Kryptek's new Klisia Sleeping Bags **Updated 6/14/22**

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at the kuiu, sg, WM and maybe this one to replace my current setup. I am a side sleeper and have wide shoulders so trying to find a compromise with the weight and width department and of course bang for the buck. Keep up with the good work and look forward to your findings. Man I love this site but it has cost me a lot in gear ....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

From what I can tell you right now, this bag will save you $100, and has as much room as the WM badger that I tested last year. More room than the SG and KUIU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
While you're at it, tell them one more time to put full leg zippers in all their pants. Sorry....
There's not a single company on the market that puts full leg zippers on all their pants. That's asking a lot of them don't you think?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

There's not a single company on the market that puts full leg zippers on all their pants. That's asking a lot of them don't you think?

No, I don't. And why don't the other companies do it as well? I'm sure there are a lot of guys like me who would be quite willing to pay a premium for the ability to put on and take off their outer pants over their boots without getting snagged. And just because there's not a single company that does it, that's not justification for not doing it. They also took the pit zips out of some of their jackets. Was that a decision based on other companies' practices?

twall13

WKR
No, I don't. And why don't the other companies do it as well? I'm sure there are a lot of guys like me who would be quite willing to pay a premium for the ability to put on and take off their outer pants over their boots without getting snagged. And just because there's not a single company that does it, that's not justification for not doing it. They also took the pit zips out of some of their jackets. Was that a decision based on other companies' practices?
I can't speak for Kryptek or any other company but I'd imagine they omit zippers to save weight as weight is an important factor for most people with technical gear. I'm sure it also saves on cost both material and labor, but I'd guess the main reason is there isn't enough demand for it. I personally wouldn't want full leg zippers on "every" pair of pants or pit zips in every top for that matter. They have their place in certain layers, but not in every piece of gear as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I can't speak for Kryptek or any other company but I'd imagine they omit zippers to save weight as weight is an important factor for most people with technical gear. I'm sure it also saves on cost both material and labor, but I'd guess the main reason is there isn't enough demand for it. I personally wouldn't want full leg zippers on "every" pair of pants or pit zips in every top for that matter. They have their place in certain layers, but not in every piece of gear as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Point taken. But not everybody counts grams and ounces either. And you're right. It certainly is a cost saving measure. As stated, I'm sure many would pay a premium if given the choice. They could at least offer them in a few garments in the line. Options are a good thing.

AkRyan

WKR
Weight, noise, snags etc etc etc. Typically if it's something that easy and nobody is doing there are a few reasons.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Point taken. But not everybody counts grams and ounces either. And you're right. It certainly is a cost saving measure. As stated, I'm sure many would pay a premium if given the choice. They could at least offer them in a few garments in the line. Options are a good thing.
They do offer them in their softshell and rain gear. No different than any other company. Even their Tora pants have short zips on the bottom to help with boot fit. Not every company does that either. Most people wouldn't pay a premium for zippers because they already think the clothes cost too much as is. It's another failure point, another leak point, another maintenance item to maintain.

They do offer them in their softshell and rain gear. No different than any other company. Even their Tora pants have short zips on the bottom to help with boot fit. Not every company does that either. Most people wouldn't pay a premium for zippers because they already think the clothes cost too much as is. It's another failure point, another leak point, another maintenance item to maintain.

Then why do they put them in bibs and coveralls?

Venom One

WKR
While you're at it, tell them one more time to put full leg zippers in all their pants. Sorry....

How do they put zippers in pants that have generic inseams and need to be hemmed to length? The zippers would make hemming impossible.

The question I have is why do they put articulated knees on pants with a generic length. If the pants are 4 inches too long, well, now the knee articulation is too low also and it can't be changed. Either make pants with articulated knees AND standard inseam lengths; OR generic inseam lengths WITHOUT articulation.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
How do they put zippers in pants that have generic inseams and need to be hemmed to length? The zippers would make hemming impossible.

The question I have is why do they put articulated knees on pants with a generic length. If the pants are 4 inches too long, well, now the knee articulation is too low also and it can't be changed. Either make pants with articulated knees AND standard inseam lengths; OR generic inseam lengths WITHOUT articulation.

