in for me. I love the Highlander camo, I feel it's really versatile and fits many places I hunt. I think the only two I like as well are ASAT and Mossy Oak Brush.

HookUp

WKR
i have and use some of their pieces and the have all been great. Great experience with their wool base layers, Poseidon rain wear (light use), Cadog and Dalibor jacket and pants for cold weather. Like said above below the knee the pants run long and pant fit isnt great, Id say its their one weakness. The clothing is built tough as hell though. I also wear First Lite and Sitka, no brand loyalty here I use it all.

Like someone else said, I have the Ragnar pants and they must be worn with gaiters, for me, as I dont like the flare. They tried to do an articulated/adjustable knee that doesnt really work for me either.

That being said, for mildly chilly and dry conditions I really like what i think are called the krypton gloves and kiska beanie.

Also, I wear a 1/4 zip baselayer merino top under everything except summertime. I really like it and will use it until it shreds.

I had the same opinion as you, which is why I bought these things. There are people that like kryptek, but I guess their users arent as vocal as sitka and first light.... My old theory was that it was because of gritty bowmen. I guess I am not sure why now.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

My theory is because the Kryptek guys arent as fanatical as Sitka or Kuiu guys. They just want stuff that works and then go out and use it without feeling the need to force it on anyone else who doesnt use it. I was in a few Sitka facebook groups and left due to them being almost bullying about the Sitka brand.

I have pieces from Sitka, FL, Kuiu, Cabelas, but my primary stuff is Kryptek as it works the best for me overall and I prefer the Kryptek Highlander Camo over anything the other companies are offering and I find the camo to not make much of a difference to the animals anyways. Camo is more for the hunter.