KUIU 2 Man Tent

Thanks for the link; I'm going to look into that.

google polycro groundsheet. It’s a common deal in ultralight backpacking world. They make them specific to some tent footprint dimensions but it’s the same material as window insulation and you can cut to whatever dimension you want. Works good for keeping meat clean when breaking down animals and cheap enough that it doesn’t hurt to throw em away after being muddied or bloodied.

google polycro groundsheet. It’s a common deal in ultralight backpacking world. They make them specific to some tent footprint dimensions but it’s the same material as window insulation and you can cut to whatever dimension you want. Works good for keeping meat clean when breaking down animals and cheap enough that it doesn’t hurt to throw em away after being muddied or bloodied.
how does that compare to Tyvek?

how does that compare to Tyvek?

Quite a bit lighter, quieter, packs smaller, but less puncture resistant than tyvek. 0.7mil polycro is light and thin stuff. You'll want to clean the footprint of obvious sharp objects still but they work well at combating wear to tent floors, bivys, or sleeping pads without an inner.

Just a quick update from my perspective on this tent. Finally took the time to set it up after buying it on sale a little bit ago. I personally did not like it, and here’s why. I don’t like the big c clamps that are used around the pole junctions. I can only imagine how hard they would be to clamp with cold hands. I struggled to do it in the warmth of spring with warm hands. I also felt the pole / body clips were weak and pulled a ton on the tent body. And the last cherry on top for me, was that when I got in the tent, my head and feet both touched the ends of the tent, which didn’t make sense to me since I’m only 6’1”. Anyway, not trying to start a fight, but I didn’t like the tent for ME. So I sent it back. Hopefully others enjoy it. It seems like a pretty nice tent. Just not what I was looking for. Maybe I’m too used to my heavy hillebergs and how sturdy they seem to feel. Anyway, just wanted to share my impressions on the tent.

Just a quick update from my perspective on this tent. Finally took the time to set it up after buying it on sale a little bit ago. I personally did not like it, and here’s why. I don’t like the big c clamps that are used around the pole junctions. I can only imagine how hard they would be to clamp with cold hands. I struggled to do it in the warmth of spring with warm hands. I also felt the pole / body clips were weak and pulled a ton on the tent body. And the last cherry on top for me, was that when I got in the tent, my head and feet both touched the ends of the tent, which didn’t make sense to me since I’m only 6’1”. Anyway, not trying to start a fight, but I didn’t like the tent for ME. So I sent it back. Hopefully others enjoy it. It seems like a pretty nice tent. Just not what I was looking for. Maybe I’m too used to my heavy hillebergs and how sturdy they seem to feel. Anyway, just wanted to share my impressions on the tent.
My wife struggled with the clips too... I found that if I held them in my hand with the bracket pointing up and just squeeze, they pop right open.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's all fair. I've had other tents that used similar C-clips (such as my 3-person Mountain Hardwear tent), so you'll want to double-check any other tent prior to ordering them to make sure they don't have those, since they are fairly common. It hasn't bothered me, but something to note if you don't like them.

On the length, they are advertised as 83 inches long, and mine matches that. But if you're 6'1" (73"), yeah that only leaves you five inches to spare on each end, and that's only if you're on fully flat surface and the edges are sloped so those five inches are only on the very bottom surface. I can see that it could be tight if you have a thicker sleeping pad on ground that isn't perfectly flat, which cuts down on the spare space further; and add a pillow, and unless you are using it for just one person and sleeping diagonally, it might be tight for tall people.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the footprints are back in stock, ordered one along w/ a gear loft

set it up in my backyard this evening, went up easily w/ no fuss- definitely nice having the fly pre-attached

will go on it's maiden voyage tomorrow- heading up to a couple of high mountain lakes with my wife; hoping the cutthroats are cooperative :)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got back from our trip in the Elkhorns and very pleased with the Mountain Star- setup easily/quickly, plenty of room for my wife and I (and Tiny Elvis); I was on a 25" wide pad, her's 20"; two guys would obviously be more crowded.

I like the four interior pockets (the gear loft will add even more storage options). Having the fly pre-attached makes pitching a lot simpler. Vestibules have enough room for a pack/boots. It rain a couple of hours in the night, we were high and dry. Both vestibules were staked almost to the ground and we had zero condensation issues, did have both vents open.

Never got very windy, so can't comment much on that, but having owned a lot of different shelters, it appears that it should hold up well.

My only real dig is the lack of two way zippers on the screen doors- such an easy thing, surprised they overlooked that.

u0yA3jb.jpg

qvCM2bP.jpg

Got back from our trip in the Elkhorns and very pleased with the Mountain Star- setup easily/quickly, plenty of room for my wife and I (and Tiny Elvis); I was on a 25" wide pad, her's 20"; two guys would obviously be more crowded.

I like the four interior pockets (the gear loft will add even more storage options). Having the fly pre-attached makes pitching a lot simpler. Vestibules have enough room for a pack/boots. It rain a couple of hours in the night, we were high and dry. Both vestibules were staked almost to the ground and we had zero condensation issues, did have both vents open.

Never got very windy, so can't comment much on that, but having owned a lot of different shelters, it appears that it should hold up well.

My only real dig is the lack of two way zippers on the screen doors- such an easy thing, surprised they overlooked that.

u0yA3jb.jpg

qvCM2bP.jpg
Great review! I agree about lack of dual zippers... Slightly annoying... But at least you always know where the zipper is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ve had this tent for about a month and I’ve used it half a dozen times. I like how quick it is to set up, not having to deal with a separate rain fly and all. Definitely a bit tight for two men but it’s perfect for solo stuff. It feels considerably more stout than a Hubba Hubba at a similar price point and weight.

My one knock on it is the cross-pole carabiners. They can be a real pain to get clipped, especially when the plastic is cold. Even worse when your hands are also cold. I’ve spent a few nights with the gates on those biners open because I just couldn’t get them closed with cold hands. Once they are closed, never had a problem getting them open. I might try to replace them with some sort of easier carabiner, I could see the stock ones being a big problem if you’re expecting high winds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
another couple of nights with TrailStar; night one was a very good test. mountain storm that started with hail, morphed into heavy rain and then rain and heavy winds. was tent bound for just under two hours before it died out; tent handled it fine

309509E1-AA8B-4217-AF46-3FC7592EB2BA.jpeg

Neat little hunting video I watched today where they have the Mountain Star.

They had it in some nasty weather and it seemed to handle it well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
just got back from a trip in the Crazy Mountains- the ladies stole my tent; I had to sleep in the bachelor tent :D

3oawCtX.jpg

jq5kYt5.jpg