KUIU 2 Man Tent

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using one for the last 3 years, and I really like it and think it is well thought out. I bought mine with aluminum poles because I'm a little more comfortable with aluminum pole durability, but I'm sure the carbon poles are plenty strong. I've taken it on a bunch of trips in CO both during the summer and during archery season. I probably have somewhere between 50-60 nights in mine. I've also used it in some nasty weather on a September Prince of Wales blacktail hunt, and last fall on a 10 day archery sheep hunt in CO (it rained all week long). It has held up great, and it doesn't show any wear or breakdown. Previously I have used the MSR Hubba Hubba, and 2 different 2P Big Agnes Tents. The KUIU is my favorite out of all of them. I felt it was much more stout in high winds than the MSR and Big Anges tents I've used. I've never used it in any really snow, so I can't speak for it there.

If you do pull the trigger on it, I highly recommend also getting the gear loft. The tent has plenty of pockets on the side walls already, but I personally really like that added gear loft.

OP
J

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Cullenz! I’m going to pull th trigger on it. They offer a kit with th loft and footprint and that’s what I’m going to order.

VERY HELPFUL! Thanks guys!!!

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I have one with Aluminum poles and gear loft for sale in the classifieds. As new.

Ron

I'm in Alaska and am looking at buying the Kuiu Mountain Star 2P as well for hunting Dall Sheep, Moose, Caribou, or whatever I can from August to October.
I've been using one for the last 3 years, and I really like it and think it is well thought out. I bought mine with aluminum poles because I'm a little more comfortable with aluminum pole durability, but I'm sure the carbon poles are plenty strong. I've taken it on a bunch of trips in CO both during the summer and during archery season. I probably have somewhere between 50-60 nights in mine. I've also used it in some nasty weather on a September Prince of Wales blacktail hunt, and last fall on a 10 day archery sheep hunt in CO (it rained all week long). It has held up great, and it doesn't show any wear or breakdown. Previously I have used the MSR Hubba Hubba, and 2 different 2P Big Agnes Tents. The KUIU is my favorite out of all of them. I felt it was much more stout in high winds than the MSR and Big Anges tents I've used. I've never used it in any really snow, so I can't speak for it there.
If you do pull the trigger on it, I highly recommend also getting the gear loft. The tent has plenty of pockets on the side walls already, but I personally really like that added gear loft.
Cullenz, I was in Juneau AK prior to moving to the interior... How long were you on Prince of Whales and was the wind and rain pretty severe? I feel like South East Alaska can really test a gear in a lot of ways no other place can. Also were you successful? Hope you got a nice buck.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I have one for sale in the classifieds. Just putting in a plug. Great tent I have two and now only need one.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that when I searched. I’m waiting for taxes too buy, I won’t have the extra funds till then or I would definitely get yours.

Ive used the storm star for all my sheep hunts in alaska for the last 3-4 years and love it. I like it alot more than my hillebergs. It got left on the mountain this last season, im gonna go with the mountain star now.

Brooks

WKR
I have a Kuiu Mountain star 2 man. I like it and it is pretty solid in high winds . I would never want to sleep 2 guys in it because there is not enough room. Packs nice and small, lightweight and so far I’ve never been wet in it. I spent 10 nights in it last fall.....no problems I like the tent.

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in Alaska and am looking at buying the Kuiu Mountain Star 2P as well for hunting Dall Sheep, Moose, Caribou, or whatever I can from August to October.

Cullenz, I was in Juneau AK prior to moving to the interior... How long were you on Prince of Whales and was the wind and rain pretty severe? I feel like South East Alaska can really test a gear in a lot of ways no other place can. Also were you successful? Hope you got a nice buck.

I was there for 10 days, and backpacked in for 6 days. The rest of the time I was salmon fishing. Relative to what I was prepping for, our weather was pretty good. We did get a lot rain, and we saw some wind gusts that were maybe 30-40 mph but nothing crazy on the wind side. I've had some days/nights in CO archery deer hunting where I got stuck in some micro bursts with high winds, and no issues with the tent at all.

I was successful on a decent buck. I think I caught the tail end of them being up in the alpine. He was already rubbed off and colored pretty good

Attachments

• Blacktail.jpg
    Blacktail.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 114

cast10K

FNG
mtnclimber - what hillebergs did you have? Also curious why the switch from the storm star to the mountain star?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Worked great for me in the NWT. Endured several powerful snowstorms. Did get a good bit of snow coming in under the vestibule, even with the rock walls, but the storms were pretty brutal. There was honestly a point one day hunting when a storm rolled in with strong winds and we weren't sure if the tent would be there when we got back. It never budged. Two thumbs up from me.
2man.JPG

Worked great for me in the NWT. Endured several powerful snowstorms. Did get a good bit of snow coming in under the vestibule, even with the rock walls, but the storms were pretty brutal. There was honestly a point one day hunting when a storm rolled in with strong winds and we weren't sure if the tent would be there when we got back. It never budged. Two thumbs up from me.
View attachment 145331

How did the external poles shed snow? I don’t think it is something I will need to deal with but that is one of my last concerns on this unit.
I’m still a month or so away from making a purchase financially but am trying to make a decision so I can stop researching. Haha.
It looks fine from the pictures but just curious about your experience.

I was there for 10 days, and backpacked in for 6 days. The rest of the time I was salmon fishing. Relative to what I was prepping for, our weather was pretty good. We did get a lot rain, and we saw some wind gusts that were maybe 30-40 mph but nothing crazy on the wind side. I've had some days/nights in CO archery deer hunting where I got stuck in some micro bursts with high winds, and no issues with the tent at all.

I was successful on a decent buck. I think I caught the tail end of them being up in the alpine. He was already rubbed off and colored pretty good

Nice! Glad you had success, that’s a better buck then I ever got in SE (I never got one) and a great experience. Thanks for the reply.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
How did the external poles shed snow? I don’t think it is something I will need to deal with but that is one of my last concerns on this unit.
I’m still a month or so away from making a purchase financially but am trying to make a decision so I can stop researching. Haha.
It looks fine from the pictures but just curious about your experience.

Never had an issue with that....guessing the wind kept it moving so it glanced off of whatever it hit.

mtnclimber - what hillebergs did you have? Also curious why the switch from the storm star to the mountain star?
I have only used the nallo's. Love the side loading of the kuiu vs. front loading of nallo. and 2 vestibules vs. 1. kuiu was much more breathable as well. I felt like the storm star was overkill for sheep hunting in august in september. ill take the weight savings.