KUIU 2 Man Tent

So the mountainstar footprints are sold out, but the storm star 2p are in stock and I called to confirm, they are same size and will work... only difference is they are 40d vs 20d for the mountain star... which I may actually prefer anyway for durability...

Edit to add: as someone stated, I called and they gave me a free shipping code... all good :)

Bumping this up for anyone interested.

Mine came in today and I played around with it for a bit.

Overall impressions are good... Seems like a great, well made tent. Definitely beats my old salida 2 :)

Set up and tear down is easy peasy... Maybe 5 mins tops.

So far I love the external pole concept - I haven't detached the bathtub and net yet... But looks easy enough.

It was breezy when I set it up and it's easy to set up in the wind as you only deal with one tent body/fly... Once staked out it doesn't really go anywhere. I lay the two body poles out per their video and that makes it easy.

The vents rock :)

The walls inside are very vertical - which is awesome. It's cozy with 2 people. Doable, but you better be good friends or married lol.

Couple pics of it set up - I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'5" and we both fit easy enough.

1O3k1imh.jpg

ko2DdWFh.jpg

0DXJ4ylh.jpg

WP7skuSh.jpg

49RkMEPh.jpg

Here are the weights... This is tent body with netting and bathtub, carbon poles, and 10 titanium stakes... It is also the heavier storm star footprint as well as the gear loft... The footprint is slightly over 7 oz by itself. So everything and their bags etc... Basically heaviest it gets. Note: I traded in my titanium stakes and cut off the huge tags. I would think if you drop the loft and footprint you would be around 3.5 lbs.

Sub 4lbs for the entire set up.
ORVCApMh.jpg

Footprint, tent, and loft
Vuz3KI5h.jpg

Carbon poles and 10 stakes
pfyq9lLh.jpg

Next to the salida 2
UddLBBZh.jpg

All in all a pretty good tent IMO. Will test itsome stormy night when I'm feeling adventurous lol.

My only complaint is the stuff sack is very snug... But that is including the heavier footprint so... IMO not a huge deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m surprised by your weights a little. I have the exact same set up (came today as well) except with aluminum poles. Per Kuiu that should only be 1.3 oz more than yours but my weight is 4 pounds 4 ounces. Is the main difference your titanium stakes?

I’m surprised by your weights a little. I have the exact same set up (came today as well) except with aluminum poles. Per Kuiu that should only be 1.3 oz more than yours but my weight is 4 pounds 4 ounces. Is the main difference your titanium stakes?

my titanium stakes are .3 oz each and the aluminum ones were .4... So x 10 only an ounce difference...

Interesting. I’ll have to go through mine and start cutting out tags and stuff and see if I can magically come up with 5 ounces... Thanks for looking at and posting these weights.

yea the one you can see when I'm laying and the large one on the inside of the bag were the only 2 I cut... Maybe my scale is off idk... It has been close in the past so I'm not sure what the difference is.

rj2

WKR

Maybe check your scale. I get 3lb 12.6oz with Aluminum poles as they shipped it, but I added the gear loft already. Mine is the Olive one.

209.5 1st pole
209.7 2nd pole
66.9 3rd pole
7.8 pole sack
98.7 10 stakes
4.2 stake sack
20.1 tent sack
1080 fly with guylines/mesh inner/gear loft

1696.9g = 60.6oz

Maybe check your scale. I get 3lb 12.6oz with Aluminum poles as they shipped it, but I added the gear loft already. Mine is the Olive one.

209.5 1st pole
209.7 2nd pole
66.9 3rd pole
7.8 pole sack
98.7 10 stakes
4.2 stake sack
20.1 tent sack
1080 fly with guylines/mesh inner/gear loft

1696.9g = 60.6oz

that without a footprint?
Edit dump question sorry I can see there :)

Bumping this up for anyone interested.

Mine came in today and I played around with it for a bit.

Overall impressions are good... Seems like a great, well made tent. Definitely beats my old salida 2 :)

Set up and tear down is easy peasy... Maybe 5 mins tops.

