KU 5200 question. Luke or Becca

joelbiltz

WKR
I have a SE Alaska mountain goat and brown bear hunt booked this Sept and it just might rain every day I'm there. Question is how waterproof is the KU 5200. Should I use a rain cover or just put everything in dry bags. Thanks. Joel.

I have a KU 3700, and it only leaks at the seams once it's saturated completely. By leaks I mean, it gets a condensation feel on the inside. I use one dry bag for my spare socks and undies...

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Seam seal that sucker! Mine is as water tight as watertight gets now that it is seam sealed. I still keep my sleeping bag in a dry bag, but that is just for redundancy. Took me an hour or two to seam seal it, just used a tube of GE silicone caulk and diluted it down with mineral spirits to the right consistency. Regular seam sealer works too-its the same thing just already diluted for you and alot more expensive.

OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR
Forgive my ignorance but how do you go about seam sealing. Walk me through what needs to be done please. Thanks.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We pretty much just keep water sensitive gear in dry bags...but the KU series is supposed to be water proof if you seam seal the seams. We put together a video on seam sealing tents but it should be the same principle.
It should be visible on the rokslide Vimeo site...I am having trouble posting the link on crummy airport wifi, but if you search you should be able to find it!

I feel more confident in dry bags, not because I don't trust my pack but because it just gives peace of mind to know our water sensitive gear is stored in both a dry bag and my pack. Helps sort/compress gear to make it easier to find and pack as well.

Last edited:

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah essentially you just use a small paint brush like the really small ones, and just paint the sealer onto the seams then let it dry. It doesn't need to be thick, just a thin even layer covering the thread and stitch holes.

dotman

WKR
Kifaru has a good video on a tipi, same concept for any seam just take your time so it doesn't turn out cosmetically bad :). I didn't worry about it but I also wasn't in a high rain location.