KuduPoint Contour+Plus 4 blade broadhead

TheViking

WKR
Bump. Still curious about tip curl on heavy bone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it. Any 2 blade head has the potential for tip curl. Iron Wills, Magnus, Kudu, etc. Read the threads, they’re all very similar.

If you don’t want tip curl, or the potential, then shoot a chisel tip like a QAD Exodus.

socoalt

WKR
How are the tips holding up against heavy bone? Any tip curl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot an antelope hit the off side shoulder and the tip of the broadhead tip did curl. I contacted Kudu and Andy told me to put the head in a vice and straighten the tip back out and shoot it. It still flies great and I use it for practice.

I shot an antelope hit the off side shoulder and the tip of the broadhead tip did curl. I contacted Kudu and Andy told me to put the head in a vice and straighten the tip back out and shoot it. It still flies great and I use it for practice.

Hmm, I may have to try that, I bent one right over shooting a 3D target this year. Had a Kudu contour plus in my number one slot before that. It was at 75-80 yards (can't remember now) on a coyote 3D that I had been shooting all night and had 4 other arrows right near this one.

Made me question the toughness enough to pull this head from my first slot. Would like to use them because they fly great and I like the curved blades and always had great results and cuts from Shuttle Ts.

socoalt

WKR
Hmm, I may have to try that, I bent one right over shooting a 3D target this year. Had a Kudu contour plus in my number one slot before that. It was at 75-80 yards (can't remember now) on a coyote 3D that I had been shooting all night and had 4 other arrows right near this one.

Made me question the toughness enough to pull this head from my first slot. Would like to use them because they fly great and I like the curved blades and always had great results and cuts from Shuttle Ts.
It didnt break and the edge was fine. It never made me question the strength of the head and I don't hesitate to use them. I went on to shoot 2 more animals that season with them.

Bump-looking at switching to Kayagu gen 2 pilot from these. I shot a doe and it severed her spine and buried up to the fletching. Still a touch concerned about tip curl vs a broadhead with a thicker blade. These fly awesome and are sharp!!

Last edited:
I'm just posting to add more context/ info on this head to thread for other people interested and researching.

Last Sunday evening I was fortunate enough to run into a herd of elk while getting ready to do a evening deer sit. My choice of broadheads that I settled on using this year were the kudu contour+, as I have had great success with the regular contours in previous seasons and wanted just a little more cut with the bleeders. I was able to crawl to within 60 yards of 30 cows a a small 5pt raggy running the cows. Eventually a mature cow fed to 40-43 yards and presented a great shot opportunity. But as I drew she caught some movement and got suspicious. She would eventually by the slightest margin quarter away but retain mostly broadside. I then let an arrow fly and hit slightly high and at the back of the lungs on entry, but exiting behind the shoulder blade on the offside shoulder and completely zipped through her.

Upon retrieving the arrow blood on the fletching had some bubbles so hope was some what high on a great hit. Contour+ seemed unaffected and was still very sharp.

Screenshot_20210922-210306_Gallery.jpg

I won't blame the contour+ on this part as it could've just been an issue of a high lung hit and blood had not filled lungs yet, but blood was very very sparse and far apart. I will note that I used the staysharp guide to make these blades scary, scary sharp, and can rule out with high confidence that sharpness of broadhead was not a factor in poor blood trail.

20210919_181048.jpg

With really no blood trail, I had noted where the herd had taken off and stood off in the distance looking back. As I was tracking looking around for anymore blood @~100yds from the shot and 70yds from where the cow was initially hit, I saw a head of an elk bedded at 60yds and figured that must be the elk that I hit as the herd had taken off already at this point. The cow was still very attentive, looking around, and on high alert still. But due to bedding in very, very bushy river bottom brush a follow up shot on the bedded cow was not an opportunity. At this point I wasn't going to push the cow and so I set up at 50yds waiting for her to either expire where she's at, or wait till she stands up for a follow up shot. I'm sure she had seen me making my way to her at this point.

Note: Looking back I think I was a little too aggressive after the shot and not patient.