So far I love the external pole concept - I haven't detached the bathtub and net yet... But looks easy enough.

It was breezy when I set it up and it's easy to set up in the wind as you only deal with one tent body/fly... Once staked out it doesn't really go anywhere. I lay the two body poles out per their video and that makes it easy.

The vents rock :)

The walls inside are very vertical - which is awesome. It's cozy with 2 people. Doable, but you better be good friends or married lol.

Couple pics of it set up - I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'5" and we both fit easy enough.

1O3k1imh.jpg

ko2DdWFh.jpg

0DXJ4ylh.jpg

WP7skuSh.jpg

49RkMEPh.jpg

Here are the weights... This is tent body with netting and bathtub, carbon poles, and 10 titanium stakes... It is also the heavier storm star footprint as well as the gear loft... The footprint is slightly over 7 oz by itself. So everything and their bags etc... Basically heaviest it gets. Note: I traded in my titanium stakes and cut off the huge tags. I would think if you drop the loft and footprint you would be around 3.5 lbs.

Sub 4lbs for the entire set up.
ORVCApMh.jpg

Footprint, tent, and loft
Vuz3KI5h.jpg

Carbon poles and 10 stakes
pfyq9lLh.jpg

Next to the salida 2
UddLBBZh.jpg

All in all a pretty good tent IMO. Will test itsome stormy night when I'm feeling adventurous lol.

My only complaint is the stuff sack is very snug... But that is including the heavier footprint so... IMO not a huge deal.

Great write up. Thank you.

So 60.6 ounces without a footprint? The 7 ounce storm star footprint would put you at ~68 which is what I’m at. Am I reading this correctly?
So if my math is right... His poles total 17.15 oz as aluminum... subtracted by mine (14.6 oz as carbon fiber) that's approx 2.55 oz + 1.1 oz on my stakes ~ 3.65 oz difference minus whatever the labels weigh... Seems close no?

Edit to add my stakes sack is 3.1... so 1.1 oz savings not 1... I would say you are close to being right on... I think their pole weight difference numbers must be greater then they say on the website apparently.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Goes to show there is more than a 1.3 oz diff between carbon and aluminum poles. Maybe 1.3oz per pole and mislabeled on their site. Who knows. Anyway, sounds like the difference comes down to the poles and the stakes. Thanks again for your help with all these weights!!

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve ran this tent in some nasty wind at high elevation and it held up very well. I’ve been considering running it without the mesh and just using the footprint for a minimalist setup. however the bathtub floor helps prevent “spindrift” and wind..

Anyone run the 2p with just the fly and footprint?

Just had it set up through a 30 minute complete downpour and hail storm... Like washouts on the driveway rain. No leaks with the flatish peak, it will/did collect water on the top - had to shake it off. But no leaks. There was a fair amount of back splash all around the perimeter on the bathtub... But it stayed well below the top of the bathtub.

Anyway... Just a quick update.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bruno59

WKR
since i been seeing all the weights thought i would post mine and scale is pretty accurate everything that comes with it aluminum poles no gear loft or footprint 3lbs.11ounces got mine when they had that big sale have used it a couple nights already set up a breeze held up to wind and rain really liking the tent

I also picked up a Mountain Star 2P during the sale. Only used it on the deck, but feel satisfied so far and I'm excited to camp in it soon. The attached rainfly is going to make this so much easier to set up in the dark when needed compared to what I'm used to. The double entrances with their own gear vestibules will make it perfect for me and my fifteen-year-old to share in the alpine this year with two lightweight sleeping pads fitting fine on the floor space. The true freestanding structure will be great for pitching in thick wooded areas when there's not much flat space between trees (required guy lines makes that more challenging). My only hesitation is the thin floor material (as advertised, it's the same 20D as the rest of the tent). I might buy the 5.5oz footprint for rougher areas.

57.2oz on my scale for the carbon pole version including tent, poles, stakes, and bag, without the optional gear loft or footprint. 52.5oz for tent and poles alone.

Last edited: