Kuiu 0° super down sleeping bag

Thunder17

FNG
Anyone have experience with the kuiu super down sleeping bags? I’m in need of a new lightweight bag for backcountry hunting. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

OP
Thunder17

Thunder17

FNG
It’ll be my first down bag and curious if wet weather is a major concern if taking proper precautions. I’d probably keep it in a dry bag while in my pack, and in a “waterproof” tent while sleeping. Also, is it worth the extra money compared to some bags that are a couple hundred dollars cheaper?

I've used fairly extensively the SG Chilkoot, WM Badger, FF Swallow, and Kuiu Superdown. They are all great bags, but if I could only have one - it'd be a tough decision between the Feathered Friends and the Kuiu.

The 12d Stunner Stretch fabric on the Kuiu is super comfortable against the skin and it does actually have a bit of stretch to it - which adds a lot of comfort. It doesn't seem to be as prone to the clammy feeling you can get when using a bag in warm and humid conditions. And their 30 degree model has a full draft collar, which not many 30 degree bags do (I know you're looking at the 0 degree but others may be reading this too).

The downsides of the Kuiu (in my opinion) are the lesser quality down and treated down. They use 850+ QuixDown, which is still a quality product, just not to the same caliber as what Feathered Friends is using. FF uses at a minimum 900 fill power down in their YF models and 950+ in their UL. And they don't use treated down - you can do your own research on the merits and longevity of treated down vs untreated.

I'm squarely in the camp of believing there is more hype in treated down than there are real-world benefits. But don't let that sway you, I'm just a guy on the internet

OP
Thunder17

Thunder17

FNG
Thanks, that’s the exact information I was looking for

I’m built like a tree stump.
IE most bags I can’t move in. I bought the Kuiu bag earlier and it’s super comfortable. I can even get up on my side and I’m comfortable.
It packs well etc.
I like it

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
I've used fairly extensively the SG Chilkoot, WM Badger, FF Swallow, and Kuiu Superdown. They are all great bags, but if I could only have one - it'd be a tough decision between the Feathered Friends and the Kuiu.

The 12d Stunner Stretch fabric on the Kuiu is super comfortable against the skin and it does actually have a bit of stretch to it - which adds a lot of comfort. It doesn't seem to be as prone to the clammy feeling you can get when using a bag in warm and humid conditions. And their 30 degree model has a full draft collar, which not many 30 degree bags do (I know you're looking at the 0 degree but others may be reading this too).

The downsides of the Kuiu (in my opinion) are the lesser quality down and treated down. They use 850+ QuixDown, which is still a quality product, just not to the same caliber as what Feathered Friends is using. FF uses at a minimum 900 fill power down in their YF models and 950+ in their UL. And they don't use treated down - you can do your own research on the merits and longevity of treated down vs untreated.

I'm squarely in the camp of believing there is more hype in treated down than there are real-world benefits. But don't let that sway you, I'm just a guy on the internet
Thank you for the info. that's very helpful, which one of them will be more compact and easy to carry around for backpack country hunt? also do you use an insert, is floor pad a necessity?

Thanks in advance

This is spot on and goes with my same experience. I haven't used the KUIU bag but I have used; WM, FF and SG chilkoot. I love the concept of treated-down, but I have not found any difference in the real work. In fact, I feel like I have had better loft with my regular (non-treated) bags. One, the down is higher quality which will loft better. Also, studies have shown that once treated down is wet, it is prone to clumping. I have experienced this at the foot end of my SG chilkoot. Now, I still love the chilkoot 15, the FF Swift 20 is warmer.

Thank you for the info. that's very helpful, which one of them will be more compact and easy to carry around for backpack country hunt? also do you use an insert, is floor pad a necessity?

Thanks in advance
The Kuiu packed down the smallest but it was also a higher rating, by at least 10 degrees, than the other bags were - so lets just compare the SG Chilkoot, WM Badger, and FF Swallow. In order of most packable to least packable:
1. SG Chilkoot - the 3/4 length zipper helps a lot with this IMO
2. FF Swallow - more packable than the Badger because it doesn't have the full draft collar.
3. WM Badger - has a full length zipper, full draft collar and is a very generous cut

One thing to keep in mind is the SG Chilkoot 15 comes in only one length 6'-5" so although I agree it compresses down real well my FF Swift 20 in a 6' length compressed just a little smaller. The FF has a full length zipper and 20D fabric versus the SG Chilkoot 15 has 2/3 lenght zipper and 15D fabric. I agree with veganhunter that the WM Badger was a little larger compressed due do larger cut, full draft collar and 20D shell fabric.