KS deer

dotman

WKR
I usually hunt only whitetail here in KS just because I do it in my backyard. This year I want to focus on mule deer and was hoping I might beable to get some tips, not spots but which partof the western side of the state should I try northern, central or southern? Are the WIA crowded? All PM's welcome.

I'll be bow hunting only so i'm hoping the crowds aren't that bad. I do have access to private around Scott City.

ChadH

FNG
i've hunted KS for years, and since I have a Lifetime license I can get a big game tag just like a resident every year (KS is one of the few that allows(ed) that, not sure if it is still offered). Anyway, if you have some specific areas to ask about, shoot away. Generally the WIHA areas are pretty darn good. The problem with rifle season is that Pheasant season opens a couple weeks before and the deer are pushed all over the place. Where you are thinking of going is BIG TIME pheasant country. That can help you or hurt you, just depends. If I could pick one weekend of the year to bowhunt (treestand anyway, spot and stalk would be earlier) western KS, it would be the upland bird opener. The "Orange Army" has deer running everywhere, the rut is on and you see deer ALL DAY LONG. Two weeks later, after the rifle opener, it is a different story usually. If you have pre scouted a bunch of areas, don't expect the deer to be doing the same thing, or even still be there.

If you can bow hunt, go the upland bird opener (and the week before), or go Muzzy hunting early September, that is another great option. Rifle can still be good, but tough, most of the bigger bucks will be in the middle of a HUGE CRP field, with 6' tall native grass, bedded down till after dark. Thick and darn tough to get up on them or even see them. Look for small out of the way parcels of WIHA that others will over look or think are to small to hold enough birds to mess with on a drive with 10 guys.

Chad

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Thanks, yup I picked up the lifetime license a few years ago since I plan to move west as soon as I can convince the boss. May get some scouting in depending on my elk season otherwise it will be three day weekends hitting up the WIHA and just picking an area. This year I just would like to find an area or general area for next year.

Start here: http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Hunting/Big-Game-Information/Deer/Kansas-Top-20-Deer-Records

Here is what Western Kansas has to offer if you put in the time:

2010-11-20_11-48-45_51-1.jpg

P1050358.jpg

P1050368.jpg

P1050369.jpg

I ate my Kansas tag for three years not willing to shoot anything under 180" and this toad taped JUST under 190" Gross. There are SMOKERS all over. This year could be a tough one with the drought. Corn out there is 4' at best...milo is 2' and trying to head out. There isn't going to be a fall crop in most areas. I know most guys are already chopping their corn. Been lots of frail racks the last two years...tons of broken bucks. I think this year will be worse IMO.

The Lifetime License is THE BOMB!!!!! I got it when I turned 16 for $250 at the time...best investment EVER!!!

Gove has been in the record books lately (Matt Palmquist -- would know better). My personal plan is to take off Nov. 7 (Upland opener) through Nov. 15. With the possibility of a quick trip around Halloween.

Focus on what milo is left out there and Milo with adjacent CRP is a HUGE plus.

FURMAN

WKR
Nice deer. I too would like to head out west in a few years. Right now I really want to shoot one of the nice whitetails I'm getting on camera.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
Evan gave you some sound advice. I don't think there is a secret over one area vs. another. The whole western 1/4 of KS could have a great mule deer or it could be void of any. I would focus on areas with lots of WIHA if that is what you plan to primarily hunt. If you have a lot of private around scott city it could be good as well. I have not seen many mule deer at all this summer while scouting, but I am sure there are some good ones hiding in the corn.

Anytime in November is the best time to be out here imo. The big boys obviously become much more vulnerable, but they are also more visible. The only negative is that sometimes they will have a large number of does with them.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Thanks guys, Matt I see you had a few good years. I'm going to take Evans info a try to scout an area in the next few weeks.

K Baird

FNG
Pretty good stuff from Evan and Matt. One thing I would add is to pay attention to Sept. 1 vs Nov. 1 walk in areas. Both have their pros and cons. September pieces would've likely been hunted during muzzleloader season, but allow for an October hunt that could catch the beginning of the rut, probably have less competition, and provide the opportunity for a late-season antelope in some areas, if that interests you. I would certainly check out your private ground possibility and see if they can point you in the right direction towards more. In terms of tactics, Matt and Evan may be a better help, but I will say don't rule out a decoy for that time of the year.

I've started to see some nice bucks lately, but nothing huge quite yet. I'll try to post a few scouting pics. Good luck!

Attachments

• 2012-07-26_15-27-11_482.jpg
    2012-07-26_15-27-11_482.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 2012-07-19_15-39-38_562.jpg
    2012-07-19_15-39-38_562.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 2012-07-05_12-30-31_726.jpg
    2012-07-05_12-30-31_726.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 69
  • 2012-07-02_20-38-20_588.jpg
    2012-07-02_20-38-20_588.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
It looks like I need to spend a little more time getting out in my home state

Hey Kansas is a great place to mule deer hunt..shh! All kidding aside i have taken and placed friends on some nice muleys over the years.. my last 2 taken in 2009 and 2010 both grossed 179" typical. I was after what I thought to be a new ks record in 2010. I have footage of him and placed him grossing 215" as a typical. Most of my ground is south of hays, Ihunt mostly private ground and usually hunt the blackpowder season. I think it is the best season in Kansas for finding and taking nice bucks. They are easier to pattern and have not yet had the pressure of all the bird hunters running around. I would stay north of 70 hiway this yr maybe around Norton Wakeeny area? South of 70 has had 2 yrs of intense drought and most of the grass has been cut. But if you have plenty of time to scout you just have to go find them. Look at aerial maps and find hidden water holes, I know in the areas I hunt the topography changes are so subtle that you cant see a lot of the good spots off the road.. Good luck and I will try and get some pics and maybe a story or two up and going..