I'm not sure if she caught wind of me or what, but she sniffed the air and twirled her head, and stood up presenting me with a mostly broadside shot but slightly quartered away. I let another arrow fly and hits the a little low (heart level), but hits the offside leg bone and makes a loud sound. This was the final shot and she quickly expired after.

Upon inspecting the 2nd arrow and broadhead, there was tip curl that occurred when the broadhead hit the offside leg bone.

20210922_202058.jpg 20210922_202124.jpg

I forgot to inspect the corresponding damage to the offside leg in the field, but inspecting the leg bones and shoulder blade now I can not find any splitting of bone or damage to the leg bones that are obvious. This is likely due to me just not being able to find the location of where it hit.

I'm not discouraged from this head after my experience and will continue to use this head as it flies really great on my setup, ability to sharpen and reuse, and price point is pretty reasonable. This head will become a practice head once I straighten it out.

MT257

WKR
I'm just posting to add more context/ info on this head to thread for other people interested and researching.

Last Sunday evening I was fortunate enough to run into a herd of elk while getting ready to do a evening deer sit. My choice of broadheads that I settled on using this year were the kudu contour+, as I have had great success with the regular contours in previous seasons and wanted just a little more cut with the bleeders. I was able to crawl to within 60 yards of 30 cows a a small 5pt raggy running the cows. Eventually a mature cow fed to 40-43 yards and presented a great shot opportunity. But as I drew she caught some movement and got suspicious. She would eventually by the slightest margin quarter away but retain mostly broadside. I then let an arrow fly and hit slightly high and at the back of the lungs on entry, but exiting behind the shoulder blade on the offside shoulder and completely zipped through her.

Upon retrieving the arrow blood on the fletching had some bubbles so hope was some what high on a great hit. Contour+ seemed unaffected and was still very sharp.

View attachment 328823

I won't blame the contour+ on this part as it could've just been an issue of a high lung hit and blood had not filled lungs yet, but blood was very very sparse and far apart. I will note that I used the staysharp guide to make these blades scary, scary sharp, and can rule out with high confidence that sharpness of broadhead was not a factor in poor blood trail.

View attachment 328825

With really no blood trail, I had noted where the herd had taken off and stood off in the distance looking back. As I was tracking looking around for anymore blood @~100yds from the shot and 70yds from where the cow was initially hit, I saw a head of an elk bedded at 60yds and figured that must be the elk that I hit as the herd had taken off already at this point. The cow was still very attentive, looking around, and on high alert still. But due to bedding in very, very bushy river bottom brush a follow up shot on the bedded cow was not an opportunity. At this point I wasn't going to push the cow and so I set up at 50yds waiting for her to either expire where she's at, or wait till she stands up for a follow up shot. I'm sure she had seen me making my way to her at this point.

Note: Looking back I think I was a little too aggressive after the shot and not patient.

I'm not sure if she caught wind of me or what, but she sniffed the air and twirled her head, and stood up presenting me with a mostly broadside shot but slightly quartered away. I let another arrow fly and hits the a little low (heart level), but hits the offside leg bone and makes a loud sound. This was the final shot and she quickly expired after.

Upon inspecting the 2nd arrow and broadhead, there was tip curl that occurred when the broadhead hit the offside leg bone.

View attachment 328833 View attachment 328834

I forgot to inspect the corresponding damage to the offside leg in the field, but inspecting the leg bones and shoulder blade now I can not find any splitting of bone or damage to the leg bones that are obvious. This is likely due to me just not being able to find the location of where it hit.

I'm not discouraged from this head after my experience and will continue to use this head as it flies really great on my setup, ability to sharpen and reuse, and price point is pretty reasonable. This head will become a practice head once I straighten it out.
What stay sharp guide did you get? I am guessing it is usable on both contours and non contour heads?

What stay sharp guide did you get? I am guessing it is usable on both contours and non contour heads?
I’ve been using the ceramic rod on a worksharp guided field sharpener followed by the leather strop. Works great for touch ups.