Kuiu 145 vs 200 Zip-off Bottoms

BDubbYuh

FNG
I am planning on doing a Northern Arizona late season hunt, and would like to pick up a pair of Kuiu zip off bottoms. Anyone out there have experience with the Ultra Merino 145 or the Pro Merino 200 zip of bottoms? If so, which one would you recommend?

Peloton 97 would be my choice unless you have long legs with big calves then go with SG Helio. 145 is fine but if you actually need more warmth then 97 is going to provide that. The 200s are really warm

Dennis

WKR
I agree with both ManyBullets and doverpack12 that 145's will probably not going to be enough depending on which pants you are wearing and how much walking vs sitting you are doing. I have both the Kuiu 145 and the older 210 zip off wool bottoms. I have large calves and the wool 210's seem tight at my calves so I rarely wear them. I have found the system that works best for me is Kuiu 145 wool zip off bottoms and 97 Peloton zip off bottoms. I can use one or both pairs depending on temp and the 97 Peloton only weights 4.5 oz. I realize it doubles the cost, but it gives me another layer and three choices. The 97 Peloton seem much warmer than the 145 Wool and I can wear them alone or over my wool. Good luck!

OP
B

BDubbYuh

FNG
I agree with both ManyBullets and doverpack12 that 145's will probably not going to be enough depending on which pants you are wearing and how much walking vs sitting you are doing. I have both the Kuiu 145 and the older 210 zip off wool bottoms. I have large calves and the wool 210's seem tight at my calves so I rarely wear them. I have found the system that works best for me is Kuiu 145 wool zip off bottoms and 97 Peloton zip off bottoms. I can use one or both pairs depending on temp and the 97 Peloton only weights 4.5 oz. I realize it doubles the cost, but it gives me another layer and three choices. The 97 Peloton seem much warmer than the 145 Wool and I can wear them alone or over my wool. Good luck!
Thank you for the very informative reply! Would you recommend sizing up the 97's since they will be going over the 145's? Also, if the temp did start to rise, which would you remove first?

Dennis

WKR
I wear the same size for both pair and always wear the wool on the bottom as it is thinner and lighter weight. That places the 97's on top which is the first layer I take off and is also the warmest. Both the wool and the 97's are very comfortable as stand alone base layers.

I did send you a PM as well