Yep that was my only complaint of my Valhalla pants.

I’m in between length of inseams, so I had to go with the longer one, and they can’t be hemmed because of that zipper.

I’ve made it work, but they definitely drag the ground more than they should.

Venom One

WKR
Yep that was my only complaint of my Valhalla pants.

I’m in between length of inseams, so I had to go with the longer one, and they can’t be hemmed because of that zipper.

I’ve made it work, but they definitely drag the ground more than they should.

Yep, it sucks. You pay good money for a pair of pants that drags on the ground or pulls at your knees. I don't own a single "high-end" pair of pants because they all insist on articulated knees AND generic inseams. I'd love to try some of the offering, but until they address that problem I'll save my money.

RyanC

WKR
Ok back to the sleeping bag.......Robby can you verify weight and dimensions. Not saying what is on the website is off but always like to get on hand numbers from end user.

Thanks

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Any new reports on testing on these bags? @robby denning with all the testing of sleeping bags last couple years have you noticed any real difference between treated and non-treated down?

I think I just spent something like my 25th night in my bag last week.

We had massive storm, and massive condensation in my SO tent,
5d0a9f7395af3d2f278be3366b1fd570.jpg

and I noticed my foot box got a little cold and a little damp after a few nights (it physically touch the tent during the night several times so I had direct water contact) although it was not soaked. Just seem to lose its heating efficiency.
9a54c430e101d3952dc48dbff257b4b6.jpg

All I had to do was hang the bag up in the top of the tent for a couple hours and it was dry to the touch again.

Bag performed overall well on that hunt although I don’t think I could get it to 15° for me personally, I am a cold sleep or if you’ve read my other reviews.

When I got home, I did this 30 minute soak test, and no water leaked into the interior of the bag.

I really can’t give you a definitive answer between all the bags I’ve tested, on treated versus non-treated.

But I can tell you, these latest generations of bags are really good at keeping water out of the down in the first place. As you can see by the pictures below.
e0679bd31207f896ed04361ca0a9b486.jpg

Pic above after soaking the Kilisia with the hose. Pics below are after nearly 30 minutes of soaking.

cdbf0273daf1f5a37da954484e394d57.jpg

0be39159b0d9b06556dc6a0d3a115f81.jpg

Zero water entered the bag.

Last edited:
Thanks Robby. I am curious about the 32” shoulder width because that is typically a standard bag and not roomy at all. Most bags you have to step up to tall for 34” shoulder width.
could be though, SG isn’t listed as being really big but it sure is nice and roomy in that bag due to shape and design.
I would be interested in fill weight and 3rd party temp testing under laboratory conditions for a little better temp comparison to SG, KUIU and WM.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Robby. I am curious about the 32” shoulder width because that is typically a standard bag and not roomy at all…

I would be interested in fill weight and 3rd party temp testing under laboratory conditions for a little better temp comparison to SG, KUIU and WM.

Sure thing man. I just know I’ve got a little more room to roll around than in the SG.

Can’t add much more on temp rating other than I just don’t think it’s as warm a bag as the rating FOR ME. But if you look further up the post, @Larry Bartlett only his 0-degree to 18-degrees so far…Just remember, I am a cold sleeper!

On Fill Weight, from the Kryptek site: “800 fill DWR treated goose down insulation-620gm”

Does that answer it?

Last edited:
That answers my questions Robby. 21.9 oz of 800 loft down vs the SG at 22.4 of 850 down.
kryptek should be just a bit warmer than the KUIU 15 which uses the EN lower limit 16F with 20.8 oz of 850 plus and SG splits the difference of a different test 21F comfort, 8F limit

Larry was in the 0 degree at 18 degrees

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys! I’ve been enjoying my 0 degree bag and have been happy with it thus far. I haven’t been able to test it in temps much below 20 up to this point. It will be interesting to see how it holds up while using this bag to colder temps. I will be surprised if it keeps me warm at 0 but we shall see! I am impressed with the size as I have used smaller bags in the past. By no means am I a large guy but it would take an awful big person to fill this bag up!

Bring on the cold weather!C7340C17-E021-4D33-AF28-A750A365F2BF.jpeg